dee

What is desire?

All desires are driven by the one truest desire, satisfy that truest desire and the rest fall into dharmic place.

• Like 1

"Desire" is another one of those tricky concepts. In Taoism we are told that we should "lessen" our desires, not eliminate them.

Yes, to desire something we are longing to have something that does not yet exist.

I would separate desires into two categories, our needs and our wants.

I see no problem with desiring to have our basic needs; food, shelter, clothing, and security. (Some like to add love or acceptance in with this group.)

Wants, however, are just things we wish we had even though we already have what we need. These are what might lead us astray and cause us to be dissatisfied with life and even ourself. We need to eliminate these as much as possible.

• Like 4

"Now this, monks, is the noble truth of stress: Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; association with the unbeloved is stressful, separation from the loved is stressful, not getting what is wanted is stressful. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful.

"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the origination of stress: the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming.

"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of stress: the remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving.

- Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

• Like 2

Impulse from Venus / Mars Id line, brining Moon (sub-concious) to base, often without regulating Mercurious aspect of the Ego triangle where it links to Sun-Moon conjoined.

Here is another Point of View on Desire-thoughts and Thought-desires

That is what I would call moving our "want-desires" into our "need-desires" basket.

• Like 1

I want to know if desires are real; and not actually a need of control or fear of uncertainty.

Wow! You sure want a lot. Hehehe.

Desires are psychological. But yes, they are real in our mind. And yes, fear and uncertainty play a large role in this concept.

No, 'anything isnt real depending only on if you believe it' , because, If reality smacks you in the head,

you will feel it whether or not you intended to believe it. Your belief followed the event.

Surprise alone is sufficient to demonstrate your beliefs dont create the context of reality,

your beliefs only delineate your subjective view of reality,, which is quite a different thing.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Lol, I'm simply wanting to get to the bottom of desires and understand them for what they are so we are not illusioned by what they are not (if that makes sense). I'm proposing the theory that desires are not really desires (since we desire what is not there and has no existence) but are labeled desires and under that label is our need to control certain outcomes which stem from fear.

Does that make more sense?

If there is noone who has desire -- there is no people . It is like a game of life .

Desire is bottomless , it exists as possibility , but what doesnt need to be done is swayed by every desire discovered . No need to respond to everything and posses .

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

Desires exist in myriad forms, relative to individual karmic patterning. It exists, even if one does not possess any knowledge of karma. It is the oldest invisible trip-wire in the history of mankind.

Based on your argument, the need to control the future is a form of desire, so your statement above is kinda skewed.

• Like 1

You cant control the future, you can only act in the present to bring about what you expect would be a good future. The motivation exists in the present , or you wouldnt be able to do anything intensional. Which I am sure you do ..so the thing that doesnt exist would be the future that one did not eventually exist in.

• Like 2

It seems no one is understanding my question here. I'll try to re-word it as best as I can.

My statement is that: Desire does not exist; and actually is our need to control the future.

Can someone please refute this.

If I were to say "you dont exist, you are actually just a collection of elemental processes interacting with the environment", can you refute that?

If I were to say "you dont exist, you are actually just a collection of elemental processes interacting with the environment", can you refute that?

:) The division between you and your environment is an illusion . You eat and breathe drop hairs exert gravity etc. Though your internal pressures are in balance with air pressue youd come apart without it . You are but an imagined subdivision of a whole. Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

What you see me as is relative to your understanding; therefore as much as I try I cannot refute such a statement.

The same can be applied to your statement about desire.

It seems no one is understanding my question here. I'll try to re-word it as best as I can.

My statement is that: Desire does not exist; and actually is our need to control the future.

Can someone please refute this.

Of course I can. Desires exist in our mind. They are real to us individually. Different people will have different desires but they are desires none-the-less.

I do agree with you regarding our desire to control our future. But not all people have this desire, I think. Some people just accept what is or what others have laid out for them.