CrunchyChocolate555

A dog tried to kill me today, why?

CrunchyChocolate555, I wouldn't take it personally. If the owner of that dog was carrying a muzzle with her, she must have known her dog had some serious aggression issues. I have known lots of people with dogs, but they don't need to have a muzzle with them when they are visiting with other people and bring their dog along. If I understand the situation correctly, it sounds like that is just a very aggressive dog and the owner should not have brought the dog along if she knew it might possibly be aggressive and attack someone. Hope you are alright.

• Like 12

I agree with NotVoid about the owner knowing her dog was dangerous. At this point, unfortunately, you are likely "gun-shy" (dog-shy?) and dogs sense that. Spending time around some friendly dogs would do you well, I think. See if you have a therapy dog group in your vicinity, maybe?

• Like 4

I was chased by dog when I was pretty young. It was the first and (perhaps?) only time I've ever peed myself out of fright. Took me a long time to warm up to them after that.

Look at it from a more positive perspective -- it was a karmic event that had to happen, and now that it has, its over. Please try not to fret over it too much by reading into it more than what the event actually was.

Yes, fortunately this is exactly the way I'm seeing it, but it is still a bit disturbing.

I can't decide between wether I should figure out what I should learn from it, or just let it go...

Look at it from a more positive perspective -- it was a karmic event that had to happen, and now that it has, its over. Please try not to fret over it too much by reading into it more than what the event actually was.

That says a lot more about the fucktards who abused that dog than it says about you.

Dogs are one of the few creatures on this earth who will love you always at all times completely unconditionally and selflessly no matter what. They'll remember you forever, miss you when you're gone, freak out when you get back, and will literally love you until they die.

It takes a LOT to fuck up a dog. Like, a LOT.

I have, unfortunately, met several abused dogs in my life. Many of them are SCARED. They can physically tear the shit out of you, but despite that when they see people or situations that come to their abuse, they react from FEAR more than anger or anything else (you can see this in their eyes and the way they behave).

From a logistic standpoint, yeah, rescue dogs are dangerous and it does say a lot that she had a muzzle with her.

But also, dogs are amazing animals and it's a bunch of sickos that did that to that dog.

• Like 1

I can't decide between wether I should figure out what I should learn from it, or just let it go...

Let it go.

Go even further... send the best wishes to that dog that it will obtain a more favourable rebirth in its next life. This is to increase your own merit as well as the dog's. You may, however, not believe in rebirth. In this case, just take what i said as an attempt to humour you, and nothing more.

And please dont assume that its an asshole dog just because Rongzom Fan said there are many of them around. Only irresponsible people who don't have the slightest clue about what it means to raise a dog properly.

• Like 2

So something really strange and awful happened me today. I went to visit my new apartment where my room-mate and his GF had just moved in. They had brought in a female friend of theirs, who brought her dog along with her.

I arrived, the three of them were sitting on the couch, and I greeted them and introduced myself to their friend. As I extended my hand to shake hers, her dog suddenly pounced at my write hand and semi-bit me.

She put a muzzle on him, and after that he started going bonkers, and made several attempts at charging me, despite not being physically able to. He would just ram his nose in me as hard as he could. You could really see he wanted to just rip me apart into pieces.

Everyone was really surprised. Apparently the dog was not properly socially conditioned when it was young so it has some behavioural problems, but that it would just want to kill me like that, I mean WTF?

I took it as a real blow because I don't have the greatest self-esteem and self-love to begin with. That event REALLY made me feel like there is something fundamentally flawed with myself.

I consider myself a good person, and although I'm having some emotional difficulties in my life right now, I am a morally upright individual and would never do anyone any harm, ever.

This is also the 2nd time in a month that a dog has reacted to me this way. I would say the weird thing about this time is that it always charged straight at my liver, which is not doing so great, at least from the TCM perspective.

So I have no idea how to rationalize this... it's just really bothering me so much right now. I have still not moved in yet, and now I'm afraid my new roomates will think I'm some kind of terrible person... how can just let this go?

You are not to blame for anyone's poor behavior.

One of my closest friends was abused a lot as a child by her parents.

Now whenever she's treated poorly, her first instinct is to wonder what she's done to create the violence.

Nothing. She and you are not responsible for other people's poor decisions and violent behavior.

Drop that feeling like a heavy suitcase bud.... it's not yours.

