Sebastian

Why Do We Focus On Dan Tian ?

Hey Guys,

First post on this forum, nice to meet you all.

From my understanding, Dan-Tian converts our Jing to Qi and this process happens naturally.

My question is about why we focus on it. What does it add to the picture, since this qi-conversion process already happens naturally?

My Best,

Sebastian

PS: Edited this to read better.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 2

it allows the storage process to happen faster. an example wold be: naturally you may store out of 100 energy points 5 or 10 aday, focusing on the dantien you would draw in 40 points a day. you could wait 8 days to get 40 points or meditate for 8 days and get 320 you decide. also there is no set rate either the ammount of energy you draw in increases with more energy gained. so in essence the more you have the more you can gain. and at the begining you will only get yang and yang jing thats all. nothing magical there. its only by fusion/mixing yin and yang that you create chi, at least on a large scale. yes your body produces chi but on such a small scale that its not worth using save to shorten your lifespan. so the same is done after mixing/fusion you creat chi then store it, the amounts gathered will increase with chi gained/stored.

• Like 1

It can depend on your intention.

The Qi of the LDT is like water. The mind is like fire.

The focus of the mind can evaporate the water to create "steam" - it purifies the yin energy of the LDT.

• Like 4

Hey Guys,

First post on this forum, nice to meet you all.

I know the function of Dan-Tian as many people here do, it converts our Jing to Qi and this process happens naturally.

My question is more about the reason behind focusing on it. What does it add to the picture, since this qi-conversion process already happens naturally?

Does it create more Qi then if we didn't focus on it for example ?

My Best,

Sebastian

The body has programming, and it executes those functions. So long is there is need for resource for certain functions, resources will be diverted to them. Brimming potential produces nonlinear phenomena.

• Like 6

It sells a lot of books, oh, and DVDs. :ph34r:

My question is more about the reason behind focusing on it. What does it add to the pictur?

• Like 1

The body has programming, and it executes those functions. So long is there is need for resource for certain functions, resources will be diverted to them. Brimming potential produces nonlinear phenomena.

nonlinear awesomeness!

• Like 2

English, Doc!

EDIT: For the OP. I hear we place our focus on the dan tien because it's the center of gravity in our body and a natural place for energy to accumulate.

Also, that area of the body is sort of the 'source' of the breathing mechanism.

My advice to you would be to notice that area of your body. Pay attention to it without looking for anything in particular and just see what you notice. What does it feel like? Does the feeling change when you walk, run, climb a tree? Does the feeling change when you sit quietly or lay down?

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 3

English, Doc!

EDIT: For the OP. I hear we place our focus on the dan tien because it's the center of gravity in our body and a natural place for energy to accumulate.

My advice to you would be to notice that area of your body. Pay attention to it without looking for anything in particular and just see what you notice. What does it feel like? Does the feeling change when you walk, run, climb a tree? Does the feeling change when you sit quietly or lay down?

^^^This is a misconception. For some people, in some positions, this is very nearly true, but it depends largely on physiology, musculature and body position. Ask yourself this -- does an amputation cause dan tien to move? Does sitting? How about doing lots of bicycling?

• Like 1

^^^This is a misconception. For some people, in some positions, this is very nearly true, but it depends largely on physiology, musculature and body position. Ask yourself this -- does an amputation cause dan tien to move? Does sitting? How about doing lots of bicycling?

Thing is - if you move the dantien - everything moves, and so a little move in the dantien can give a lot of potential to the rest as it means that the external expression is backed by the entire body and requires less strength from the rest of the body. If you're biking and use the turning of the dantien to move the legs - the little effort to do so saves the muscles in the legs.

Why do we focus on the dantien? Why do we focus on the ocean when we go to the beach to relax?

Who is "we?" :)

just curious

Those who know what Dan Tien is and practice Wu Kung(武功), martial arts. Especially, Chi Kung.

Edited by ChiDragon

No habla ingles.

