Sign in to follow this  
Yascra

Hi guys

Hi there,

I'm 29 years old, transgender, have had not so great experiences with Tibetan buddhism, have had negative experiences in the trial to find some kind of a teacher (which means I met cheaters whom I allowed to influence me in a bad way and am still not done with some of it), and concerning spiritual practice I'm going on, but tend to be very lonely with my "superstition" in a largely scientific world in which there's no place for things like siddhis, though I'm aware of the fact that such things do exist.

I'd hope for some exchange here on basis of the knowledge about some things a natural-scientific worldview would regard as "should not exist, so if you believe in it, you're insane and should be treated like that".

So, hope for some clear views and for some discussions concerning things that are not meant to exist inside the "matrix" ;-)

See you,

Ith

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum. You will find no shortage of views or discussions here.

Before getting started with posting please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and also take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ Things are pretty easy going here and this covers all you need be aware of to make a start with posting.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chang.

Personally I've always been a bit paranoid of teachers and the tendency of people getting sucked into the "Group-Think".

As a result I decided to practice Chi-Kung off a DVD for a year before I actually went to a seminar. I felt the results and benefits of the practice without any external input and grew a lot on my own. Perhaps a similar independent approach might be of value to you in getting started on your own 2 feet.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

Hi again :)

I thought a little about that @OldChi.

The point is that I never really was in the situation to have the "choice" to start practicing, or beginning slowly. I just bumped into some key experiences and afterwards couldn't go way back, but on the other hand felt overburdened with going on on my own. And I had to recognize that there was a LOT I'd still have to learn (which is still the case, lol).

Finally I found at least some information to make some steps to get my unexperienced mind and thoughtstream in accordance with these experiences.. but it really took time and efforts.

So, I'm on my way to harmonize these things with the "rest of me", but it really wasn't easy.

An experienced teacher could have made it more easy, and that I found this way towards some kind of the right direction actually IS just due to some good books and some teachings about sutras, which make these "old" and sometimes really profound teachings accessible to me.

Actually I still don't know what would be the best things to do for me, and still have to try everything myself, using the bit of information that's already somewhat structured and available to me. I have no time to waste, you know, and though I'm aware of the fact that I HAVE to make some of these experiences on my own to later be prepared, and to be really sure that in the end I'll be doing things right.. clear and complete advice and instructions are really the greatest gift your universe can give to you.

Unfortunately on the one hand there actually ARE not that much teachers who can give these clear and COMPLETE instructions, and on the other hand you really need a VERY special karma to be privileged enough to receive those.

I'm quite happy with what I finally found, also because it brought me to really studying some (mahayana) sutras, so don't get this part wrong. Anyway I'm just doing regular practice for about 1 1/2 years now, several ups and downs and trials of different "ways to do it" included (about 5 years of struggling without an idea what practice meant before this time), and though improving my emotions still tend to be quite unstable. So, when it's fine, I don't care so much.. but woe when there's another "cleansing" phase.

.. ehm, do you get anything of what I'm talking about?

Well, maybe I'll ask for a practice journal :)

Peace!

Edited by Yascra

Yeah - I have learned to be very skeptical of teachers and supposed enlightened individuals, new or old, including Buddha, Dalai Lama, Swami Muktananda, Jesus, Mohammed, Deci Belle ;), Kundalini, God, and etc. etc themselves. I examine people from all angles, all the time, and will not stop for as long as I know them. Teachings speak for themselves. They are not necessarily reflective of the teacher, as ideas are like constantly evolving viruses - no one can be said to have started the chains of their passing. Also, people have a natural tendency to present the best of themselves. When someone openly presents the worst of themselves is when I trust them more. Fortunately, no matter how enlightened an individual says they are, arrogance, pride, elitism, one-sidedness, lack of compassion, etc. will sink through their words and keep things in check. I have not met or heard of anyone who doesn't have some type of agenda behind their actions, if nothing else than stating their own beliefs as absolute or best, as if they have personally seen all lives and all possibilities. Thus I kill all Buddhas. I still love them all though.

