Sign in to follow this  
nine tailed fox

how to stop fighting your subconscious ?

around a year or so, ago

i read about something called law of attraction

it says your thoughts create your reality

now its fine, there is no problem with this

but it somehow backfired on me

you guys have probably heard about the pink elephant theory ?

your mind thinks what you dont wanna think

so these days my mind is on a ramage of negative thoughts

i am fighting with my subconscious mind , i am trying to stop negative thoughts

wheneve rthere is a negative thought , i try to stop it and replace it with a positive thought

but it just doesnt work, it feels stressful and negative thoughts never stops

even replacing positive thought is stressful

i dont wanna do this, but i am worried about what if this thought will manifest

so i try to suppress it with positive thought

which, believe me doesnt feel healthy in any way

but its of no use

its very stressful

it goes all day along

i am worried that its very harmful for my spiritual and mental health

i am literally fighting with my mind

i am feeling that i am loosing control over my mental thoughts, habits and mental chatter

this also makes meditation also hard

because whenever a negaive thought pops up, i cant let it go, i have to do sometthing about it, what if it manifests ?

what should i do ?

Meditation really helps with this.

Also the fact you actually notice them is good, many people do not.

Instead of forcing them away, perhaps try allowing them to gently flow away.

Also don't worry too much, if all negative thoughts manifested, we'd all have died ages back ;).

• Like 1

You can try to focus more on the positive aspects of life rather than the negative.

Gradually clean your life and habits up. This means !everything!.

Focus your energy into activities that make you feel happier/ more fulfilled.

Be more forgiving of yourself, everyone starts where they are and works with what they have.

• Like 1

I think you are learning a lot of very valuable lessons, basically most of that positive psychology stuff is a load of BS because to exclude negative thoughts just feeds them energy, I know that sort of psychology is popular but most of the world is delluded and in an egoic state where they think they are already in control of their minds, so that sort of thinking just feeds the delusion which is why it is popular.

What can you do? Investigate into the nature of your thoughts, a thought only has any power over you if you believe it to be true, to unbelieve generally isn't as easy as just chosing to, rather what is required is an investigation into the truth of its nature, which can be done through some meditation practices or the method of Byron Katie is good.

• Like 3

Find as many arguments as you can for the LOA being wrong as you can, and remind yourself of them regularly.

Also, try to allow negative thoughts. Perhaps write stories of awful scenarios, elaborate situations of family illness, natural disaster, etc.

Watch the film 'The Number 23' too. ;)

around a year or so, ago

now its fine, there is no problem with this

but it somehow backfired on me

you guys have probably heard about the pink elephant theory ?

your mind thinks what you dont wanna think

so these days my mind is on a ramage of negative thoughts

i am fighting with my subconscious mind , i am trying to stop negative thoughts

wheneve rthere is a negative thought , i try to stop it and replace it with a positive thought

but it just doesnt work, it feels stressful and negative thoughts never stops

even replacing positive thought is stressful

i dont wanna do this, but i am worried about what if this thought will manifest

so i try to suppress it with positive thought

which, believe me doesnt feel healthy in any way

but its of no use

its very stressful

it goes all day along

i am worried that its very harmful for my spiritual and mental health

i am literally fighting with my mind

i am feeling that i am loosing control over my mental thoughts, habits and mental chatter

this also makes meditation also hard

because whenever a negaive thought pops up, i cant let it go, i have to do sometthing about it, what if it manifests ?

what should i do ?

Im just thinking that trying to replace a neg thought with a pro thought WOULD be quite as difficult as you say it is , for one thing ,it doesn't negate the paradigm that youre operating on, and so- Facts being what they are , the conclusions you reach are still the ones you started with. Either that , or you would be changing the subject while you were still in the situation demanding your original attitude.

The powers you do have are to

minimize your reactions to the sentiment which go beyond background noise levels.

Change the situation you are in.

Get and seriously consider more accurate facts.

The easiest thing I can think of as advice for this puzzle is to examine your situation from a perspective you might have a year later,, or from someone elses view entirely . Much of the BS we deal with just isnt as important as it seems at a given moment , so with the distance of a broader perspective there is an awful lot you can shrug off.

But no it isnt always easy at all, and I was wondering myself this morning on my drive to work if it is even possible to make a thorough long term change in oneself intentionally. Oh I know there are folks who would stand up and say that they have just changed SO MUCH ! Just following some simple recipe, I dont see it really , and it seems to me that people pretty much are the same at 60 as they were at ten. ( While its just true that they may pick up some tricks along the way- I dont see all these wise peaceful old folks gliding around careless and carefree. ) Sorry , I know its not an upbeat message ,

but at least you aint the only one with a 'monkey mind'.

Being aware of detrimental thoughts is strong awareness.

But the resulting self judgement (here we go again, I've failed again, etc.) can be worse than the original thought pattern.

Rather than fighting against anything, which only increases resistance and stress, I change my focus to be entirely on my breath. Single pointed focus on the leading edge of my breath and how it feels in every fiber of my body, until the cloud of emotion/judgement, etc. dissipates.

I think a quiet mind is the target to shoot for. With some positivity mixed in because I think that just to stay even in this world.

I think a 'Let the universe decide' attitude helps. Also the Trust in Allah, but tie up the camels, viewpoint.

around a year or so, ago

No, thoughts can create your reactions to reality. For instance, you cannot think about growing wings and then turn that into reality. You cannot think about walking on water and then accomplish it through your thoughts.

Such ideas about creating reality with thoughts will serve no truthful purpose. This is commonly called "magical thinking" in psychological circles. It is a common outlook for small children, but has nothing to do with "magic" as a practical tradition.

Subjectivity does not create objectivity. Subjectivity creates its own relative perception - by being in relation to objectivity.

"Whatever a monk keeps pursuing with his thinking & pondering, that becomes the inclination of his awareness. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with renunciation, abandoning thinking imbued with sensuality, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with renunciation. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with non-ill will, abandoning thinking imbued with ill will, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with non-ill will. If a monk keeps pursuing thinking imbued with harmlessness, abandoning thinking imbued with harmfulness, his mind is bent by that thinking imbued with harmlessness.

- Dvedhavitakka Sutta

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this