Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

Two questions regarding hand posture + counting

Dear Ones,

question #1: When we lay our hands ontop of each other, what exactly happens? What happens when the left one is on top, what when the right one is on top?

This is important to know the further one wishes to advance. "This teacher says this and this says that, choose whatever you like - all the same" as I have come across a couple of times is not the case. Surely you can behave so if one wants to stay on ground level. By asking this I would like to take the opportunity in creating awareness also and especially for newcomers.

Question #2: Counting numbers. 36 stands for positive male, 24 for negative female. Is it important to really make a physical effort in whatever practice we do in repeating a certain movement a certain strict amount or (quoting Yan Xin) only to remember the exact number and physically it may vary? So if we attempt to go for 36 but we either forgot where we are or do not wish to continue to 36, we simple see ourselves at 36.

How is it correct?

Thank you.

Edited by 4bsolute

1) I don't know anything about any particular chi effects that mudra can have. From my perspective, mudras are more of a psychological thing due to symbolism. If you associate a mudra with something, and always meditate with that mudra, the mudra helps you get into the right mindset.

I always just have my hands on my knees (drona mudra, I think), because it's a stable I'm-meditating-now kind of thing. The mudra you mention (dhyana mudra) is explained here:

This gesture predates Buddhism, having been used for long by Hindu yogis to develop powers of concentration and healing.

In this mudra, the seated Buddha is seen with hands placed on his lap, right hand over left, palms facing upward and fingers stretched in a relaxed pose. The right hand represents enlightenment, while the left is the illusory nature of existence.

Alternatively, this positioning of the hands signifies skilful action (or method) as arising from a state of inner calm. Sometimes, this mudra is displayed with both thumb tips touching each other, forming a triangle. This figure represents the Three Jewels of Buddhism the Buddha, the Sangha and the Good Law (Dharma).

The coming together of the thumb tips also indicates the union of two psychic channels in the body, as represented by the male and female principles that exist in every sentient being... On a more practical note, the Mudra signifies the gesture of absolute balance. The person meditating is completely unmoved by the surroundings, immersed in infinite space.

2) There isn't anything inherently yin or yang about the number of times something is repeated, which is an arbitrary concept. It's all about mindset.

• Like 1

Seeker, please be honest to yourself. Yes you are very honest when you say you do not know anything about chi effects when adjust certain mudras. But why do you post this? What help does this give to us? Yes it is very honest and thank you for it, but the use of it is zero. With all respect.

It should be common sense to reduce the attitude of holding on to opinions to a barely perceivable minimum, when someone is asking about a truth.

Mudras are non-spoken language to direct energy through and with our subconscious.

Yes, 36 is a Yang number and 24 a Yin number. I do not force you to understand this but if you want to understand deeper patterns of cultivation, of a balanced energy flow, then a certain responsibility is required. This includes numerology. Numerology is rythm. Everything has a rythm.

Getting into 'a rythm' means getting into alignment. 'The #1 struggle' for each human individual on this planet.

To say working with numbers is an arbitrary concept is neglecting your own existance. Health is rythm. Health 'are' numbers.

I simply want to understand how important it really is to work with it physically or if it is suitable to remain purely psychically with it. Does this know anyone for sure through out his or her practice?

And the hand position of our mudras - left on top or right on top, the very basis - what does it affect and how so? What does it regulate?

Thank you.

Edited by 4bsolute

Hi 4bsolute,

I thought Seeker's post was very honest. And it was presented with the intent of helping.

I wanted to post earlier but decided to wait to see if anyone else would post.

I do understand what you are asking for. However, I doubt there is an answer that you will be satisfied with.

Which hand is on top would most likely be defined by whether you are right or left handed. I would always want my right hand on top as I am right handed. If you are asking about Chi flow then it would depend on which arm/hand you feel has the best energy flow. That would be the hand to have on top.

I am ignorant of numerology so I cannot speak to that.

Best wishes with your searching.

But why do you post this? What help does this give to us? Yes it is very honest and thank you for it, but the use of it is zero...

It should be common sense to reduce the attitude of holding on to opinions to a barely perceivable minimum, when someone is asking about a truth.

...To say working with numbers is an arbitrary concept is neglecting your own existence.

I gave you another perspective on dhyana mudra that you can apply by bearing in mind the harmony between yin and yang, skilful means and concentration that this mudra can represent, so that you bring these themes into meditation subconsciously.

I have as much right to share my opinions on numerology as you do. You asked if it is important to stick to the right number, and my response was no. Do you only want people who believe in numerology to respond? If so, you are the one holding on to opinions because you are unwilling to even have to read differing ones! In life, people won't always agree with you. That should be the start of an open discussion on both sides, if there is any genuine interest in truth.

I agree that numbers can have meaning, any mathematician could have reams to say about π or e. Mathematicians and physicists could prove that π can be used to express something about black holes, the shapes of flower petals, or whatever it may be.

My disagreement with numerology, however, is the arbitrary way in which numerologists decide what a particular number signifies.

Who decides that 36 is positive and yang? What is their reasoning? Is this reasoning based on objective things (like the relation between a black hole's mass and Scwartzchild radius) or arbitrary conceptions (like the planet Mars relating to war)? Do the arguments follow logically, or have they been shoehorned ("I need to bring the number 23 into this somehow to prove this - oh, I know, humans get 23 chromosomes from each parent!"), such that the numerologist would shuffle awkwardly if asked to explain their gaping non sequitur ("why human chromosomes?" "oh... because there are 46, 46÷2 parents=23 which proves my assertion, and obviously humans are central to the entire universe, more important than all other species including all the ET's there may be put together, so...")?

Even if that side of things is proved beyond reasonable doubt, does 36 just correlate with positive yang, or is there a causal relationship such that if you do 36 of something that causes it to be more positive yang than 35 or 37 of the same thing? This requires sound reasoning too, and detail - are 36 grapes more positive yang than 12, or 19 - how far does the rule apply?

I would be interested to see an argument from you for 36 being positive yang.

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 1

Sidenote - I sometimes do a particular number of things with a deliberate arbitrary reason, e.g '21 recitations = 7 for body, speech and mind', for symbolic effect, as in my use of mudra.

This is different from the way a numerologist would do that, as for me it is just a symbolic ritual for generating a useful mindset - I know that really 20 recitations is 1 less powerful and 22 is 1 more powerful - while a numerologist would believe that 21 is objectively special and ignore the utter arbitrariness of using multiples of 7 and 'body, speech and mind' instead of '5 aggregates' or '23 maternal and paternal chromosomes'.

Edited by Seeker of Tao

I was taught that the left hand is on top with thumbs touching. I believe the right hand may be on top for females, but not one hundred percent certain. As with all mudras this creates a circuit of prana. Seeker has a point in that if you choose this mudra as your standard hand position for your regular practice, it becomes a signal that practice is in session. I believe repetition is important when establishing a regular practice.

Have nothing to contribute on the numerology.

Each finger is linked to an energy channel, associated with our various organs.

The positions held are important. They can impede flow to certain channels causing a reduction in certain emotional states, or they can open channels up causing influx of greater energy.

They are not mere postures.

Sign in to follow this