• Like 7

So something really strange and awful happened me today. I went to visit my new apartment where my room-mate and his GF had just moved in. They had brought in a female friend of theirs, who brought her dog along with her.

I arrived, the three of them were sitting on the couch, and I greeted them and introduced myself to their friend. As I extended my hand to shake hers, her dog suddenly pounced at my write hand and semi-bit me.

She put a muzzle on him, and after that he started going bonkers, and made several attempts at charging me, despite not being physically able to. He would just ram his nose in me as hard as he could. You could really see he wanted to just rip me apart into pieces.

Everyone was really surprised. Apparently the dog was not properly socially conditioned when it was young so it has some behavioural problems, but that it would just want to kill me like that, I mean WTF?

I took it as a real blow because I don't have the greatest self-esteem and self-love to begin with. That event REALLY made me feel like there is something fundamentally flawed with myself.

I consider myself a good person, and although I'm having some emotional difficulties in my life right now, I am a morally upright individual and would never do anyone any harm, ever.

This is also the 2nd time in a month that a dog has reacted to me this way. I would say the weird thing about this time is that it always charged straight at my liver, which is not doing so great, at least from the TCM perspective.

So I have no idea how to rationalize this... it's just really bothering me so much right now. I have still not moved in yet, and now I'm afraid my new roomates will think I'm some kind of terrible person... how can just let this go?

My ex husband had that too, every single time we would visit some close friends of ours, their one dog would just go insane and bark and try to attack him. Did that with no one else ever. However they didn't have the dog since puppyhood, so we all figured that someone who looked just like this guy, must have abused the dog in the past.

I also wonder if it is sometimes an energy thing, different practices can definitely have animals react to you.

Funny thing, in general dogs have always loved me, accept this one, in a catholic store, it hated me! (I'm pagan). I thought that was so funny considering.

• Like 1

Sometimes abused dogs do the opposite of attack. I was going for a walk about a month ago, and from like a block away I saw this woman and her dog (some kind of pitbull Labrador mix) standing there. I went to the other side of the street...and as I walked past the owner said the dog was recently taken in by her, and was previously abused. It had seen me walking towards it from that far away and couldn't take another step...it was shivering out of pure fright at a stranger walking toward it! What a horrible thing to do to a creature that isn't nearly as capable as us. As I got past them it could finally move forward.

Be cautious with those who are dangerous, but don't let fear paralyze you from every one.

1) You're a male, he's a male. You moved toward his owner so he lunged. She's alpha so he may have thought you were making a move. 2) Or, if you were putting out erratic energy he may have lunged because of that. Animals aren't like us, they are energetically susceptible from the get go. You act skittish or nervous, he receives it and gets confused so for him it's kill you or you possibly kill him. Personally I'm going with the 2nd one only because of your lack of self esteem.

• Like 2

In my experience, when a dog doesn't like you it because something about you connects to a bad association they have in their head. I wouldn't take it personally, all it means is that you smell, look, etc. like something that dog associates as bad.

Not every animal looks into your soul and judges on your deepest merits.

• Like 2

I have experienced similar, dogs are 'mental' where ever I am. And I say this with great respect to their consciousness.

Lets rephrase the first sentence: Dogs have a tough time right now, as it seems.

It was said that dogs have one of 'the' toughest times of transitioning from the last in the the current and upcoming dimension. And that dogs are one step away of incarnating into human consciousness in their next lifetime due to the general huge amount of love they receive from human individuals. I am quoting.

I am quoting except pointing out my experience with dogs in the recent months: It was tough for myself. But I have figured out that had all to do with my honesty towards myself. I re-train myself in being honest 100% and it seems that some patterns were being brought up that might seem to look and feel abusive to the Dog Consciousness.

I see them now, not as animals or as dogs, I see them as part of myself. This understanding has changed ALOT in how dogs see me. Because remember you carry all of this in your aura, all the time. You dont like dogs? A part of your aura is read by dogs as "He does not like dogs, so why should I like him? GRRRRAWRRRAWAW!"

Maybe similar aspects were and still are the case for you.

And yes: Take it personal. Take it to your persona and reflect. Everything connects to everything. There is no 'just a bad day for that particular dog' - you might have awoken something within him. Which was then brought up, is now on the table for both of you to see and interact with.