English, Doc!

www.dictionary.com

sorry fellas, I use my vocabulary - if there's a word that a more "accurate" fit for that which I am trying to describe, I use 'em...there's no excuse in this day and age being able to look just about anything whatsoever up on the internet :)

• Like 1

Any ambiguous definitions are always seem to be doubtful. If they were challenged, then it was not understood by many and become poor definitions.

I focus on the Lower Dan Tien to strengthen the foundation of the energetic body and to increase the potential Qi flow through my entire system. I focus on the LDT for preventative medicine, to remove blockages and to create/sustain a stable/grounding support for increasing the potential in my Middle and Upper Dan Tiens to make work in emotional and spiritual areas easier to sustain.

So far the work is paying dividends.

• Like 1

The OP simply stated dan tian, and I always observe the LDT being the centre of focus--both figuratively and literally (in this case)--but does anyone have a practice of ritually, frequently or consistently fixing one's attention on the UPPER dt?

I personally focus my awareness on my upper dan tian many times throughout each day, whilst keeping my tongue on the soft palate (plugging the heavenly pool). (Not usually am I meditating, but I'm going about my day and having a few minutes of introspection whenever I get a chance.)

Edited by Neophyte
  • Like 2

educated, excelled at English, and it's almost meaningless to me.

part of what the work accomplishes is that it is a streamlining of signal to noise ratios. identify signal, amplify. identify noise, attenuate. what happens to the olfactory neural potential resonating 40 cps when the flow of air is beneath the threshold of sensation...even better, below the threshold of neural potential at all, in a manner of speaking, because they dont fire just one way. all of the little vortices of air that form in your air passageways because of air rushing past - streamlining of that is what prompted me to describe air as a superfluid when breathing in that state. just from breathwork alone there is a ton of freely available potential, if you just quiet down the things that are using it. same goes for the generative force. brimming, as in the physical goal being the streamlining, harmonization, tuning of all the body's systems...now again, another ton of freely available potential once the body no longer has these "signals for those needs," the process transforms.

nonlinear as in phenomena you might not expect - what does a linear analysis say of having streamlined the body's systems to such a degree?

sorry mr cd, if you cant decipher the scribblings, they don't mean quite so much :)

Thanks guys,

So the concencus appears to be that it's strengthening the energy center of the body by speeding up this jing to qi conversion process. Isn't this at the expense of our Jing capital, doesn't it deplete more rapidly as a result ? like we're revving the engine harder and eating up more fuel as a result?

Edited by Sebastian

Thanks guys,

So the concencus appears to be that it's strengthening the energy center of the body by speeding up this jing to qi conversion process. Isn't this at the expense of our Jing capital, doesn't it deplete more rapidly as a result ? like we're revving the engine harder and eating up more fuel as a result?

How about instead of "eating up more fuel" look at it as increasing the efficiency of the engine. It is also feeding the engine external energy for use in that transmutation.

And I don't agree with that "consensus". You are trying to narrow down a complex process into one thing. It is much more. All the words describing this process are wrong in that each person finds out that the words only described an infinitely small aspect of the process. The cultivation itself is bigger than the limited words that attempt to describe it, so if a person gets hung up on the words with an intellectual limited meaning, the process can be inhibited. If the person approaches the process with an open mind there is infinite potential awaiting.

• Like 7

The OP simply stated dan tian, and I always observe the LDT being the centre of focus--both figuratively and literally (in this case)--but does anyone have a practice of ritually, frequently or consistently fixing one's attention on the UPPER dt?

I personally focus my awareness on my upper dan tian many times throughout each day, whilst keeping my tongue on the soft palate (plugging the heavenly pool). (Not usually am I meditating, but I'm going about my day and having a few minutes of introspection whenever I get a chance.)

Yep, a complete LDT focus is not for everyone

Niwan gets fed via Baihui- then you ''feel'' it here - Yintang:

Deadman_Yintang.jpg

Once the lower Tan Tien is "ripe", the above ''Feeling'' all comes together, even though the lower Tan Tien is being "fed" by the above

• Like 2