Unseen_Abilities

Kung Fu Stances: The Book.

You will never learn proper stance training from a book, sorry but IHTBF (It Has To Be Felt). If I recall correctly you are in Aikido, does your line focus on kamae at all? If so, ask your instructor about kamae and the mechanics of them. Also, focus on the kihon dosa of your art, that's where all the "secrets" are, you will not learn aiki from letting yourself be thrown.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if any of you have read this book?

http://www.kung-fu-fitness-and-defence.com/stance-martial-arts.html

Looks like this could potentially benefit my training, if it's good...

T.S

I haven't read it but . . . $30 for a spiral-bound workbook that teaches 7 stances? Pay me $30 and I'll teach you 10 stances over skype in 1 hour. ;)

• Like 1

Physical structure for stance training just gets you in the door. When you can point all your joints you can stand however you want. Therefore 1 stance is all you need, which is the stance that best brings out your internal structure. That slightly differs between arts.

• Like 2

Aye, the nearest YCGF location to me is in ABQ, NM. May go out there to learn some xingyi before I go to the Philippines to learn Liuhebafa.

Only if you have some pre-existing injury. If you have knee problems and do not stand correctly you can further injure yourself. You must pay attention to your body whilst practicing. Do not attempt more stressful stances until you are able to hold the easier ones for 15-20 minutes. Do not stand so wide that is painful, uncomfortable can be fine sometimes, do not stand so low that it is stressful. Do not let your knees go over your the front of your toes until you are able to sit into your stance so that the backs of your thighs and the ground are parallel. Do not let your knees go past the front of your toes whilst in an angular stance. If something hurts, stop what you are doing. Above all, pay attention to yourself.

• Like 1