Sign in to follow this  
Mark Foote

Happy Guys Finish Last

Happy Guys Finish Last:
The Impact of Emotion Expressions on Sexual Attraction

“This research examined the relative sexual attractiveness of individuals showing emotion expressions of happiness, pride, and shame compared with a neutral control. Across two studies using different images and samples ranging broadly in age (total N 1041), a large gender difference emerged in the sexual attractiveness of happy displays: happiness was the most attractive female emotion expression, and one of the least attractive in males. In contrast, pride showed the reverse pattern; it was the most attractive male expression, and one of the least attractive in women. Shame displays were relatively attractive in both genders, and, among younger adult women viewers, male shame was more attractive than male happiness, and not substantially less than male pride. Effects were largely consistent with evolutionary and socio-cultural-norm accounts. Overall, this research provides the first evidence that distinct emotion expressions have divergent effects on sexual attractiveness, which vary by gender but largely hold across age.”

That's from here.

All I can say is: (╯_╰”) (emoticon for "I feel ashamed")

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 1

Hey wait a minute, that is from the local university here!

:D

I guess you have to look ashamed or grumpy, until you see a woman, then smile at her only for a brief moment, then go back into neutral or shame.

You happen to see the thread on how to pick up women?

I think I'm going to move to another planet.... lol

• Like 2

I don't know how they design their studies but I have a bit of an idea as to what they may have been asked to prove by those who pay for them. For one thing, a rift between sexes is not wide enough for the destroyers of families and social harmonies on any and all levels, so whatever can be used to widen it, will be used. Doesn't have to be true, only has to do the job. For another, it's much easier to mind-fuck someone proud or ashamed than someone happy, which is why there's no shortage of studies proving that happiness is an abnormal state.

I've seen a PDR entry that lists "feelings of happiness" as a symptom of a mental disorder.

This is ingrained in the social psyche. When I feel happy, I've learned to keep it to myself. Whenever I told even close friends that I felt happy, they were concerned.

As Paul Simon once sang, "I should be depressed, My life is a mess, But I'm having a good time..." -- not acceptable! Who's gonna take antidepressants if everybody starts having a good time?.. It's trillions in endangered profits we're talking, man, trillions!

• Like 9

In my experience most woman prefer a man that is joking and laughing and happy ... if he is doing that there is LESS chance of him becoming aggressive and violent.

• Like 2

I've seen a PDR entry that lists "feelings of happiness" as a symptom of a mental disorder.

I am happy to have that disorder :)

• Like 6

In my experience most woman prefer a man that is joking and laughing and happy ... if he is doing that there is LESS chance of him becoming aggressive and violent.

Yes. Women tend to avoid morose and depressed guys, for obvious reasons.

Well apparently accept for the students at the local university (where university studies tend to find their random sampling of people).

Ofcourse the 'pride' guys are probably feeling smug and Happy.! Interpretation means a lot. All in all, its nice to be around happy people. You might want to uh, bed, the bad boy/girl, but the person you want as your significant other is the happy one.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Ofcourse the 'pride' guys are probably feeling smug and Happy.!

Was that a shot at me?

If they're feeling happy, they're probably less attractive, according to this study. :P

Edited by Aetherous

Was that a shot at me?

What?? Nope. Just aimed at the OP that had a distinction between the look of happy and prideful. Or happy vs smug, what is the difference? It may be an objective thing that allows for manipulation.

Uh, I dig science, without it couldn't waste so much time on the internet.

• Like 2

Hi my name is Scott and I think that the study is awesome. Science!

It's only science if you know that whoever paid for the study didn't stand to lose or gain profits from its outcome.

Been a while since the last time life sciences were not an oxymoron. Social engineering ain't science. And we've they've been manufacturing social engineering and calling it scientific studies for quite some time now.

I knew a scientist, a world class geneticist and the pioneering researcher and foremost authority on one particular fascinating subject (lectinology). He was asked to study GM potatoes. He did. The outcome was, they are hazardous to health. He presented the outcome of the study as is -- hazardous, mutagenic, carcinogenic, teratogenic. He was immediately fired, dragged through mud, blacklisted, and replaced with another scientist who promptly announced that GM potatoes are perfectly safe.

Just sayin'...

