Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

Careda - the oldest martial art in the world ?

" The legendary Dreaming account of how Coreeda first came into being was told in the Ngiyampaa Nation of Western NSW and is about a lizard man named Beereun, who was told by a giant snake to watch the Red Kangaroo bucks so he could learn how to fight without weapons. He then brought these fighting techniques back to his clan and initiated a wrestling tournament as an important peace-keeping ceremony, which instigated an era of great prosperity for the Ngiyampaa people. Based on the dating of rock art at sites like Mt Grenfell near Cobar in Western NSW, it is estimated this first Coreeda tournament began over 10,000 years ago, making Coreeda one of the oldest documented styles of Folk Wrestling in the world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreeda

Lately Cardeda has been bought into the public domain and a program has been set up to teach aboriginal youth. It is an unarmed martial art. I find this very interesting as their traditional weapons forms are still considered private and for initiated males only .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

I think it's a great decision to bring it more into the public domain to teach the youths - They often get such a bad wrap here, so many of these guys and girls retaliate with violence and so on, which doesn't help anyone. There's a Kung Fu school in W.A that takes trips out to country towns to teach the youths their style, and it seems to help them out quite a bit.

Boys especially need to burn off some heat ... they continually get told; don't do this don't do that, dont be too rough ... this is great for them, fairly safe , a chance to match testosterone, and a focus away from some unhealthy practices that have invaded their culture.

• Like 3

In case you haven't witnessed the 'original form' ..... (interesting how it is an 'animal form' like types of kung-fu )

Errrmmmmm .... this probably should not be allowed :D

smother face lock .... he (kangaroo that is) has a great right cross !

Edited by Nungali

I am reminded of this cinematographic masterpiece:

1360679328_kangaroo-jack.jpg

Yeah, I actually did see it -- my son and a friend thought it was gonna be awesome and my wife had taken him to see the last movie...

Edited by Brian

THAT is a sad story (and fortunately I was not involved ... NOT one of the films I worked on here but some mates in the Aussie film industry did).

The film was about the redex car rallies in Australia, an interesting part of Australian motoring history. The film was well made and 'in the can', many people devoted time and energy to it. One part is based on a true story where a dazed kangaroo was photographed in a jacket, he came too and hopped off with the rally check-point registration papers in the coat's pocket.

The film was shown to a test audience in the USA (as it was made with US $ ) people were 'Mmmhuuurrr' ... but we liked the bit with the kangaroo .... so kangaroo jack was born ... and the film everyone worked on ended up in another type of can :angry:

http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/1954-redex-trial/clip2/

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this