I see this as a great opportunity in dealing with the Dog Consciousness (there is no individual dog) in a friendly way. You can also approach this particular dog in questioning him why he was like he was? He will tell you and you will understand.

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

Ok....^

Anyway, probably a couple things. Approaching a person with a dog in a new place can cause some aggression. I would say this is 80% previous and current owner caused, and 20% you, to completely make up statistics :)

I'm on the trail with my dog all the time. I ran into a guy a couple times who was clearly afraid of dogs and had had bad experiences. He "knew" my dog was going to react badly to him. So much that he already had a retractable club out and was extending it as we approached...

Now tell me...if you approach someone on a dark street, and they just walk by confidently...no biggie. But if they start acting weird and defensively and even start reaching for something...you are going to be on edge.

That guy probably had a couple bad experiences early on with dogs, and then CREATED every subsequent conflict by bringing it out of the dog because he just knew it was going to react badly to him and so his body language freaked the dog out. How could I tell him that HE was scaring my dog, not the other way around...?

So..self esteem and self love issues? Well, that won't necessarily set off any animal, but it doesn't help. Animals respond well to confident, assured people.

But there are some animals, and people, who just react badly for whatever reason.

My experience has been to appreciate when a new animal likes you for apparently no reason, and brush it off when they don't. If you had no bad intentions when you walked into that room, then it's the dogs problem (possibly caused by other people), not yours.

My dog has never been abused. But for the first three years of his life, he would bark at men with beards. He wouldn't come near me if I put on a hat (I rarely wore summer hats). He would bark, and wouldn't come anywhere near my brother or mom, who he met separately, until they had been in the same room for a while then he would slowly, and cautiously approach them...

If he had been an aggressive, rather than fearful dog, those situations may have been much worse...

My family are all dog people.

Not every animal looks into your soul and judges on your deepest merits.

There's mostly a lot of good advice in this thread. You could probably just take this advice and call it good. :)

• Like 2

Ok....^

Anyway, probably a couple things. Approaching a person with a dog in a new place can cause some aggression. I would say this is 80% previous and current owner caused, and 20% you, to completely make up statistics :)

I'm on the trail with my dog all the time. I ran into a guy a couple times who was clearly afraid of dogs and had had bad experiences. He "knew" my dog was going to react badly to him. So much that he already had a retractable club out and was extending it as we approached...

Now tell me...if you approach someone on a dark street, and they just walk by confidently...no biggie. But if they start acting weird and defensively and even start reaching for something...you are going to be on edge.

That guy probably had a couple bad experiences early on with dogs, and then CREATED every subsequent conflict by bringing it out of the dog because he just knew it was going to react badly to him and so his body language freaked the dog out. How could I tell him that HE was scaring my dog, not the other way around...?

So..self esteem and self love issues? Well, that won't necessarily set off any animal, but it doesn't help. Animals respond well to confident, assured people.

But there are some animals, and people, who just react badly for whatever reason.

My experience has been to appreciate when a new animal likes you for apparently no reason, and brush it off when they don't. If you had no bad intentions when you walked into that room, then it's the dogs problem (possibly caused by other people), not yours.

My dog has never been abused. But for the first three years of his life, he would bark at men with beards. He wouldn't come near me if I put on a hat (I rarely wore summer hats). He would bark, and wouldn't come anywhere near my brother or mom, who he met separately, until they had been in the same room for a while then he would slowly, and cautiously approach them...

If he had been an aggressive, rather than fearful dog, those situations may have been much worse...

My family are all dog people.

^^^ Did you know that 79.3% of all statistics are fabricated?

• Like 3

I suppose I will speak about dogs. The only breed I am wary of is the Chow. I have never been able to figure out what their intent was at any given point in time.

Some dogs are trained to be protective. If a person makes a move that the dog was trained to understand as a threat the dog will automatically go into the aggressive mode. In the opeining post I got the impression that the first encounter was a warning from the dog else Crunchy would be in the hospital now.

Most dogs and wild animals will almost always give a warning first before they go into a total aggressive posture. Heed the warning. And if you make eye contact you better be tougher than the animal you are making eye contact with.

BTW The Taoist Sage knows this and that is why he is able to walk amongst tigers and rhinos without being killed.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

It sounds like this dog is very protective for its master. I had a German Shepard before. When someone approach or touch me, he makes a warning sound but not aggressive like this. Indeed, the problem is the dog but not you.