Nathan

List of Taoist Sects in the U.S

Dear Fellow Bums,

Greetings,

This is my first thread on TTB's. I've taken a great interest in all things Taoist. For the last 10 plus years I've been involved in a variety of Western Initiatic Systems and societies. In the pinnacle of most of these are theurgy and inner alchemy. While investigating these aspects, I talked with a friend in Europe, whom told me that the Eastern (more especially Taoist) inner alchemical methods were more direct and effective. I can't comment on this claim, however it spurred me to further investigation. In one system for instance, (Martinism) inner alchemy is heavily taught and practiced. Being an initiate of this system I find it to be very good. Another Martinist acquaintance of mine several years ago, recommended the book "The Secret of the Golden Flower" in a conversation we had in regards to the Arcana Arcanorum, and the body of light. So two friends recommending Taoist alchemy was enough for me to be convinced that it was a worthy path.

I've noticed that they're many different schools, sects, pathes etc. and I've always been of the opinion that one should follow one system, as following to many leaves one spread too thin. I personally found this to be true after belonging to multiple Western systems, all of which had very similar doctrine and goals at the core. The same friend above whom recommended the Golden Flower, gave me a very good analogy that: "Initiatic schools are like a wheel. A wheel is round and a wheel has spokes. You can go from one spoke of the wheel to the center of the wheel, but you can also just go around and around the wheel by jumping to different spokes."

That being my philosophy as well, I want to make sure before I embark with a Taoist sect (if they'll have me) that they are 1. Accessible, 2. Not Dogmatic, and 3. Have a valid lineage. Now, I don't wish to incite lineage wars here. I've seen plenty of such in Western systems and they bore me. But I would like to spurn a sane, positive, and informative thread on which schools are out there, and available to Jews whom live in Kentucky. (Insert Smiley) Attached is a PDF I found online, which describes several of these schools, but none of which are available in my area. I noticed several schools are missing.

Thanks.

teachers.pdf

"Have a valid lineage" - you are smart here, most people don't look for such things, it is the most important thing.

You could start with this tread to find out a little bit about Neidan.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32430-neidan-vs-qigong/?hl=opendao#entry492987

But you will not find much on this site.

A headsup, 99.99999999999% of schools and teachers are either teaching New Age meditation (Mantak Chia, Eva Wong, Zhen Dao Pai etc) rubbish, or Qigong.. which is nothing to do with Alchemy and achieveing Immortality.. but most state it is.

• Like 1

Nathan,

drop a line to the member of this forum Zerostao, he is in Kentucky and has been initiated into a taoist sect he might be able to tell you more about.

• Like 2

A note on that neidan thread...the supposed authentic schools being discussed such as Wu Liu Pai or Yu Xian Pai, are unfortunately not available for learning in the US at this time. I haven't had luck in contacting them and trying to get them to come over here. I did speak to one member who is now living in Vancouver, B.C. who said he could teach the Yu Xian Pai stuff after teaching some preliminary practices for at least 6 months, but then later said that he couldn't personally initiate anyone into Yu Xian Pai.

So it's very unfortunate that we have people saying there's an authentic way...but we don't have access to it. :mellow:

Nathan,

drop a line to the member of this forum Zerostao, he is in Kentucky and has been initiated into a taoist sect he might be able to tell you more about.

:)

A note on that neidan thread...the supposed authentic schools being discussed such as Wu Liu Pai or Yu Xian Pai, are unfortunately not available for learning in the US at this time. I haven't had luck in contacting them and trying to get them to come over here. I did speak to one member who is now living in Vancouver, B.C. who said he could teach the Yu Xian Pai stuff after teaching some preliminary practices for at least 6 months, but then later said that he couldn't personally initiate anyone into Yu Xian Pai.

So it's very unfortunate that we have people saying there's an authentic way...but we don't have access to it. :mellow:

This is a problem with the Western Systems as well. There are many magickal / alchemical orders which make many great claims of antiquity and validity, but in reality they were formed in the late 1800's and much of their teachings were plagiarized from other sources. There are very few authentic schools, which carry on a valid chain of initiation. This doesn't mean the other "neo" orders are wrong, or bad, but their "occult history" is rather misleading. Many of the true schools do not have an internet presence and exist purely in the invisible (for good reasons).

Eva Wong is a lineage taoist and pretty solid at that, but she does not teach in the US (though her books are a good beginner's intro IMO). Mantak Chia's methods may have been questioned (personally I'm no fan), but he's about as new age as the pyramid of Giza. Zhen Dao Pai is a school not known or represented in the US, aside from it having been introduced by Vitallii, our esteemed member. The only reason it could have been singled out by you is --

...???...

All systems have merit, whether they have a valid lineage or not. We can learn from "bad", just as we can from the "good." But for myself, I'd like to belong to a solid group, which tranfers authentic teachings and lineage. Or at the least, does not claim to have such an illustrious background, but none-the-less, have an effective method.