BaguaKicksAss

Anyone here from Norway, or traveled to Norway?

I might be heading over there, to do some teaching. Generally with this type of thing it is more up to my host where I will be staying, going, doing and etc. due to my complete lack of knowledge of the country, as well as being very dependent on their location. This time, ahead of time, I'm hoping to get a bit of know-how about the country, so I can do a few side things while I'm there.

Fortunately when I was flown over to Albania it went better than I could have expected due to my host wanting to show off his....... entire...... country (and all the castles) to me! Also I asked for a different return date so I could vacation on my own while there. I was loaned an apartment on the beach! I also hit Greece since the last area we hit was so close anyways :D. However I don't know my host as well this time, so who knows how it will go.

I know even less about the area of Norway than I did Albania though.

Also anything to be cautious of while traveling to Norway?

Thanks in advance for any Norway recon ;).

Edited by BaguaKicksAss

Not much help here but a friend (in to astronomy and Kalacahkra) is heading that way for a Karmic Astrology conference ... I guess he stays at the conference ???

Whats your time frame ? I think he has contacts there and may be doing some travelling with them? .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Norway rocks! Most of them speak English better than native speakers and they are friendly, polite nation. I had a great three weeks back packing and youth hosteling around Norway, Sweden & Finland many years ago.

Norway is spectacular. Being a Canadian, you'll appreciate the raw beauty of nature and Norway has it in bucket loads. We flew into Bergen, travelled across to Oslo and then onto Trondheim before crossing into Sweden.

The only thing to look out for are the prices (ouch). The only person I met who thought it was reasonable was a Swiss guy!

• Like 2

I looked up the average temperatures there by month. I will be going in July or August :). Too cold the rest of the year!

The person hosting me lives about an hour outside of Oslo. I did notice a LOT of nice trees around on google earth :).

Is it possible to get around norway by transit? How is the train system if I want to head over to sweden to check it out?

The most expensive places I have been have been in a switzerland and the amsterdam airports! Thank you for the warning, I wouldn't have thought of that, and it will definitely be important when I quote a price.

So what do people do in Norway? I don't like touristy things generally... more natural wonders.

Is there enough private space out in nature where one wouldn't be disturbed?

How are the beaches?

How jam packed is the area? I live in an area which I thought had a lot of people and was very busy... until I traveled the rest of the world!

There is one member I know of who lives in Finland but he is on break from posting right now. If he happens to see your thread I am sure he will make comment.

• Like 1

Been to Sweden and Denmark only , but no Norway . A good Dansih friend of mine went camping in Norway for a week in protected area , she loved it so much . You have to tell guards where you going and when you come back in case you get lost , swimming is meant to be amazing in the lakes .

I looked up the average temperatures there by month. I will be going in July or August :). Too cold the rest of the year!

The person hosting me lives about an hour outside of Oslo. I did notice a LOT of nice trees around on google earth :).

Is it possible to get around norway by transit? How is the train system if I want to head over to sweden to check it out?

The most expensive places I have been have been in a switzerland and the amsterdam airports! Thank you for the warning, I wouldn't have thought of that, and it will definitely be important when I quote a price.

So what do people do in Norway? I don't like touristy things generally... more natural wonders.

Is there enough private space out in nature where one wouldn't be disturbed?

How are the beaches?

How jam packed is the area? I live in an area which I thought had a lot of people and was very busy... until I traveled the rest of the world!

Summer is a great time to be there, mid-summer especially - they dance around maypoles and take the day off. You can hardly blame them, the winter must suck! The weather was warm when we were there - I even got a tan!!! The days are very long and if you head north above the arctic circle, the sun doesn't set at all.

The train system is pretty good but it's worth planning an itinerary in advance. Most European countries have cheap(er) fares if it's booked online in advance. You can see a lot of nature from the train window, as they cut past mountains, glaciers and crystal clear lakes.

The people are quiet and unassuming (northern temperament) but they like the great outdoors and with a population of only about 3 million, you won't see many of them once you get away from the urban centers. It's easy enough to get into Sweden, which is flatter and more forested. The wooden stave churches are beautiful. If you're in Oslo, you should visit the Viking Museum.

Beaches? No idea, as I didn't really visit the coast but I've heard that the fjords are breathtaking, albeit better to see from a boat.

Just be careful of the milk in Sweden. They drink a kind of sour milk which tastes like it's gone off. I poured a load over my muesli for breakfast one morning!!!

• Like 1

The norwegian coastline with its fjords is breathtakingly beutiful. It really can bring tears to your eyes. You don´t need to go by boat to experience it. Car or bus is great to.

The only negative about the country are the high prices.

You will have a great time! :)

• Like 1