Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Parents: be wary of Tylenol

Living outside the USA for as long as I have been doing, and raising a kid here in Europe, I'm really shocked at the trust American parents put in the pharmaceutical industry. Not to mention the pediatricians who work strictly along the guidelines of the AMA which isn't much more than a lobbying Institute for the medical industry these days. Everything that's pushed on you, from 'baby' Tylenol to Flintstones vitamins is either completely ineffective or downright poisonous for your child. .

• Like 2

Our doctors all said "no Tylenol" when our son was an infant and that was 20 years ago.

• Like 2

When profit is the bottom line, the end result is rather predictable.

Big Pharma will sit down and look at the data on a new drug; seeing that a certain percentage of users are likely to develop a serious illness, there are projections which predict the smaller percentage of these cases that will make the link between the illness and their product and bring suit which they will eventually lose or settle.

They then run more projections about how much the estimated settlements will be for the law suits against the profit potential and if the numbers are right, they green light yet another drug they know has serious health issues.

The best source of my family's medicine is our food.

Not that I'm bitter or anything .... :lol:

Edited by silent thunder

I had some pretty wild experiences/hallucinations when I was feverish as a kid...

My mom is very open to alternative medicine, but also very trusting of pain killers, fever reducers, de-congestants and all that. She's a nurse practitioner...

But I'm with you. I have ibuprofen in my house, but it's for other people, and to re-stock first aid kits. I have to throw the bottle out every few years and replace it with another.

It's hard for me to talk, since I don't live with much pain. I don't get headaches, and my muscle/joint pain is pretty minor. But I've never been in the habit of taking pain killers for pain, so that's good. My step-dad would pop four or five pills any time after he exercised, in anticipation of sore muscles.

Not my thing...

I use raw ginger for body pain, but that is blessedly rare these days.

I don't get headaches, but my wife uses peppermint oil on the temples and this works for her.

Qi Gong healed my most intense injuries which are fading from memory.

Qi Gong is the preventative pain killer I use most. :)

• Like 1

For infants and small children I'd say, keep the head cool with cool (not cold) wet washcloths...continually monitor temp and if it goes above 100.4 degrees F, then take the kid in. It can be very dangerous for young kids to have fevers.

Edited by Aetherous

Interesting how Tylenol can potentially reduce glutathione levels in kids.

This is also apparently related to the development of autism-spectrum disorders.

Sign in to follow this