Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Practicing martial arts in water

Have you ever tried this? Being immersed up to your neck in water and working on technique....I'd also like to throw one of those Century wavemaster punching/kicking bags in water and work on speed drills.

• Like 1

I've been doing just this for about a year now. I've been meaning to ask the same question and keep forgetting... thanks for bringing it up.

I take my son swimming at least once a week and I got the idea while I was stretching and strengthening a shoulder injury in the water and noticed some interesting energetic impulses.

So I began doing wuji where just my head was out of the water and loved it. I do this every time I'm in the water now. It's good stuff.

The most rewarding exercise by far, is being able to rest weightless underwater at the end of a tummo breathing sublimation cycle. Twenty seven warrior breaths, briefly swallow the energy to ldt, then after a couple heartbeats exhale 90% and go completely limp under water until the urge to inhale becomes a strong thought. Then slide up and inhale and finish the cycle.

The full body awareness is incredible, pure being, it's just awesome. It's really heightened the experience to go completely limp and weightless in a way that cannot be matched seated or lying down, then the fact that sounds are subdued underwater is a great benefit as well.

It's a regular part of my process now.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried this? Being immersed up to your neck in water and working on technique....I'd also like to throw one of those Century wavemaster punching/kicking bags in water and work on speed drills.

Daoist monks practicing Tai Chi submerged in water (starts 9 min. out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvkqYch0V6Y

h

Edited by hagar
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this