Green Tiger

A Zen Koan

A long time ago in China there were two friends, one who played the harp skillfully and one who listened skillfully.

When the one played or sang about a mountain, the other would say: "I can see the mountain before us."

When the other played about water, the listener would exclaim: "Here is the running stream!"

But the listener fell sick and died. The first friend cut the strings of his harp and never played again. Since that time the cutting of harp strings has always been a sign of intimate friendship.

• Like 4

Transmission and reception. Male and female principles. Very nice.

Thank you. :)

It's not enough to just read a book of koans or public cases. Ch'an/Zen/Seon requires a teacher-student relationship. A student is assigned a koan to work with, which they then periodically report to the teacher for clarification/instructions and to test their understanding.

I personally would not rely on this translation because, not only are the interpretations of Buddhist concepts off in the preface, more importantly: there's a better quality and complete translation that also gives a detailed background history on Muju Ichien and the times he lived in [http://books.google.com/books?id=hPA7kRWtMK0C&source=gbs_navlinks_s].

A monk asked Joshu,

"I've heard that you were a student of Nansen. Is it true or not?"

Joshu replied,

"The province of Chin produces giant radishes."

• Like 1

A monk asked Joshu,

"I've heard that you were a student of Nansen. Is it true or not?"

Joshu replied,

"The province of Chin produces giant radishes."

I read this and was instantly enlightened.

:D

like instant noodles i bet. haha!!!

Yes, I like instant noodles.

OK, not so much after eating LOTS of them in college but they're still OK in a pinch -- my son likes them so they're always around.

Am I getting lighter?

• Like 1

Yes, I like instant noodles.

OK, not so much after eating LOTS of them in college but they're still OK in a pinch -- my son likes them so they're always around.

Am I getting lighter?

^_^ me too haha! The odd time, at 2 or 3 in the morning, its such a hassle making anything else. Some people could have cereal and warm milk, i prefer something savoury. Such an instant enlightening moment of satisfaction can be had from a simple packet of maggi or kimchi noodles. At that moment, all koans exist only in the unmovable focus on the slurrrrrpiness of that bowl of steaming hot miso wannabe... :P

• Like 2