4bsolute

[Qigong] Where does the food go? People are scared

First of all I want to point out the tramendous effects Qigong has on the digestion. I had constipation quite regularly before I started practising and it's completely gone and most importantly the strength of assumly my digestive enzymes is huge.

I can eat loads of food and have a rather quick recovery time from digesting. Yes I am aware of the fact that eating less is overall more beneficial for the body. I am mostly vegan with here and there eggs sometimes. The combination of a healthy meal cooked in a Wok daily, fruits, avocado, nuts and seeds added and the practice seem to match perfectly.

People are literally scared when they see what amounts of food I eat. Especially from the Wok, 12inches in diameter, full, one meal. I eat for 4persons and feel well.

I am aware that with a good digestion and no drinking after eating for at least 2,5-3hours the body can absorb everything necessary from the food. When we drink earlier we delute the digestive enzymes. It was not easy at the start, but I managed to re-adjust my drinking habits over the day. It works very good!

But why suddenly the loads of food? 6,1feet tall and I do not put on weight. I am unable to, literally. Any excess fat is melting away thanks to the practice.

Is this some sort of compensation or can it be seen as 'natural' to eat that much with not having problems?

Edited by 4bsolute

-Based on the literature and my own experiences, eating till full is a major obstacle for the circulation of energy, even with a full vegan diet.

It has a "tamasic" effect that last from the meal to the moment you eject it at the toilets (1-2 days).

It has the exact contrary effect of a fast, which is used even in exoteric religions for its spiritual effect.

-Eggs are a problem for spiritual practices, they are tamasic.

-If you choose to be vegan, the major deficiency is Iron which can lead to try to compensate by eating too much: the iron in vegetables is a non heminic iron, which is not entirely processed by the body, you can change this by adding lemon juice or oranges (vit C) to your meal it is a well known trick in the medical field for anemic patients.

Edited by nickyro
  • Like 1

I have noticed I can eat 4x as much when I train.

I figured out why...

Some qigong, and some Bagua, takes as much effort, calories, work, food, nutrients as running.

When I took up marathon running I did a LOT of research into replenishing the body properly, which recovery stuff to take and so forth. I found through trying different things out, that the qigong and Bagua took just as much!

Most people don't exercise much, those that do need more food.

As long as you aren't gaining more weight (in the wrong places) than you desire, all is good in my opinion.

Also, veggies aren't very filling, most people eat bread or pasta which is very filling (but not very healthy), and looks like they are eating less.

I was gonna suggest that some Qigong practices go directly to the endocrine system, and affect the metabolism in a big way. I don't personally buy into the calories in calories out formula anymote, at least not as a universal rule. The are more efficient and less efficient motors.

But the OP seems to be describing a pretty extreme situation here. A huge metabolic shift? That can happen, but in my experience it usually means you can get by with much LESS food....?

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 2

I don't know about other stuff, but with Bagua, we all laugh about the huge food intake... everyone's appetite increases a LOT with practice, it's just odd. We all giggle when newer practitioners talk about how hungry they are all the time ;).

No idea if it's related to the OP or not though..

• Like 1

Is this some sort of compensation or can it be seen as 'natural' to eat that much with not having problems?

The foods you ate has been converted into your body energy.

• Like 1

My feeling is that the way each individual processes different foods is to some degree unique.

It's quite mysterious.

After my event, I suffered terrible stomach pains after eating meat.

After this happened twice, I connected it to the fact that my body was now rejecting meat foodstuffs.

I gave up meat and the problem stopped immediately.

Sometimes I get tempted to have a bacon buttie.

Just as a disinterested scientific experiment, you understand.

I don't typically eat a lot.

I read once that calorie restriction improved longevity in mice.

My diet consists of fruit, nuts, dairy, eggs, pulses, vegetables and cereals, including some bread and pasta.

And I couldn't do without my tea with white sugar, although some might tell me the sugar is bad, bad, bad.

And chocolate.

After my event I realised my body needed strengthening so I undertook a course of physical exercise.

Push ups, sit ups, running up the hill everyday to pick the kids up from school, jogging home from the shops with heavy bags etc.

At this time I was eating much more, mostly gorging on handfuls of nuts and dried fruits.

And of course I take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet once a day.

-Based on the literature and my own experiences, eating till full is a major obstacle for the circulation of energy, even with a full vegan diet.

It has a "tamasic" effect that last from the meal to the moment you eject it at the toilets (1-2 days).

It has the exact contrary effect of a fast, which is used even in exoteric religions for its spiritual effect.

-Eggs are a problem for spiritual practices, they are tamasic.

-If you choose to be vegan, the major deficiency is Iron which can lead to try to compensate by eating too much: the iron in vegetables is a non heminic iron, which is not entirely processed by the body, you can change this by adding lemon juice or oranges (vit C) to your meal it is a well known trick in the medical field for anemic patients.

Yep my friend, but eating fully raw in the winter times is a torture. At least for my current understanding. So lemon juice (a small amount is okay) or any fruits from the south high in water content leaves me being Yin the whole time. I have naturally rather poor blood levels, feeling cold rather quick and the cold sticks to my body easier than warmth. It is not a major problem and I do not feel any negative aspects with it, but it's always more pleasant to feel warm.

I am aware of the Ayurveda concept. Thanks for pointing out.

I like to eat lots of protein and cut back carbs, it feels good to me. I agree on the amount and regardless of the amount, the more we eat - the more energy is used to digest that food - true.

Edited by 4bsolute

What sort of Qigong do you do 4bsolute?

I previously did only the MCO / small circulation, 8 Pieces of Brocade and now I am getting into what Yan Xin has tought in his 9step meditation and most importantly Spring Forest Qigong from Chunyi Lin.. very easy and very powerful

I don't know about other stuff, but with Bagua, we all laugh about the huge food intake... everyone's appetite increases a LOT with practice, it's just odd. We all giggle when newer practitioners talk about how hungry they are all the time ;).

No idea if it's related to the OP or not though..

Thanks to Chunyi Lin and his very brief explanation of the standing posture during Qigong, for example only during periods of Zhan Zhuang when you go lower, you burn fat like crazy :D

The thing is, what happens when all fat is burned up? From my understanding then the metabolism goes towards the proteins..

What exactly do you do then, when you notice that you could eat 4x more than before? Do you actually follow this signal?

I want to point out that I am slowly starting to do Sungazing again and this year combine it with "Sun Qigong", sun meditation.. whatever form to gather and store the energy of the sun. What happens here naturally is that the hunger and the desire to eat diminishes and at a certain point after practising for a few months every day it completely vanishes and has a constant effect. You do need to sleep for only 1-3hours per Week and are always high in energy.

Also there are two major 'metaphysical' types of hunger or thirst: One is love, one is wisdom. Feeding the heart, feeding the brain. Maybe you have also noticed that when you meditate when you start to crave for something sweet, this will automatically vanish during the meditation and leaves you after it with a feeling of "I had everything I needed, I am saturated"

But we all know how tough the topic of eating and not eating is, when we still carrying emotional garbage around with us :)

Edited by 4bsolute