Sign in to follow this  
i am

Cellular Hotspot as only Internet source for laptop

Anyone have experience? I want to get Internet for my laptop through a verizon hotspot. It's $50 a month for 5 gigs. Verizon guy says that's plenty unless I'm streaming netflix every day. Other people say a few YouTube videos and I'll be over my limit...

Does anyone here have real experience with this?

It's worth it to me if I can do basic stuff like check email, hang out on forums, search things, and a YouTube video here and there. But if I'm going to be over my limit with just extremely basic Internet use, $50 is not worth it.

Youtube depends on whether you watch 10 instructionals each 10 minute long, or 10 films in HD quality each 1 hour long, unless you watch long HD clips I wouldn't worry about it. My usual Youtube download in medium quality is 10-25MB for a couple of minutes. Just checked one, 45 minute lecture 640x360 was 120MB.

You can measure your current bandwidth consumption for a day or two, at least approximately.

I'm now on Windows 8 which is somewhat different beast, so would have to check for that one, but on the earlier Windows versions you could just click the connection icon in the tray and find both in and out traffic consumed.

Don't know how exact it is, but shall suffice for this purpose.

Or there are programs that will measure it, "freeware connection meter" or similar search phrase should return couple of suitable ones.

The replies have pretty much covered it - but one more thing - if you do get a usage warning - call in and add some more space rather than going over the limit and getting charged an absurd amount for overage.

• Like 1

With mobile, doesn't going over the limit just cut your speed?

Five gb for 50 dollars is expensive, wow. But I guess that's just how it is the US?

Yep, that's how we roll over here...overpriced underperforming internet compared to other developed countries. Go USA! Free market! :)

Anyway...

No, if I go over, it's like going over on my phone bill. I start getting charged something like a dollar a byte every bite I'm over. I saw one guys bill who didn't realize this...it was a $1,600 cell bill!! Luckily he pleaded ignorance and they dropped it.

Regular wifi, if you download something huge, it slows down. But regular wifi has no monthly data limit. If you're getting Internet from a cell signal, you have a certain allowance of data a month, just like phone minutes. You go over, you pay!

I think I'll be fine if I'm careful of my use. 5 gigs a month is plenty for checking email and looking at TTBs.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this