Sign in to follow this  
suninmyeyes

witches in Romania

that so true , although in Eastern Europe Christanity and witchcraft is often mixed up . still a lot of people say that witches are the devil and a lot of them disbieleve but go for visit when in trouble :D .

a member of my family lost a rented accomodation -- a room in someones flat becouse one day landlady walked into her room and saw her sitting in meditation . she was accused immediatley of being a witch (which she is not and never been one anyway ) and was given ONE day ( more like afternoon ) to move out .

i think with EU laws and regulations a lot of this kind of discrimination is not allowed (as much :)).

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 2

fascinating. and i thought so telling of the signs of the times was " witches used to ride around on broomsticks, nowadays, they drive new audi" and it seemed like the ones who 'crafted' the law to ban the tv advertising were quick to point out that they are not the ones who actually passed the law!

"Witchcraft among the Cherokee does not resemble that of non-Indian cultures. To understand and respect the beliefs of traditional Cherokee about using medicine, conjuring, and witchcraft you must first consider early Indian societies and consider how this has remained an integral part of Cherokee culture even up to the present day. There are ordinary witches and then there are killer witches. Ordinary witches are actually considered the more dangerous since a person can never be sure he is dealing with one and they are more difficult to counteract. They may even deceive a medicine person and cause them to prescribe the wrong cure if not they aren't careful. One killer witch still spoken of often by traditionalists today is the Raven Mocker."

http://www.cherokee.org/AboutTheNation/Culture/General/TheTraditionalBeliefSystem.aspx

• Like 2

Eh, if hexes and curses worked against politicians we wouldn't have a ruling class. Me thinks there immune.

Remember my comments about the Cherokee in that thread about the student in Oklahoma who was suspended for witchcraft?

;)

• Like 2

,,,,,when i look outside my window, what do i see?

2 rabbits running in the ditch,

you got to pick up every stitch,

romanian gypsies lookin to get rich,

oh nooooooooooooooo

coincidently, well not really, coz with this sorta thing, its always with us.

but i am writing a paper on ancient archetypes,

i am focusing on the Trickster,,

but either from Frye, Campbell, Jung, or Levi-Strauss

i reckon the Witch is always present and deeply embedded.

,,as i look over my shoulder,,,,

Eh, if hexes and curses worked against politicians we wouldn't have a ruling class. Me thinks there immune.

The thing is that even goverment goes to witches too , there is some mention in first video .

However , I do think more and more that there is very real "force war" going on .

As with shamanism and other spiritual stuff there is a lot of buissness interest going on as well as "emperors new clothes".

• Like 2

oh nooooooooooooooo

coincidently, well not really, coz with this sorta thing, its always with us.

but i am writing a paper on ancient archetypes,

i am focusing on the Trickster,,

but either from Frye, Campbell, Jung, or Levi-Strauss

i reckon the Witch is always present and deeply embedded.

rhymin and stylin :D

i have been exploring the Trickster recently myself becouse of Capoeira ...

They are well protected.

• Like 1

oh nooooooooooooooo

Still one of my favorite songs.

I once had my tarot cards read many years ago. I went with a girl I knew who had heard the lady was good.

It was very interesting as I was expecting a kind of vague verbiage which could be applied to just about anyone with a bit of imagination.

It wasn't like that at all. The lady went into a kind of trance and told me things which had happened in my childhood and past, which I'd never shared with anyone.

They were specific incidents which she could not have known about. Then she moved to the present and got it all 100% right and then to the future.

With hindsight, she was right about that too.

I was quite shaken up when I left and didn't discuss it with my friend. I've never had another reading since but I believe that some people (amongst the charlatans) have the gift. Thing is, you never know which.

did you just say , "you never know which" <_<

I wonder if its the same mechanism at work with tarot cards as it is with the I Ching?

becoz, my experience with the I Ching has been extremely reliable to the point of uncanny.

,,,,when I look inside my window,,,,, hehehe

• Like 1

I once had my tarot cards read many years ago. I went with a girl I knew who had heard the lady was good.

It was very interesting as I was expecting a kind of vague verbiage which could be applied to just about anyone with a bit of imagination.

It wasn't like that at all. The lady went into a kind of trance and told me things which had happened in my childhood and past, which I'd never shared with anyone.

They were specific incidents which she could not have known about. Then she moved to the present and got it all 100% right and then to the future.

With hindsight, she was right about that too.

I was quite shaken up when I left and didn't discuss it with my friend. I've never had another reading since but I believe that some people (amongst the charlatans) have the gift. Thing is, you never know which.

yes there are some people who know how to read cards well .

where i am from people read cards ,white beans or coffe cups . you drink the coffee ( proper trukish style coffee made in dezva ) and there will be some residue on the bottom . you turn cup upside down and wait some time .

after turn it into standing position and there will be some "coffee residue landscape " and that is what s being read . i was thought this at early age , so where many others .

it was an entertaimentt for coffee drinkers .

my opinion is that anything can be read with much precision if one understands the symbolism . does that make sense ? dont know how to explain better ..

• Like 2

In the museum in the castle in my town here, they have an original "Witch Scale" and "Thumb-Toe clamps".

They really did weigh women (sometimes, but rarely, men, too) and if they were deemed (by the judge) to be too light for their size and thus light enough to fly on a broom, they would be carried off to the next test: Their thumbs were clamped to their big toes and they were thrown in the river. If they floated, they were again deemed too light and would then be burned because they were considered light enough to fly a broom.

