Ya Mu

Qigong Teacher Training

Just received a postcard announcing Qigong Teacher Training.

Two (I assume) long, hard, difficult, sweat-inducing, instant illuminating, Qi inducing, decades - years - months - weeks - no, it is 2 DAYS and you, too can be a Qigong Teacher! Probably with a certificate.

I don't guess I need to state my opinion of this. What is yours?

• Like 10

Two (I assume) long, hard, difficult, sweat-inducing, instant illuminating, Qi inducing, decades - years - months - weeks - no, it is 2 DAYS and you, too can be a Qigong Teacher! Probably with a certificate.

Do I receive free hot Nachos with melted Cheese and hot green sour Jalapenos?

:D

I rethink it.... If he was 30 years long student and then have the chance to go to a 2 Days

QTT that is awesome for this person, I think its the order of what was before and who is teachers is.

Edited by Friend

*This* is what pisses me off so much about Reiki. I'm pretty sure there are several awesome masters at this, however... all the ones I was unfortunate enough to run into over the years... yeah they all did weekend workshops, and made things better than worse.

Great, so now the weekend workshop crap has trickled over to qigong :P.

Well come on YaMu, what did you go spending 40 years (just guessing) doing qigong for when you could have taken a weekend workshop? :D

• Like 2

ouch...

at least it's painfully apparent when you stand in the same room with one of these 'certificate' holders, that they are worth every minute of study...

• Like 1

Not that I agree with giving out teaching certificates to just anyone, but it does raise the question of who can, could, or should, teach chi gung? It's not that hard to benefit from certain styles. If someone has a simple practice that they benefit from, and is able to communicate what they do - should they not teach people who are looking for the benefits of that practice?

I've taught a group of people chi gung (after having been asked to do so) and it was really great. I'm not a certified teacher, but the practice is simple enough to show and do properly the first time with demonstration/guidance. I can tell you that every person in that group was almost astonished at how they felt by the end of the session.

I do have more than 2 days of experience, and it helps that the set flows well from warm up to cool down, but the set sort of spoke for itself I would say (and it was a nice day, etc., etc.).

The focused movement, breathing, and relaxation are very beneficial in the right circumstances (a good group, a nice setting). I don't know how much is necessary to share chi gung effectively, but I do think it's possible for someone who "gets it/feels it" to help someone else "get it/feel it" if the cirumstances are right (the persons looking to experience it and that's why it's being taught), even if their "credentials" are bogus.

• Like 3

First person I ever taught qigong to ended up getting so dizzy they would nearly fall over, from what were physical movements without even adding visualizations or qi on. Glad I had more than 2 days experience.

Also some folks have such messed up energy I think a teacher would have to know enough to say "I don't think this would be good for you at this time".

I also see it sort of like if a personal trainer is teaching a person or class using bad alignments, and they all go home and practice and get some pretty serious knee problems long-term. Qigong just has energetic equivalents to things which can go wrong.

Well then there is also the not very affective aspect, but I guess if people don't care about that part...

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

A woman once phoned me up and asked if she could attend one of my classes a couple times because she wanted to add Qigong to her list of offers. She had already got the 'Wellness Trainer' certificate (it's kind of a thing over here) and wanted to include more forms of exercise, because, hey, the more the bullet points on your flyers, the wider the audience you can attract to your courses. A big net catches more fish. She already had the Pilates, the Autogenous training, and a couple other things. I basically told her to get lost. Even her voice was nerve-grating, brrrrrr...

• Like 4

A respected someone I know took a reiki course years back, and when he completed it and understood what it was all about, he ripped the pieces of paper up. "I knew I was connecting with a lineage holder when I did this stuff because of prior cultivation, but how many other would be able to tell the difference between one of them and some random spirit posing to be one of the lineage holders? And then they do favors for you and you wind up owing them? Nooo thanks. Cultivate and use your own potential, dont rely on gifts from other entities in order for your work to be effective."

• Like 1

Definately more than a one weekend thing, perhaps 5 years of very advanced practices for hours a day, plus cultivation mental attitude, life, soul etc etc

Ok after a couple of years one realises that every activity is qigong, and affects the energy and everything has to be in harmony.

is a bare minimum imo.

Edited by skydog
  • Like 1

Rip off!

