SonOfTheGods

Tarot Set for Advanced

Oooo I made a big blunder, I realised after I saw this post. That my recommendation for 'tarot set for beginners' there - should have gone here. I got confused by people reccommending the RW deck, which is very advanced and technical and obscure and full of mistakes (or cover ups ?) yet .... stangley, very pop . :huh:

But in this case ... I agree with you ... make your own or the G.D. system ... line copy the GD one and appropriately colour it yourself.

In the other post (beginners) I should have recommended;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hello+kitty+tarot+cards&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tlfgUuHrD6SUiAeIsYGoCg&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=910&bih=439

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Osho Zen every time for me.

I still have my old Gran's Marseilles deck but it frightens some sitters so I never use them these days.

Osho Zen every time for me. I still have my old Gran's Marseilles deck but it frightens some sitters so I never use them these days.

If folks get frightened that easily, they likely need to do some more inner work :D.

If folks get frightened that easily, they likely need to do some more inner work :D.

I dunno.

Times change.

The Grande Ettelia imagery is a bit 'of its time' I reckon.

Osho Zen's more in keeping with today.

Also it's not traditional Tarot as such.

There's more 'Zen' about it.

That said whichever deck we choose to use it is the sitter who brings the reading to the table with them.

How and why is it easily interpreted? Do you mean because it has scenic pictures on the minors that depict the meanings ?

When I started studying the Tarot, RW was recommended to me, too. However, I preferred the Thoth deck, and studied other decks later. I think it's important to go with what you resonate with most.

In what regard does RW contain errors in your opinion, Nungali? Waite considered his deck to be the "rectified" Tarot; Crowley thought of his version as the only valid one in the New Age, too.

The way I see it, the Tarot is an archetypal system, and archetypes as such, as Jung said, have no particular form, albeit they can take on many forms. So all the different Tarot decks are so many possible manifestations - each valid in their own right, despite differences in the way Hebrew letters or star signs are ascribed to the Major Arcana etc. There are always various ways to look at such matters.

When I started studying the Tarot, RW was recommended to me, too. However, I preferred the Thoth deck, and studied other decks later. I think it's important to go with what you resonate with most.

In what regard does RW contain errors in your opinion, Nungali?

Thats a complex rave ... I sent you a long PM about it .... too long for here ... it references Waites Books , Book T , etc .

Waite considered his deck to be the "rectified" Tarot; Crowley thought of his version as the only valid one in the New Age, too.

Rectified from what ? A 'corrected' Book T ? ... Crowley knew about the 'New Age' ? :huh: ..... I would have thought he would be spinning in his grave as the 'new Age' unfurls ... especially new age tarot. *

The way I see it, the Tarot is an archetypal system, and archetypes as such, as Jung said, have no particular form, albeit they can take on many forms. So all the different Tarot decks are so many possible manifestations - each valid in their own right, despite differences in the way Hebrew letters or star signs are ascribed to the Major Arcana etc. There are always various ways to look at such matters.

So some say ;) However I only apply that thinking to decks that I think have a reasonable association. I do not consider pretty pony tarot or hello kitty tarot (who, apparently is NOT a cat, according to her creator :) ).

Some just seem a fashion statement with no comprehension of the depth involved.

besides .... Waite just ... 'urks me' :D

here is an interesting view on him and the probable sources of his tarot ideas outside of GD (from a Masonic perspective)

http://www.mastermason.com/luxocculta/waite.htm

AQC Vol. 99. 1986 - [ ex Ars Quatuor Coronatorum ]
Edited by Nungali

Well if you hang out in tarot forums and do a little research, you will notice that it's really a mixture of literal and symbolic interpretations. Like the death card, it can mean actual death or the end of a certain cycle or situation in your life. The tower card, it looks like people are falling off from it. It actually means a disruptive and negative change. Trust me,it's the easiest deck to interpret.

yes I have hung out in tarot forums and I have done a lot of tarot research ... so I am not really just going to go on trusting you - nothing personal.

Most Death cards have similar imagery, 'your' ; "it can mean actual death or the end of a certain cycle or situation in your life" is probably quoted by nearly every tarot non-novice user of a wide range of decks. The exact same goes for the Tower card nearly all the worthwhile decks preserve the old image of " it looks like people are falling off from it" ... and the same goes for the interpretation (I am leaving out the wacky 'anything goes apparently' decks. I mean , even Hello Kitty tarot has the images you cite).

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Death+tarot+cards&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=577&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=R4sWVJC4MI2LuAT414KYDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Death+tarot+cards&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=577&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=R4sWVJC4MI2LuAT414KYDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=The+Tower+tarot+cards

What I meant was , what I actually wrote in post #13 .... I was referring to the minor cards. Many people seem to prefer the RW deck because the image on the minor cards is a descriptive scenic image of an event and they find that easier to interpret than the interior meaning of the card as it is displayed in other decks in a symbolic image eg :

cups06.jpg

rw06cups.jpg

Edited by Nungali

Thats a complex rave ... I sent you a long PM about it .... too long for here ... it references Waites Books , Book T , etc .

Thanks. Expect my reply by PM.

Rectified from what ? A 'corrected' Book T ?

"Rectified" from the older versions (Marseille etc.). For example, by switching Trumps VIII and XI.

... Crowley knew about the 'New Age' ? :huh: *

Yes, except that he called it the 'New Aeon.' This concept probably helped inspire the New Age movement and is actually pretty whacky in its own right. "Love is the law..." :wub: - I actually quite like this one!

I would have thought he would be spinning in his grave as the 'new Age' unfurls ...