If they sank, I guess they sank.

Dieting was a bad idea in the middle-ages. But if you were poor and starving, and cursed with an active metabolism, there wasn't much you could do to fatten up.

Oh and, at one point in time, they came up with a particularly nasty way of burning witches. Plain old shackling them and throwing them on a bonfire was considered too humane for witches accused (and in the people's minds guilty) of especially egregious witchy-things like causing bad weather that resulted in crop failure. For those witches, they built a higher pole with a seat on it, where the witch would be shackled. The fire below would be high enough and hot enough to slow cook them over a period of many hours, I forget how many, but it was too many, like twelve. The bodies would look mummified after the process.

BUT the truth about most of the witch hunts, at least in this region, is that they were blatantly politically-motivated. Something along the lines of, you allow my son to marry your daughter (because I want a piece of your land) or I have connections that can get her accused of witchcraft. Oh, and your mother, too. There was NOT a rampant, psychotic raging bloodlust among the normal people to kill kill kill the spooky occultists.They went along because they didn't want to be next.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

BUT the truth about most of the witch hunts, at least in this region, is that they were blatantly politically-motivated. Something along the lines of, you allow my son to marry your daughter (because I want a piece of your land) or I have connections that can get her accused of witchcraft. Oh, and your mother, too. There was NOT a rampant, psychotic raging bloodlust among the normal people to kill kill kill the spooky occultists.They went along because they didn't want to be next.

There still are witch hunts around the world , I spoke about it in a thread last year ..it is so sad :( .

The way people have daily life can differ so much depending which country they live in .

Than when I hear people really putting down political correctness these days and revival of the Bad Boi and Girl in a distasteful and spoilt manner without any awarness -- I ask well have you ever lived under repressed regime for a prolonged periods of time ?

International fury over Saudi Arabia's plans to behead woman accused of being a witch

{1}Saudi Arabia's religious police plan to behead a woman accused of being a witch, a human rights group said yesterday.

Human Rights Watch has asked the country's king to intervene over "absurd charges that have no basis in law".

Fawza Falih was arrested and interrogated in the northern town of Quraiyat two years ago and was sentenced to death.

The judges who convicted her relied on her forced confession and the statements of witnesses who said she had "bewitched" them.

One man claimed that he became impotent after Falih cast a spell on him.

Witchcraft is considered an offence against Islam in the conservative kingdom.

Falih retracted her confession in court, saying it was extracted under duress and that she could not understand the document because she is illiterate.

The death sentence was lifted on appeal, but reimposed in the name of "public interest" shortly afterwards.

Joe Stork, the Middle East director at Human Rights Watch, said: "The fact that Saudi judges still conduct trials for unprovable crimes like 'witchcraft' underscores their inability to carry out objective criminal investigations.

"Fawza Falih's case is an example of how the authorities failed to comply even with existing safeguards in the Saudi justice system."

Saudi Arabia does not have a written penal code, although a law imposed in 2002 supposedly grants defendants the right to be tried in person and to have a lawyer present during interrogation and trial.

But this is often ignored and sentences can depend on the whim of judges.

The most frequent victims of whimsical rulings are women, who already suffer severe restrictions in their daily life.

Last year, a woman was sentenced to a public lashing after being gang-raped by five men who found her in a car with a man who was not related to her - a crime in itself.

The sentence was lifted after an international outcry.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-514433/International-fury-Saudi-Arabias-plans-behead-woman-accused-witch.html#ixzz2rj1qCrmW

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

There's a joke among Folk Orthodox people (Russian, Greek, Romanians) involving a man who tried to ask a priest a question, but the priest was busy, so he went to the village witch instead. That should give some indication of the cross-play between those two belief systems in eastern Christian countries. The people are much more religious than in western Christendom (Greece's constitution even mentions Jesus) and the witches obviously aren't recognized as recommended spiritual guides, but they still apparently exist somewhere in social strata...

Edited by Dolokhov
  • Like 1

The people are much more religious than in western Christendom (Greece's constitution even mentions Jesus)

There's a crucifix above the door of classroom in Bavaria where I live. I'm talking public schools. We pay a church tax, too. Hell, the strongest political party in the country is the Christian Democrats.

• Like 2

There's a crucifix above the door of classroom in Bavaria where I live. I'm talking public schools. We pay a church tax, too. Hell, the strongest political party in the country is the Christian Democrats.

I'm glad I'm an Atheist and don't believe in god and therefore don't have to pay her any tax money.

It's easy to opt out of the tax. But the church does a lot of work for the community here and the tax is very minimal. I'm happy to support them because they are a clear benefit for us in the whole.

I think if you had been born and raised here your perspective would be different, too. Your worldview is formed by your experiences.

• Like 2

It's easy to opt out of the tax. But the church does a lot of work for the community here and the tax is very minimal. I'm happy to support them because they are a clear benefit for us in the whole.

I think if you had been born and raised here your perspective would be different, too. Your worldview is formed by your experiences.

Okay. I can accept that. The three humanitarian organizations I help support are Christian based organizations and one is directly managed and supported by the Catholic Church.

I know that I oftentimes speak badly of "The Church" but I do realize that there are many of them that do put a lot of time and money into helping those in need.

(But I will still talk badly about "The Church" whenever I get the opportunity.)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this