You can attend one that takes just one lunch break! :D

• Like 1

It would be a slap in the face to get something like that in the mail ... but there are worse. I was a victim of a really nasty energy vampire who had a Reiki meetup group (efficient way to hit a lot of people) I went twice and discovered what was going on, what she did to me was obscene. Anyway, after learning about the power of chi kung, and knowing nothing about it, she opened a chi kung training center as a way to feed her energy vampirism. She and her minion didn't even know how to pronounce chi kung, instead pronouncing it phonetically like "kigong". Seattle Meetup community beware. No doubt she's giving a good name to our trade.

• Like 1

A kung fu brother of mine, who is also the inheritor of our system/lineage wanted to teach some chi kung at the local VA hospital and they wouldn't let him because he doesn't have a certificate. I don't have no friggin certificate either.

Don't get me started on Reiki ... oh wait.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 4

Well come on YaMu, what did you go spending 40 years (just guessing) doing qigong for when you could have taken a weekend workshop? :D

I know, what was I thinking?

Seems like we met the exact same reiki people - what are the odds.

OK, so I had this lady come to one of my workshops a long time ago and she introduced herself as a qigong master. I told her I was honored that she came - and I was, but not for the reason of her being a qigong master, but for the opportunity to help her.

When I projected energy to her she looked at me and asked what the heck was this she was feeling. Turns out she took a week long (better than 2 days, I guess) course that made her a "master" but had never felt qi before.

A kung fu brother of mine, who is also the inheritor of our system/lineage, has a great deal of chi power and jedi like abilities due to decades of intense cultivation. He wanted to teach some chi kung at the local VA hospital and they wouldn't let him because he doesn't have a certificate. I don't have no friggin certificate either.

Don't get me started on Reiki ... oh wait.

Well, hell, I do have several certificates and they (VA) won't even talk to me about qigong. But I agree that it is the personal training and not the certificate that is important.

It would be a slap in the face to get something like that in the mail ... but there are worse. I was a victim of a really nasty energy vampire who had a Reiki meetup group (efficient way to hit a lot of people) I went twice and discovered what was going on, what she did to me was obscene. Anyway, after learning about the power of chi kung, and knowing nothing about it, she opened a chi kung training center as a way to feed her energy vampirism. She and her minion didn't even know how to pronounce chi kung, instead pronouncing it phonetically like "kigong". Seattle Meetup community beware. No doubt she's giving a good name to our trade.

I have noticed this type of behavior as well. Sad. Do they think we won't notice?

• Like 2

Hurray 2 days to a Teacher certification.

It'll go well with my 6 minute buns of steel :).

A kung fu brother of mine, who is also the inheritor of our system/lineage, has a great deal of chi power and jedi like abilities due to decades of intense cultivation. He wanted to teach some chi kung at the local VA hospital and they wouldn't let him because he doesn't have a certificate. I don't have no friggin certificate either.

Look'em in the eye and shout "Certificates? We ain't got no Certificates. We don't need no Certificates! I don't have to show you any stinkin' Certificates!"

• Like 1

Is this Supreme Science Qigong with Primack? that's a joke...

but then you can study 4 years under a national program and be accepted as a daoist master...

• Like 2

the VA is starting to allow Tai Chi into their health care system. and also Yoga.

this is a move in the right direction and maybe it will help pave the way for Qigong to be included.

http://www.reno.va.gov/features/VASNHCS_Vets_are_introduced_to_Tai_Chi.asp

nice!

That reminds me of the health insurance system over here. They generally subsidize a couple yoga or taiji classes or similar a classes a year for their customers. Some of the companies give yo a kind of 'wellness allowance' of a few hundred Euro that you can apply to classes. Others pay 70 or 80% of up to two or three courses a year. That kind of thing.

But what I'm writing about is actually the qualification process of the teachers. They have to have either a medical or pedagogic (education) background. That means, a physical therapist can indeed attend a weekend course and then offer Taiji in his practice, and his patients/customers can get the lessons covered. And so can, for example, a f***ing English teacher.

