Sign in to follow this  
roger

experimentation

What about the idea that we don't have to "try", that we can just enjoy our lives and not take life so seriously?

We already have what we seek, right? So can we know that and "just be"?

I know this has been discussed here before, but I just want to see what anyone has to say about it.

I thought of something. Experiment with it. I can experiment with this teaching. Instead of "thinking about it," I would do better to experience it.

• Like 2

What's that saying? "Don't try; do!"

I love making my own mistakes. That is to say, if I have a desire to experience an aspect of life I just jump in the middle of it and do my best. I have always thought that wherever it is I decide to do I should do the best I can at it.

No, to "try" give us an excuse for failure. And while failure often happens, it was because our best was not good enough, not because we didn't try hard enough.

• Like 1

Good stuff! My life is shifting away from seeking, trying and acquiring to being.

Try sticks in my craw... and not just because Yoda nailed it so long ago.

When I set up the intent to try, the mind adds a layer to the process that is more complication than added benefit.

Rather than just being the action, I'm adding this element of 'try' or added effort.

Trying gets in the way of doing and being.

Try = To Resist Yourself

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

Our ignorance prevents us from 'just being', and there's a lot of momentum behind it.

If we try to just be, then we are still caught in a trap of trying to reach some state which is favoured by the dualistic mind. You'll see what I mean if you ask yourself what you want to get out of just being - you will have some reason. Making a decision to just be is at best a facsimile of the real deal, because that decision is itself part of the prison of effort.

So I think we have to try, and use skilful effort, to break that chain. When we can just be, then we will, and no effort or decision will happen as there is nothing to get from it.

Even when we do need to act, the action will be recognised as being in motion. We already just are, trying is itself being, but the fiddly bit is seeing the being that is there whether or not we are trying, rather than just conceptualising it.

It's easy to talk about there being nothing to attain, but that's just talk for most people. Most of us need to provisionally take a path to destroy the path itself.

• Like 2

To try -- gives sense of flexibilty . Failure is when trying is happening at wrong time , that is all .

Trying is also a part of being .

• Like 1

Are you talking about non duality teachings?

I think the principle of that is non attachment to thoughts feelings and so on to break free of the mind.

Might work for some but not all.

Trying is a energetic blockage in some systems, also known as resistance.

We can enjoy life while we do our cultivation techniques. I think sustained effort should be applied to really get somewhere rather than just happy.

Nope, still no try.

Plenty of do and effort and accomplishment and failure, but no try.

Try is a state of mind.

Doing and being are beyond this, foundational in comparison, for me.

A bag of apple seeds is not an orchard. Something that is latent, to be recognised rather than developed, may still need to be made manifest by trying. Bridges aren't made of iron ore, even though it's got iron in it.

• Like 1

What about the idea that we don't have to "try", that we can just enjoy our lives and not take life so seriously?

We already have what we seek, right? So can we know that and "just be"?

I know this has been discussed here before, but I just want to see what anyone has to say about it.

I thought of something. Experiment with it. I can experiment with this teaching. Instead of "thinking about it," I would do better to experience it.

Self-experience is above all else. That means you want to apply a certain teaching to get experience with it, yourself. Tangible experience, not purely conceptual thought-based.

Yes, in greater sight we have everything. In greater terms we are everything already. But can you access it right now? No.

Some say it has to be that way - some say we have been shut down. I am between both of those views on life, I can not decide. I can only say that I had life-changing experiences in meditation and the results brought forth into my waking state are not comparable to anything before this way.

I always had a hard time following strict a certain teaching. To me this is a natural sense of "You are not here to follow anyone, you are here to rediscover Yourself and that is done only With Your Self."

That should sum it up.

Taking things 'serious' is tension. We do not learn in a state of tension.

Edit: Since physical, tangible experience is something wonderful - connecting to our Higher Perspective and bringing it more fully into this world (or whatever world) is and always will be the Non-plus-ultra.

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 3

There are no rules! Do what you like - experience as you will....be free!

Things will just happen as they will, no trying needed - stuff still gets done. Yep

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this