I have not met or heard of anyone who doesn't have some type of agenda behind their actions, if nothing else than stating their own beliefs as absolute or best, as if they have personally seen all lives and all possibilities. Thus I kill all Buddhas. I still love them all though.

Hmmhmm, obviously that one took me a while.

Having an agenda is not necessarily bad, for helping s.one to reach enlightenment can be regarded as having an agenda as well. Concerning the "kill all buddhas" thing, that is just helpful in ONE particular sense. It definitely does not mean aggressive skepticism in any way, for actually to reach some kind of first awakening skepticism can turn out to be a big problem.

The point is that enlightenment can be realized to a more or less degree.. And as long as you cannot correctly and fully comment on and explain what's meant by, for example, a teaching of Jesus Christ, then it might well be his realization is higher than yours - and in this case it would be a great impediment to your further progress to not acknowledge that.

So, of course, kill the buddha - but do such things correctly. Otherwise it might just be stupid arrogance.

All the best!

Hmmhmm, obviously that one took me a while.

Having an agenda is not necessarily bad, for helping s.one to reach enlightenment can be regarded as having an agenda as well. Concerning the "kill all buddhas" thing, that is just helpful in ONE particular sense. It definitely does not mean aggressive skepticism in any way, for actually to reach some kind of first awakening skepticism can turn out to be a big problem.

The point is that enlightenment can be realized to a more or less degree.. And as long as you cannot correctly and fully comment on and explain what's meant by, for example, a teaching of Jesus Christ, then it might well be his realization is higher than yours - and in this case it would be a great impediment to your further progress to not acknowledge that.

So, of course, kill the buddha - but do such things correctly. Otherwise it might just be stupid arrogance.

All the best!

I know one thing that 'kill the buddha' means - if you have an idea of what the buddha is, and what being a buddha entails - kill that idea. For in the end, 'Buddha' is an idea and an idea only.

• Like 1

I know one thing that 'kill the buddha' means - if you have an idea of what the buddha is, and what being a buddha entails - kill that idea. For in the end, 'Buddha' is an idea and an idea only.

Hm, but sorry, my experience is that high level bodhisattvas as well as buddhas can open up worlds to you.

Insofar it's not only an idea - as label for s.one who has climbed the whole spiritual ladder it of course is still a "label", but a label given to an extremely helpful instance inside the conventional world.

Why kill that if being realistic tells you you're not finished with the whole of it yet?

Hm, but sorry, my experience is that high level bodhisattvas as well as buddhas can open up worlds to you. Insofar it's not only an idea - as label for s.one who has climbed the whole spiritual ladder it of course is still a "label", but a label given to an extremely helpful instance inside the conventional world. Why kill that if being realistic tells you you're not finished with the whole of it yet?

yes they can - and you are fortunate to have met them...but I am talking about conceptual Buddhas vs. real-life Buddhas...when you kill the Buddha, you realize that you are killing that which is completely unkillable in the ultimate sense - you are killing your own illusionary conception of what Buddha is so that another, more perfect one may appear in its place. So keep killing the Buddhas every day, so that tomorrows Buddhas may be forever more enlightened in your view!

:)

oh and do this with your view of self too - so that tomorrows view of self is also better!

kill yourself daily so that you are reborn daily as a new sparkly being!

destroy the self-reifying psychology!

ask Deci Belle to explain it to you....she has taught me this stuff...tell her I sent you ;)

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

destroy the self-reifying psychology!

ask Deci Belle to explain it to you....she has taught me this stuff...tell her I sent you ;)

Dear,

I'm really not practicing any kind of psychology as my main system, lol

Hm, I think I'll have a look at her postings first, but thanks for the recommendation :)

Edited by Yascra

Dear,

I'm really not practicing any kind of psychology as my main system, lol

Hm, I think I'll have a look at her postings first, but thanks for the recommendation :)

doesn't mean that you don't have a psychology though ;)

ask Deci Belle by PM or else look up her definition of what the self-reifying psychology is...it's a neat concept!

Sign in to follow this