Harmonious Emptiness

From De came the myriad things

"First there was Oneness, then there was Two-ness [Tao, yin, yang (imo)], then there was Three [De (imo)], and from The Three came the myriad things." [my translation (evidently)]

Dao is "the Way," De is born from Dao, in the way that programs are born of their programming.

So, for mystical monotheists, the Daoist "bridge" would be DE, as it is the virtuous birth origin - or at least it would be an easier way for them to understand that there isn't total denial of this virtuous origin.

(I talked about this more, here, a while back)

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

Not sure whether this would resonate or not. But, in Temple Style Tai Chi (and Dao Gong), the De is considered to be a part of Dao and within each individual. The De needs to be "awakened" using Taiji and Dao Gong, till it can vibrate in resonance with Dao. De is not a abstract theoretical thing (like Virtue) but a very tangibly existent thing.

• Like 4

Hi H. E. and Dwai,

This is interesting as I recently finished read Victor H. Mair's translation of the TTC and he translates De as "Integrity".

However we count the "One, two, three" really doesn't matter all that much. Nothing mattered all that much until the ten thousand things arose.

Synonyms for "integrity" are incorruptibility, soundness and completeness.

So the De (integrity) of Dao is a given. The de of man, as Dwai points out, needs be awakened.

• Like 2

That is an interesting point about the 'awakening' aspect. I have long held the idea that there is not so much a 'reversal' to Dao but really just waking up the dormant aspect which always existed in us... That this aspect is DE is something I did not consider.

• Like 1

Not sure whether this would resonate or not. But, in Temple Style Tai Chi (and Dao Gong), the De is considered to be a part of Dao and within each individual. The De needs to be "awakened" using Taiji and Dao Gong, till it can vibrate in resonance with Dao. De is not a abstract theoretical thing (like Virtue) but a very tangibly existent thing.

That sounds very close to how I've come to understand and connect on a personal-experience level with DE. All things being inter-twined, to me it feels as though DE encompasses Xing, as in Xing and Ming - "Nature and Destiny" - having virtue is part of Xing practice - it is the nature of DE to be virtuous. "Be the mother to the people" says Lao Tzu. In cultivating virtue one cultivates chi, which brings wei chi "encircling chi," which protects and draws Destiny (rather than fate). Destiny, to me, is virtue drawing one towards Dao. Dao is like perfect geometric harmony. De allows one to walk in this harmonic path, like steep mountain trails, and benefit from the perfect paths towards "destiny" that it makes. In arriving at destiny, one learns by following it and the enduring resilience required to do so. Experiencing that destiny, even temporarily, brings one further in understanding and clarity, which furthers their "virtue," further strengthens their wei chi, and connection with De, which allows them to communicate with Dao ("where are you Dao?" "I'm over here!!").

[Thanks for sharing that Dwai!]

• Like 3

altho much of what i thought i knew about Taoist concepts has changed in the past 2-3 years. i think my thoughts about Te are still close to what i posted in 2011.

"it is about staying natural and being as close to ones original nature as one can be.
and possibly attaining a level of enlightenment thru meditation or experience. to see "being-for-itself"

Te is a piece of the Tao that is trapped inside us.
our work is to un-trap it and reconnect back to Tao.(power of the universe) "

i still look at Te as a unique type of virtue/integrity/power and Te is an expression of Tao.

Te is being authentic and sincere.

• Like 3