A Republican lawmaker in Oklahoma has proposed a controversial way to stopping same-sex marriages in the state. According to News9.com, state Rep. Mike Turner ® has proposed scrapping marriage in the state altogether.

The lawmaker contends that it is the only way to keep same-sex marriage illegal in the state while still defending the U.S. Constitution.

“[My constituents are] willing to have that discussion about whether marriage needs to be regulated by the state at all,” Turner told Channel 9.

Other lawmakers feel the same way, he said. They envision a state that doesn’t recognize any marriages at all.

“That would definitely be a realistic opportunity, and it’s something that would be part of the discussion,” Turner said.

The Republicans currently have what is called a shell bill in the roster of bills on the state house floor. They can call the bill to the floor for debate or rewrite it at a moment’s notice in order to respond to any rulings regarding the state’s ban on same-sex marriage.

Oklahoma ACLU executive director Ryan Kiesel said the draconian measures don’t square with the attitudes of their constituents.

“I think that, especially with issues like this, [these lawmakers are] out of touch with most Oklahomans,” he said.

The fuss in the state house, he said, is just political posturing. Never before, he said, has any state threatened to make all marriage illegal just to stop same-sex couples from marrying.

However, Kiesel told Channel 9 that the effort has the feel of a Hail Mary pass on the part of anti-LGBT Republicans that is likely to fail.

“Moving forward I think we’ll see less efforts like this,” he said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/25/oklahoma-republicans-bill-would-block-same-sex-marriage-by-stopping-all-marriages/

Actually it looks like a very libertarian style idea. (A quick read seems to say:) Not banning any weddings, just getting the State out of sanctioning them. Works for me, less paper work and bureaucracy.

• Like 5

Just what I was going to say, why do marriages need to be sanctioned by the state in the first place? That doesnt say anything about enforcing people to be responsible for the young they bring into the world. Its intellectually dishonest to say that this would "make all marriages illegal."

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1

The problem with this proposal is that the issue isn't really equality under the law. If that were the case, the push would be to eliminate from laws and regulations any trace of disparity between people without regard for gender preference or marital status, rather than to call for greater governmental involvement.

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out...

• Like 1

I also agree that true marriage of two souls supercedes government confirmation. But these guys are dangerous screwballs. They actually remind me of the European missionaries who went to Africa to prepare the natives for the coming industrial invasion. Keep them ignorant and faithful and they won't resist the oligarchy when it comes to steal the village.

• Like 2

But these guys are dangerous screwballs.

There's not many federal government entities/people that are exempt from that statement.

• Like 1

There's not many federal government entities/people that are exempt from that statement.

If we're limiting the list to the American government, then I agree with you, and add about 95 of American industry. Which one is worse? I have experience with both and really can't tell.

• Like 1

From one point of view, of course what matters most is the relationship, not a piece of paper from the government sanctioning it. Being legally married obviously doesn't gaurantee the kind of emotional intimacy and commitment (sometimes) associated with legal matrimony any more than not being married demonstrates the lack of those things.

That said, it is important that same-sex couples have the same rights to marriage as heterosexual couples. Being married instantly changes things for couples--in the legal sense anyway--in literally hundreds of ways. It's possible to sit down with a lawyer and draw up a bunch of contracts so that two people end up in a relationship that resembles, but isn't really the same as, marriage. It's a lot of trouble though to do something that legally being wed achomplishes in one clean sweep.

My partner is a Mexican citizen. Recent changes in federal law have opened up the possibility that we could marry and he could legally reside in the states. A few months ago this wouldn't of been a possibility. This matters a great deal.

It's sad to me that some legislators are willing to go to such extreme measures to exclude people like me and my partner. It would be one thing, I suppose, if they just truly wanted to get out of the business of having the state sanctioning marriage. That clearly isn't the case. These aren't philosophical libertarians trying to disentange goverernment influence from the lives of the beaurocratically burdened citizenry; these are bigots.

I'm sure that pockets of hatred against gays and lesbians are here for the long haul. Just as civil rights laws haven't obliterated racism. Over time though I'm confident that we'll stop enshrining discrimination in law and public policy. The desire for true equality is a great groundswell, especially among young people, and it will prevail.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Look who's a conspiracy theorist now.

If the person writing/introducing this bill is a hard core bible thumping Christian Right, then there may indeed be a hidden trip up in the small print.

You crazy man. On the third hand, bills are introduced all the time, most die silent deaths.

Morality cannot be legislated, nor tolerance enforced, charity dictated or kindness demanded.

Ny mother told me of a lesson she learned as a young mother with my oldest brother. She thought cubes of Jell-O might make good finger-food...

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3