thelerner

Baby its cold outside

The high for this Monday is -10 degrees. Thats not windchill, not the low, its the high. The schools have autocalled telling us they'll be closed on account of cold - Wimps. In my day we were happy if it got up to above -10. We were tough, walking 10 miles to school, up hill both ways, often facing life or death battles with pulverizing polar bears, willy walruses and crazed killer caribou.

Any fun experiments we could do? Maybe fill a glass with water, toss it up and see if it freezes before hitting the ground?

I remember one time when it was this cold, an ice geyser formed by the shores of lake Michigan. The lake was iced over for about 50 yards, waves moved under the ice and explode/spashed out of frozen geyser. It was an amazing effect, I've only seen it that one time. If you got too close you'd be splashed, but you wouldn't get wet because the water froze on your coat very quickly.

• Like 2

saw it snow once in San Diego (near Balboa park) but that was in the 1960's,

didn't last long though because the hippies were so hot...

• Like 1

I'm glad we didn't get the worst of this storm. 5 degrees F for the high here today. Back to the 30s tomorrow.

The first winter I moved here, we had seven days straight of lows in the -30s F and highs around -15F. Started getting little pockets of frost on my inside walls...

• Like 1

I remember hearing my pee fall as ice while using my dad's buddy's outhouse on a winter fishing trip to the cabin.

I remember my nose and eyelids freezing shut while waiting for the bus to school many mornings.

I remember breaking a tooth on a candy bar that flash froze on the way home from the corner store, it was a Charleston Chew...

I remember my best friend nearly dying the night he tried to get home with -75 windchill and blew a tire.

I remember moving to Southern California where...

Today it's 75 here and my son, that same best friend and I just left the gaming store, in our t-shirts and sunglasses...

• Like 2

I remember hearing my pee fall as ice while using my dad's buddy's outhouse on a winter fishing trip to the cabin.

I remember my nose and eyelids freezing shut while waiting for the bus to school many mornings.

I remember breaking a tooth on a candy bar that flash froze on the way home from the corner store, it was a Charleston Chew...

I remember my best friend nearly dying the night he tried to get home with -75 windchill and blew a tire.

I remember moving to Southern California where...

Today it's 75 here and my son, that same best friend and I just left the gaming store, in our t-shirts and sunglasses...

*looks at your location* did you move or something?

42 here at the moment. Will be below zero by tomorrow night.

Wow it's 42c here

Last year for Australia was the hottest average temperatures since they started keeping records :(

• Like 3

*looks at your location* did you move or something?

I grew up in Minnesota, moved to NYC for seven years and have spent the last 14 years in Cali... :)

• Like 1

Love that it's a comfortable 23*Celsius here, this summer has been amazing for temperature. The icing on the cake is the non-stop whining from friends back in Brisbane about practically melting in the 44+ heat.

I'm happy to hear about some people who live in Brisbane melting in the heat... :D

I'm not

That's the capital city of my state man

and we have more members from Brisbane than just mo pai scammers :P

• Like 2

Hopefully it doesn't last to long then...

It's really strange hearing about people finding it to hot right now, as I'm pretty sure there will be frost on the ground for my walk to the gym (that I'm putting off lol).

We've dropped about 25F in the last 12 hours and will drop about that much more in the next 12. Wind has started to blow, too.