adept

Expanding and Contracting In Meditation.

Greetings folks.

Just something I thought I'd share and get some feedback.

I've had many different meditation experiences over the years. Voidness, peace and tranquility, heat, cold, intuition, being-ness etc etc. Lately, a new feeling/experience has entered my meditation sessions. A feeling that my whole body is expanding on the in-breath, and contracting on the out-breath.

I can also sense individual parts of the body as they expand and contract. Hands, feet, arms, legs, shoulders, back, hips, head. Not only that, but I can feel the insides such as muscle, bone, tendon, blood, veins expanding and contracting.

This has come upon me without any conscious control. I've just been sitting as normal in full lotus, focussing on the mechanism of breathing. Not placing my awareness in any particular place such as the belly, nose or third eye. Just the breathing in, and then out.

Sitting without a goal in mind.

This is all very interesting to me and also very pleasant.

Over and out.

• Like 7

Greetings folks.

I've had many different meditation experiences over the years. Voidness, peace and tranquility, heat, cold, intuition, being-ness etc etc. Lately, a new feeling/experience has entered my meditation sessions. A feeling that my whole body is expanding on the in-breath, and contracting on the out-breath.

I can also sense individual parts of the body as they expand and contract. Hands, feet, arms, legs, shoulders, back, hips, head. Not only that, but I can feel the insides such as muscle, bone, tendon, blood, veins expanding and contracting.

This has come upon me without any conscious control. I've just been sitting as normal in full lotus, focussing on the mechanism of breathing. Not placing my awareness in any particular place such as the belly, nose or third eye. Just the breathing in, and then out.

Over and out.

Brilliant. Keep at it.

• Like 1

Greetings folks.

Over and out.

eyes open or closed?

Closed.

Why do you ask ?

next time you experience this sensation, you should open your eyes, and keep them open

focus on the air or the space in front of you - instead of a definite object in the environment

otherwise continue as usual

Greetings folks.

Over and out.

Congratulations! Adept.

I think your nick is telling you something. You have accomplished the Dual Cultivation of Xing and Ming(DCXM). Another words, you have cultivated your mind mentally and your body physically. Thus your mind and body are working spontaneously and holistically which give you faster reflexes and body coordination. You should be able to react or respond to any action against you a lot quicker than before.

Congratulation again for accomplishing to have the present efficacy on your body from all the efforts that you had putted in your practice.

This is a good indication that you have increased the sensitivity in your nerves as I had mentioned above about your reflexes and body coordination.

• Like 1

next time you experience this sensation, you should open your eyes, and keep them open

focus on the air or the space in front of you - instead of a definite object in the environment

otherwise continue as usual

I've tried eyes-open meditation many times before and I just can't get comfortable with it.

I can't relax and I find my eyes twitch.

I find it far better with my eyes closed. I can get into a meditative state of mind quickly and can keep my concentration.

Mind you, a lot of people prefer eyes open, it's just I'm not one of them.

We're all different, with varying personalities and traits, and find our own ways to do things that suit us individually.

Thanks for your comments 9th.

Edited by adept

Congratulations! Adept.

I think your nick is telling you something. You have accomplished the Dual Cultivation of Xing and Ming(DCXM). Another words, you have cultivated your mind mentally and your body physically. Thus your mind and body are working spontaneously and holistically which give you faster reflexes and body coordination. You should be able to react or respond to any action against you a lot quicker than before.

Congratulation again for accomplishing to have the present efficacy on your body from all the efforts that you had putted in your practice.

This is a good indication that you have increased the sensitivity in your nerves as I had mentioned above about your reflexes and body coordination.

Well, I'm not sure if I've accomplished anything.

My experiences are what I term as a 'work in progress', or 'self-refinement', never finished, there's always another level to reach as it were.

Is that what dual cultivation (xing and ming) amounts to according to the ancient Daoist texts ? I was under the impression it meant something completely different but I may be wrong. I don't know enough about it to comment. I'll leave that to others.

Thanks for your input ChiDragon.

Well, I'm not sure if I've accomplished anything.

My experiences are what I term as a 'work in progress', or 'self-refinement', never finished, there's always another level to reach as it were.

Is that what dual cultivation (xing and ming) amounts to according to the ancient Daoist texts ? I was under the impression it meant something completely different but I may be wrong. I don't know enough about it to comment. I'll leave that to others.

Thanks for your input ChiDragon.

You welcome!

Well, you have reached a certain level of accomplishment alright. At least, that was in a process of "work in progress" or "self-refinement" if that is what you want to call it.

Yes, that is what dual cultivation amounts to the xing(mind) and ming(body). The Quan Zhen Pai(全真派) had considered that the DCXM as Neidan(內丹) is because it was cultivated internally.

Edited by ChiDragon

I've tried eyes-open meditation many times before and I just can't get comfortable with it.

I can't relax and I find my eyes twitch.

I find it far better with my eyes closed. I can get into a meditative state of mind quickly and can keep my concentration.

Mind you, a lot of people prefer eyes open, it's just I'm not one of them.

We're all different, with varying personalities and traits, and find our own ways to do things that suit us individually.

Thanks for your comments 9th.

The expansion/contraction phenomena you mention in particular leads to certain possibilities if you can keep your eyes open. Its just a suggestion.

The expansion/contraction phenomena you mention in particular leads to certain possibilities if you can keep your eyes open. Its just a suggestion.

No problem. What would be those certain possibilities ?

I cant seem to meditate with my eyes open either. I mean I *can* however it doesnt have the same quality to it. Id like to be able to though I think itd carry over nicely into everyday situations.

my natural desire to increase everything lead me to try to increase that expanding and contracting until it felt like my organs were going to pop. I did it with the animals as taught by mantak chia but all it really was was imagining, although really feeling it, large containers of energy all around you different types of energy for the different organs and bringing that in and out. If u go on an airplane and see the area u travel over go 10 mins it can open ur mind to making larger sized containers, yet the size is limitless. Also you can search the universe for that 'special' energy that is tiny but like an atomic bomb, u know where it is just go towards it and bring it back inside. U can multiply that energy however many times u want your mind is the only limit for the energy. Then the energy becomes the limiting factor so u go to just getting what u want straight away there is no need for energy any more

and i think its easier to meditate with eyes open, it lets energy leak out through my eyes and keep my head cool. Eyes open or closed i dont think it matters, whatever works for u, the whole meditation experience is 'for you' anyhow, nobody else so dont try to do it the RIGHT WAY just do it how u want to do it, that will be the BEST way