BaguaKicksAss

Anyone else make/sell jewelry?

I'm curious what the markup on gold is for casting? I mean over and above what the casting grain costs, then also the $$ charged for the time carving the wax and etc.?? I have no idea on this one.

Unfortunately I undercharged on my first gold signet ring as I didn't realize it would weigh as much as it did (even after carving as much away from the inside top as I could). So I will only be making $200 after all costs on a $1200 ring :(. I figure I should probably charge $1500 for such things if the gold costs $950.

Btw, most of the ones I make are semi custom, they are a standard design I do, and I just make them to order in the person's size. (I should probably get some wax molds made of each one).

• Like 2

I am highly skilled artisan and charge $500-1000 per 10 hours of labor for my services when freelancing depending on the piece.

This is above cost of materials.

• Like 2

I'm a highly skilled engraving stuff onto gemstones artisan, well and painting too, but my jewelry, is only so so at this point, so I would likely charge a bit less. However the items I do make no one else does, so that helps.

I'm not that good at it.. yet... but I can maybe post a fb photo or 2 here. I was completely self taught until recently. I want to see Silent Thunder's as well! :D

I also now have a complete lost wax casting setup that I'm going to teach myself to use. I took a mini course on it, but they didn't cover the particular equipment (vacuum casting) that I have. I also need to figure out how to run a kiln + vacuum caster at the same time without blowing a breaker ;). Experiment #1 didn't go so well lol.

So far I have gotten the steel rings and the gold ring cast at the local place downtown. I also make soldered rings and pendants.

Lots of fun! :)

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about the privacy settings on this, can you folks see the photo?

996988_614001948664636_556594545_n.jpg

1460262_612188852179279_416735507_n.jpg

1374863_612188772179287_1089201509_n.jpg

1 sterling silver bracelet with a large star ruby cabochon.

A couple of "fun with nitric acid" rings, one copper, one sterling silver.

A cast steel ring below, custom order. Yes that is a magical alphabet inside the ring.

995230_620884167976414_365775621_n.jpg

And another bracelet that I ran through the rolling mill with some lace.. Again a large ruby cabochon.

1014041_612185568846274_452627675_n.jpg

• Like 6

Great stuff!

I thread wooden and plastic beads and so on, to make rattley, jangley bracelets.

Its not artisan!

But they are pretty.

The problem is people keep asking for them, so I give them away all the time.

• Like 1

Great stuff!

I thread wooden and plastic beads and so on, to make rattley, jangley bracelets.

Its not artisan!

But they are pretty.

The problem is people keep asking for them, so I give them away all the time.

Photos please! :)

I don't currently have access to a camera, its something I need to get sorted out.

I also need to get working on my wood work projects.

My staff, rod and wand.

Sadly they are still at my old home, I need to pick them up.

I'll do some pics when I can, it might be a while.

Why don't you let me send you a pm? You seem to be blocking them!