Sign in to follow this  
Goldleaf

mental clarity needed

Hi all,

I could really do with some mental clarity for the followinjg problem.

I am currently sleeping poorly in the house I am staying. Whether its due to an paint allergy or some other environmental factor I am not sure. So, until the issue is resolved I am staying outside in a tent.

The problem is, it gets near zero degrees at night. I sleep with a beanie on and a thick down blanket. Somehow, I have still woken up feeling cold. I"m guessing its the cold air I am breathing in? If so, what is tghe best way to deal with this, i'm guessing a ski mask?

Should I eat more food {i'm quite a lean guy} to provide warmth for the cold?

And is there a good reliable method to tgest for allergies?

Should I just shift all the furniture and carpet out of the room to see if t is indeed a paint allergy?

Thanks in advance for your help,.

Gl

Edited by Goldleaf

There is not alot of info to go on...

how long have you been at the house?

have you ever slept ok there?

what is your weight?

when is the last time you slept outdoors at this temperature?

My gut feeling is that allergies would show up in other symptoms then sleeplessness. But it seems in this day and age they can test for any allergy under the sun.... so just go get tested.

Doing a process of elimination method takes a while... a better test would be to simply sleep in a hotel/motel for a few days to elimination the location. Or stay at a friends or anywhere other than outside. Staying outside will likely introduce too many stresses on the body.

I've camped in winter conditions many times and it's all about a barrier between you and the ground, either an insulating pad purchasable at any camping supply store, or a swath of pine branches stacked up to create a couple inches of padding to put under your good mummy bag.

Blankets down near zero don't cut it. Unless you have a stack of em...

Oops, I should have made thqat clear.

I have brought my orthopedic mattress from the house into the sleeping bag, and so the down blanket I was referring to is just a blanket, not sleeping bag. I'm guessing this is enough to create a warmth barrier, buit will try another layer for insulation tonight thanks.

Good to hear some quick and clear replies thanks gentlemen.

how long have you been at the house?

have you ever slept ok there?

what is your weight?

when is the last time you slept outdoors at this temperature?l

Just moved here recently after living here for awhile previously, I don't think I have ever slept well. Used to have frequent wet dreams that will be in someo of my older more desperate {!} threads.

Weight is 65kg {140lbs}. I think its been a while since I last slepyt outdoors at this temp, maybe when I was camping at age 16 {wet dreams occured then but I suspect for anmother reasons}.

Thaniks for your insights Dawei. I have always seemed to sleep well elsewhere.

The thing is: staying at friends/family is asking alot of them at the moment, and when my health needs improvment it would take at least a week staying at a single residence, which is why I have chosen the current course of action.

Interesting that no-one mentioned the ski mask: isn't warm air one of the most important componenets to a good night sleep.

Best wishes.

gl

• Like 1

Also, i've just realised that my thought pattern towards this could do with some work.

So, when I think of using a ski mask and beanie to stay warm at night, I am concerned that I wll become too HOT instead of cold, which also contributes to wet dreams. So then I am thinking of cutting holes in the beanie to createa mixture of areas where heat can escape the head ! {Since head hands and feet are the main gthree main areas the body uses to release excess heat}.

Is this too neurotic or genius lol. When I am low in energy, I doubt myself.

So, I guess its time to find out through trial and error, like the old Taijiquan masters had to hahah

Do you sleep well outside when it's not cold? Some times when I've slept in tent without kids, dogs, bad weather conditions or noisy neighbors it's been really good and restful sleep.

I always sleep well outside when the conditions are good.

Update: slept better last night in the tent with a thermal sheet between my mattress and the ground. It was still too cold this morning, not zero but 10Deg Celsius, wll buy a ski mask to go with beanie.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I would rather sleep outside in a cold tent with fresh couhntry air than inside with mucus-causing environment that is slightly warmer.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this