• Like 6

.. my experience is that if the girl likes you, she don't care what you are, she knows she can change it:) ...and guys go wherever there is opening.... girls attract to the unavailable ... sex is submission (tè) alignment ... Nothing is more glorious then love between man and woman... Its the F**' way of life

Why so much fuzzzz???

(The strongest girl have the best smile, best smile gives the most beautiful flowers.)

I'm sure I do more of the whole "making yourself attractive to the opposite sex" thing than I like to admit...

But my response to all this kind of stuff is "so what?"

I'm going to do what makes me happy, not what makes me attractive. I'm working on becoming LESS self conscious, not more. And that's self conscious in the social way, not spiritual :)

It's a bit of a catch 22...but the more you do what you do and don't care what people think, the more attractive you become. But it doesn't work (necessarily) to pretend you don't care so that you attract people. It's when you really stop giving a shit that you become more attractive. Unless not giving a shit to you means stained wife beater and sweat pants and smelling bad and just completely letting yourself go...

Though I'll admit there is a population of females who seem to be into this...

It's only science if you know that whoever paid for the study didn't stand to lose or gain profits from its outcome.

Been a while since the last time life sciences were not an oxymoron. Social engineering ain't science. Andwe've they've been manufacturing social engineering and calling it scientific studies for quite some time now.

In my view, it's only science if they used the scientific method and the results weren't skewed by anything (for instance showing a picture of a really attractive person with a neutral face, and then a hideous person with a happy face). It would seem like a shady thing if someone gained profits from these results (perhaps advertising agencies)...but if the results are genuine, does that matter?

I also go by 'innocent until proven guilty' in regard to published studies. Why? They're peer reviewed for a reason...to try and make sure that only actual scientific results get published. There should be evidence behind any accusations made against a study, for those accusations to be taken seriously.

"Half of all clinical trials

have never been published.

This is a scandal"

www.alltrials.net

In the 90's my statistics lecturer called it the filling cabinet problem.

Actually it can't have been my stats lecturer because I failed that class. Still with the girl I spent my time studying.

I get a lot of complements on being so happy. But it's not actually that IME.

People can tell when your energy is strong. That can come as being happy or powerfull or emotional - they are just the surface.

I found

Happy people and non - conformists

thought provoking

:)

• Like 2

Did occur to me after I posted this that from what I've read, the statistics being used in "scientific studies" these days are such that the conclusions of the majority of the studies are not valid.

I'll go through some links below about this. Suffice it to say, I don't believe woman are only attracted to men who exhibit pride or shame, and are not attracted to men who are happy. But they had me going, when I first read that study, probably because of a recent fracture in my romantic life that I attributed to my happiness in what my significant other considered to be a position unfair to me (no jokes, now...). For a moment I thought my happiness made me unattractive to her. Naw- musta been my imagination!

BKA, I'm holding you personally responsible for the work at your University! Ha ha!

ok, here's the stuff:

Quick look finds an article which pegs the inaccuracy at 25% after noting an epidemic of "nonreproducibility" in social science studies (here). Next, I look and I find:

"In the 1950s, when modern academic research took shape after its successes in the second world war, it was still a rarefied pastime. The entire club of scientists numbered a few hundred thousand. As their ranks have swelled, to 6m-7m active researchers on the latest reckoning, scientists have lost their taste for self-policing and quality control. The obligation to “publish or perish” has come to rule over academic life. Competition for jobs is cut-throat. Full professors in America earned on average $135,000 in 2012—more than judges did. Every year six freshly minted PhDs vie for every academic post. Nowadays verification (the replication of other people’s results) does little to advance a researcher’s career. And without verification, dubious findings live on to mislead."

That's from here.

Then we have this:

In a paper in the July 13, 2005 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, Dr John Ioannidis (University of Ioannina School of Medicine, Greece) concludes that "contradicted and potentially exaggerated findings are not uncommon in the most visible and most influential original clinical research." (from here)

I'm dead, they just forgot to lock the casket!

• Like 2

BKA, I'm holding you personally responsible for the work at your University! Ha ha!

Uhm no, I had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with that clinical study. *My* study most obviously would have been more about which facial attributes, while practicing Baguazhang, make men the most attractive.

My extensive research and findings conclude that it is a low stance, good use of the ldt, good twisting inwards, and the more torquing the better...

Though I do feel that much further study, as well as field research, is needed.

:).

PS, I went to the *other* local university.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this