But a Chinese doctor with decades of experience? Nope. Or someone like me with a four-year teacher-trainer qualification through the German Qigong Society (the largest qigong organization in the country) and 15 years personal experience, plus going on ten years successfully teaching? Nope. But my classes are full, anyway, so pfft :D

• Like 2

soaring crane, thanks for mentioning that. the thought had occurred to me, how does the VA qualify who may or may not teach the Tai Chi or Yoga. i still feel, it is a move in the right direction, in that there is an acknowledgement by the VA that Tai Chi is beneficial to one's health.

maybe if more veterens were to request that Tai Chi and Qigong be made available?

• Like 1

Hurray 2 days to a Teacher certification.

It'll go well with my 6 minute buns of steel :).

Look'em in the eye and shout "Certificates? We ain't got no Certificates. We don't need no Certificates! I don't have to show you any stinkin' Certificates!"

Ya, and since I'm not certifiable I'm not allowed into the NQA. That's probably best for all concerned anyway. :glare:

Edited by Starjumper

I know, what was I thinking?

Seems like we met the exact same reiki people - what are the odds.

OK, so I had this lady come to one of my workshops a long time ago and she introduced herself as a qigong master. I told her I was honored that she came - and I was, but not for the reason of her being a qigong master, but for the opportunity to help her.

When I projected energy to her she looked at me and asked what the heck was this she was feeling. Turns out she took a week long (better than 2 days, I guess) course that made her a "master" but had never felt qi before.

Yeah, you could have learned from a book you know. :D

Oh I think the odds are very good!

I find that sort of ripping people off, then calling them a master, disgustingly irresponsible. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens far too often. Then said "master" teaches others and makes them "masters".

PS there are people who have been at it 10 years and never felt qi before... just sayin'.

• Like 1

soaring crane, thanks for mentioning that. the thought had occurred to me, how does the VA qualify who may or may not teach the Tai Chi or Yoga.

It's a good question and I'd be very interested in the answer.

I should mention that I have had participants report back a couple times that they got their fees covered by insurance, but it's very potluck, apparently depends a lot on who answers the phone when you call. And I'm actually listed as an authorized instructor at one company, specifically because the person who answered the phone when I called was not aware of the stipulations. She told me to fax in a copy of my certificate, which promptly did, and that was that.

Yeah, you could have learned from a book you know. :D

Oh I think the odds are very good!

I find that sort of ripping people off, then calling them a master, disgustingly irresponsible. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens far too often. Then said "master" teaches others and makes them "masters".

PS there are people who have been at it 10 years and never felt qi before... just sayin'.

Bold mine. But this bears repeating.

It is not just in the field of "reiki", although I have certainly met my share of these folk, but in this IMO stupidly coined term of "energy work". Energetics require a depth that is sorely lacking in far too many of these so called "energy work" studies. And now this has fallen over into the qigong field. Sad.

------------------------

Other: No, this was not Jeff's stuff but someone else. After laughing at it I immediately chunked it where it belongs - in the waste can.

------------------------

VA - requirements are that you meet an administrator that is willing to investigate. Just as in other hospital or western medicine settings if you meet a physician high up on the administrative ladder, things can happen. This is how I came about to teach a qigong survey course for several years at a Western Medical School both to graduating nurse practitioners and to 4th year medical students - knowing someone. Of course once this person died they ceased the program.

In my local VA system, the head administrator teaches some type of (where they worship the guru) meditation and would not talk with anyone who wasn't in his religion. I would advise anyone wishing to get into the VA to try meeting with the program directors, may not get anywhere but just may reach the right person. Unfortunately the VA is just like many other government programs - full of bureaucratic red tape that hinders instead of helping.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 3

At first, when I found out that I couldn't join the NQA because I didn't have a certificate I was upset. Here I had spent eight years taking classes from a most advanced chi kung master, and people who instead took little teacher training seminars could join no problem, it seemed so unfair. But then the only thing that made me want to join them was greed, the greed of a half baked swami trying to get rich quick, same as most all the others who join it.

Later though, I became happy about that situation. It makes me different from the raving crowd, which I always liked, and I'm sure I wouldn't like whatever territorial political games they play in the NQA. I'm in a completely different, partly hidden, territory, and I'm proud of it. I realized that if a system like mine were to start using something as cheap as paper it would enter an entirely different, lower, and cheapened world. Without certifications it retains a certain purity which is actually very important to some people.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2