Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

duality lol

Stanhope's reaction to how an atheist responded to Wolf Blitzer in an interview about her destroyed home is awesome, as is his take on why responded the way he did.... funny how hate can make you do some really nice things... lmao

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

Hurricanes AND tornadoes

,, and fire ..

..and rain

..and occasional snow

And of course lightning..

and Love bugs ..

:)

Edited by Stosh

Hurricanes AND tornadoes

,, and fire ..

..and rain

..and occasional snow

And of course lightning..

and Love bugs ..

Yes, Florida gets tornadoes during hurricanes. And there are often fires started at Gentlemen's clubs by fundamentalist Christians. And rains? There are rains during hurricanes. And yes, for my area it is an average of one snowfall every seven years. And, of course, lightning during storms. And love bugs and lightning bugs too. Even German Cockroaches and other bugs too.

But Oklahoma does not get hurricanes.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Yes, Florida gets tornadoes during hurricanes. And there are often fires started at Gentlemen's clubs by fundamentalist Christians. And rains? There are rains during hurricanes. And yes, for my area it is an average of one snowfall every seven years. And, of course, lightning during storms. And love bugs and lightning bugs too. Even German Cockroaches and other bugs too.

But Oklahoma does not get hurricanes.

Lightning bugs? Wow I havent seen those in a long long time.. they just arent down here in Central FL, that I know of. I wish they were , Id like to try to get a photograph of them. When I lived up north I remember a 'gathering' of them once.

Lightning bugs? Wow I havent seen those in a long long time.. they just arent down here in Central FL, that I know of. I wish they were , Id like to try to get a photograph of them. When I lived up north I remember a 'gathering' of them once.

I don't see many in my area either. But I remember going to Bluegrass Music Festivals in Southern Georgia they were abundant.

There really isn't any reason I know of why they are not common in my or your areas. Just the way it is, I guess.

I remember up in Ohio when I was a kid they were all over the place at certain times of the year.

Love bugs are one of the things I don't miss about living in Florida.

;)

;)

Hehehe. Yeah, Love Bugs are a different animal from Lightning Bugs.

I rarely drive after dark so I don't really have a problem with them.

;)

I dont know how long ago that was , but they arent so bad now as they once were, I googled it and read that some natural balance had reduced them from being as prolific as they had once been. Luckily like MH said they arent so bad at night and the torrential downpours help to wash them off.

Wherever you go theres always SOMETHING natural disaster-wise so I guess you choose your poison.

But I suppose one could also joyfully and with an air of embrace, stick ones head out the window, while driving, to experience the unique sensation they would present. ( for those without motor cycles )

• Like 1

I moved out in the late 70s. Have relatives scattered throughout the state and get down there occasionally but not very often. Hadn't encountered thick clouds of them in many years but just assumed I was fortunate in missing mating season or something. I can remember having to stop frequently to pour Coke on the windshield to clean the gunk off with and having to use a brush on radiators to unclog them so cars wouldn't overheat.

• Like 2

Sounds like the mayflies we'd get in Minnesota once in a while.

They hatch in massive quantities along the rivers, live a day or two before mating and then they all die in mass. They would die in such numbers that their bodies would be sometimes be left over a foot deep on the bridges and the snowplows would have to be brought out to clear the bridges and some roads near the river.

http://www.bringmethenews.com/2012/07/16/snowplows-head-to-hastings-to-clear-away-mayflies/

I remember waking up one morning on a weekend. We were camping along the river on my dad's boat and I was asleep on the floor of the back area of the boat, my Dad and Step-mom slept in the cabin below. Being Minnesota, there was a bug net that sealed off the rear open area under the captains' canopy, which was a good thing, because when I woke up that day, I thought it was still night as it was pitch dark out. except for these little flecks of light showing up in various places around the net...

Turns out it was a record breaking mayfly hatch that night and the boat and miles of the surrounding area were covered in mayflies. When I say covered, I'm not using hyperbole, I mean there was not one quarter of one inch of boat visible under their bodies.

Of course my Dad revealed that 'it's the rule that kids have to get the anchor when the boat is covered in Mayflies... I mean, it's just the rule... lol I knew they didn't have mouths and couldn't bite, but I was freaked out that I would have to yawn and they'd fly in my mouth. lol I was like 8 or so.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

I have seen documentaries about mayflies and yes, they are worse than the lovebugs. But, as you mentioned, the mayflies are around for only two or three days, the lovebugs are around for two or three months.

Wow , I can imagine how a kid ( or many adults ) would freak out over the coating of mayflies like that though.

I was pretty good with it, by that time, I'd been going under our porch each spring to get out the boating supplies.

Dad must have really hated bugs lol...

Our porch surrounded three sides of the house and was home to thousands and thousands of river spiders.

When I'd crawl under there to start passing out the stuff, they'd be crawling in my shirt, hair, up my shorts, basically everywhere.

Again, totally harmless but still remember crawling through the webs and feeling the little buggers on my skin.

• Like 1

I was pretty good with it, by that time, I'd been going under our porch each spring to get out the boating supplies.

Dad must have really hated bugs lol...

Our porch surrounded three sides of the house and was home to thousands and thousands of river spiders.

When I'd crawl under there to start passing out the stuff, they'd be crawling in my shirt, hair, up my shorts, basically everywhere.

Again, totally harmless but still remember crawling through the webs and feeling the little buggers on my skin.

UGGHHH !

Silent Thunder is being a bit dramatic, methinks. I Live in MN and I've never heard of mayflies needing to be plowed off the road, LOL. I remember the lovely "tornadoes" they made by Mille Lacs, though, driving up to the lake... We went to dairy queen around the 4th of July once and the walls were covered. I don't know how they were keeping them out of the food. I'm just assuming they weren't...

The fireflies are intense up north. It's like Avatar, no kidding.

Silent Thunder is being a bit dramatic, methinks. I Live in MN and I've never heard of mayflies needing to be plowed off the road, LOL. I remember the lovely "tornadoes" they made by Mille Lacs, though, driving up to the lake... We went to dairy queen around the 4th of July once and the walls were covered. I don't know how they were keeping them out of the food. I'm just assuming they weren't...

The fireflies are intense up north. It's like Avatar, no kidding.

Nope I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

The direct experience I'm talking about was in the late 70's. I'll never forget it.

Haven't experienced the firefly thing though... that would be magical.

Haven't experienced the firefly thing though... that would be magical.

I lived in Ohio when I was young and there were many fireflies back than. And yes, they are magical to watch.

Sign in to follow this