If he had one! But despite all the "space cadets" out there, the New Age movement had, and continues to have, its positive effects. There was a thread started somewhere on these forums not long ago...

So some say ;) However I only apply that thinking to decks that I think have a reasonable association. I do not consider pretty pony tarot or hello kitty tarot (who, apparently is NOT a cat, according to her creator :) ).

Cats in tarot?! Who has ever heard of something like this before...

25grlfm.jpg

eukc2r.jpg

Some just seem a fashion statement with no comprehension of the depth involved.

Agreed.

besides .... Waite just ... 'urks me' :D

here is an interesting view on him and the probable sources of his tarot ideas outside of GD (from a Masonic perspective)

http://www.mastermason.com/luxocculta/waite.htm

AQC Vol. 99. 1986 - [ ex Ars Quatuor Coronatorum ]
Interesting... Looks like Waite was a more colorful personality than I would have given him credit for. Talking about Masonic influences on tarot, the Oswald Wirth deck is another noteworthy example.
The way I see it, Crowley, Waite, Wirth, Case, Papus... They all knew what they were talking about (even though they don't always completely agree with each other).

6 of cups is related to nostalgia and the past, so I think the symbols are quite fitting. The 7 of pentacles means reflecting or thinking about something. The part that I have a hard time figuring out are the court cards when I'm asking a yes/no question to the tarot.

I'm not surprised ... for a yes or no question, one really doesnt need 78 cards with complex inter-related imagery. Just toss a coin .

Do you want just a yes or no answer or do you want 'advice' to help you to come to your own decisions?

A lot of people have trouble with court cards (as I see on tarot forums, sites and personally - in tarot classes ) . This relates to the title and imagery on the cards - and immediate and natural associations ; which I was trying to get at with my continued quirie about the pictorial scenic minors (but it looks like that isnt going to be answered).

"Rectified" from the older versions (Marseille etc.). For example, by switching Trumps VIII and XI.

Oh, that .... okay.

Yes, except that he called it the 'New Aeon.'

And except that it is a totally different concept ,

And except that it is a totally different concept ,

Not necessarily; for one thing, it's also an epoch lasting 2000 years like an astrological age. It started in 1904, according to A.C. For the Aquarius age, starting dates vary widely from one author to another, so no real contradiction here either. That's what I mean by 'New Age', primarily. (Even though there are actually a number of things converging in or near our time, astrologically.)

I'm not talking about the commercial hype version (but yes - IT'S HAPPENING!!! :D )

Edited by Michael Sternbach

The 'New Age' in hippy culture started within the time of the Hippy movement, it was a new age to come, soon became a 'dawning' and then somehow here and now. Dates may vary (as astrology has no real way of defining the position of the E.P. ) but are they so varied as to coincide with 1904 ???

If new age / Aquarius didnt start here, then this must have been the encapsulated epitome of it ;

If we are 'in' the new age and that is the age of Aquarius then, as an astrologer, can you tell me when the equinoctial point will be 'in ' Aquarius ?

[ Unless its that the last 9 degrees of the previous sign overlap into .... :D ]

Unless you can show some link between Crowley's own idea about the 3 'aeons' and the GD ceremony of rotating officers at the equinox, and the Theosophically Vedic idea about the cycles of time and how that passed into new age culture. Different traditions have all had 'cycles of times' theories but I doubt Crowley's ideas developed into the new Age ones about Age of Aquarius.

Well, okay ..... a bagel is a bit like a donut - they are both ideas about new 'ages'... depends how particular or specific one wants to get.

The 'New Age' in hippy culture started within the time of the Hippy movement, it was a new age to come, soon became a 'dawning' and then somehow here and now. Dates may vary (as astrology has no real way of defining the position of the E.P. ) but are they so varied as to coincide with 1904 ???

Easily. See my next paragraph. :)

If we are 'in' the new age and that is the age of Aquarius then, as an astrologer, can you tell me when the equinoctial point will be 'in ' Aquarius ?

Nope. Quoting from Wikipedia's article "Age of Aquarius":

According to different astrologers' calculations, approximated dates for entering the Age of Aquarius range from 1447 AD (Terry MacKinnell) to 3597 (John Addey). Astrologers do not agree on when the Aquarian age will start or even if it has already started. Nicholas Campion in The Book of World Horoscopes lists various references from mainly astrological sources for the start of the Age of Aquarius. Based on the research by Nicholas Campion, most published material on the subject state that the Age of Aquarius arrived in the 20th century (29 claims), with the 24th century in second place with twelve claimants.

So Crowley's dating for the beginning of the new Age fits in well with a number of others.

Unless you can show some link between Crowley's own idea about the 3 'aeons' and the GD ceremony of rotating officers at the equinox, and the Theosophically Vedic idea about the cycles of time and how that passed into new age culture. Different traditions have all had 'cycles of times' theories but I doubt Crowley's ideas developed into the new Age ones about Age of Aquarius.

Surely theosophic authors like Alice A. Bailey and Dane Rudhyar played an important role for the 60s New Age concept in its more sophisticated version. But probably, Crowley did have a significant influence, too. His thelemic philosophy seems quite in accordance with many of the tenets belonging that cultural movement.

Talking about why the RWS tarot deck is often said to be comparatively easier to read, yes, you have answered that question yourself. The cartoon-like imagery serves as a reminder/inspiration of the meaning, especially for the beginner. In another way, the Thoth suit cards are quite suggestive, too. Whereas older decks like Marseille or Wirth provide mere "patterns" whose meaning must mostly be simply memorized, at least in the initial stages.

Edited by Michael Sternbach