Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

a Purpose

A bum PM'd about a purpose for applying effort…

hi Vous❤ I believe you. Realizing your own mind without thinking thoughts is worthy of an authentic development of natural human being. Is that a "purpose" you can carry out?

Our human mentality has become the center of it's own attention. Do you believe it? It's true. Don't believe its contents though. It exists by virtue of this doing of its reflective activity— its self perpetuating habit-energy.

The only way to discover sanity in the midst of insanity right now is to practice observing the mentality that thinks itself into existence. You simply cannot stop it by stopping it— that has proven to create insanity where there was none in the first place.

In observation of mind, often you will be taken along with the flow of thoughts time and time again. Just be unminding in the face of relentless habitual mental activity. The real you has the will. Will is the function of intent— it is outside the organization of the false identity of the follower of thoughts. Will to observe the flow and ebb of the human mentality without anticipating its mania or malaise. Observe its boredom with equanimity. Observe it all for no reason at all. There is no point to enlightenment as it is your mind already.

Ultimately, the human mentality cannot stand up to an endless, unbending open sincere intent of nonpsychological observation into the habitual activity of its own ego-sustaining psychological momentum.

Surrounding the source of its own habit-energy with a 360˚ mirror will eventually result in a wonderful little *poof* of oblivion for that pesky thinker. It's no use anticipating that, though.

Don't give up. Exactly when it seems as though you are gnawing on an iron spike, just then is the most important time to persevere, and the bottom of the bucket will drop off.

The fact that this is done for no reason at all is the pièce de résistance of observation of mind. Ego cannot stand up to this relentless device. Resolve an unbending intent for the hell of it to just observe all states or non-states of minding mind.

If you can lightly and good-naturedly with a firm yet gentle unbending intent enter into this mode of nonpsychological observation of habitual mental activity for a long, long time, eventually this human mind consisting of habit-energy will crap out in a most wonderful way.

There is no point at all. The most wonderful way is a matter of the human mentality reverting to its inherent nature, whereby nothing is gained by its realization.

There is nothing else I can tell you other than to study the classics suited to your particular predilection without projecting yourself into the source of the words or their ultimate meaning.

I say this because the classics were written by enlightening beings to express that which can only be recognized by enlightening beings. Forget ideas. They are the dregs. Observe mind whether or not it is there without following it unawares. It will trick you a million times. Just start over with observation a million-and-one times and smile at the Mona Lisa while drilling holes through granite with your unbending purposeless intent.

This is the most purposeful purposelessness I can recommend, mon ami.❤

ed note: add "psychological momentum in 5th paragraph

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 11

Can you see any point to anything in the universe? It seems unfathomable, which is OK for no reason other than to keep the ride interesting.

There is the whole thing about spiritual immortality which i know nothing about, but that also seems like another one of those "so what?" topics.

haha!!❤ The universe you speak of is Creation, BD. What is interesting is awareness itself~ What a mystery!

One is a mystery and the other is a mystery within the mystery. The inner mystery gives birth to the outer mystery.

Prior illuminates have left behind a teaching for those with the predilection for seeing their nature. There have always been those who are born knowing.

Complete Reality has no point other than its perpetually self-refreshing brilliant living awareness. Just this being you is the discovery of those with the audacity and will to see their nature. Furthermore, in the aftermath of enlightenment, one gradually enters the tao in reality, in terms of secretly transforming karmic energy into potential immaterial essence within the context of ordinary situations. So what?

Spiritual immortality is seeing this and partaking in the mystery of its concurrent inseparable karmically evolutionary aspect by not going along with creation while in its midst.

I ask and answer the "so what" issue every now and then myself, actually~ read my threads with more care, BD!!

Ok… So what if you do or don't accomplish the Complete Reality of immortalists? Who is bound by creation and who sends it off? Ultimately there is no person; the light is one. Those who turn the light around follow it back to its source wherein inherent enlightening being operates its subtlety.

Ordinary people are compelled to follow the light of creation's cycles of birth and death. Those who follow the same light in reverse do not go along with the flow of karmic birth and death. So what?

suninmyeyes started a thread recently that introduces the brilliant words of Hongzhi. "Bad energy, negative attacks, what to do", sounds like business as usual in this created universe. Spiritual immortality is the effect and realization of her opening quote of Hongzhi's.

Spiritual immortality is just words, but the reality behind it is inconceivability. This is you even now~ wanna find out?

bad energy , negative attacks, what to do ?
  • Like 5

I still like that my purpose is to find a purpose, but I must be sure to save such explorations and contemplations as side projects...seems that if one were all knowledgeable for a few minutes (lets just pretend its possible), one could then divine ones ultimate purposes, write them down - trust that they are true. So given all the conflicting information as to what is possible out there/in here, it is no wonder that people are confused about purpose - they don't know which people really know anything worth believing in.

So secondary, related purpose is to learn ever truer knowledge - through various means...Taoist, Scientific, Buddhist, and otherwise....even if such knowledge is to eventually be dropped, which it seems it should be.

When all the 'looking' in too many places results in distracted attention - a thicket of thorns, etc. then it behooves me to keep discipline and keep the searching on a back burner and actually apply myself to a streamlined method...

haha!!❤ The universe you speak of is Creation, BD. What is interesting is awareness itself~ What a mystery!

Do you dis/agree with the (Vedic?) statement that "Awareness, that which one is aware of, and the processes of awareness are all one and the same?"

Complete Reality has no point other than its perpetually self-refreshing brilliant living awareness. Just this being you is the discovery of those with the audacity and will to see their nature. Furthermore, in the aftermath of enlightenment, one gradually enters the tao in reality, in terms of secretly transforming karmic energy into potential immaterial essence within the context of ordinary situations. So what?

Can you define 'karmic energy?' I have a definition in my head: the energy that action/reaction/cause/effect processes produces in the process known as a person...

Spiritual immortality is seeing this and partaking in the mystery of its concurrent inseparable karmically evolutionary aspect by not going along with creation while in its midst.

When you say 'not going along with creation,' would you say that you mean that in a karmic sense, such as if a situation would result in a normal person becoming involved in action/reaction processes that would simply result in more 'suffering' or 'nonenlightenment situations?'

Ok… So what if you do or don't accomplish the Complete Reality of immortalists? Who is bound by creation and who sends it off? Ultimately there is no person; the light is one. Those who turn the light around follow it back to its source wherein inherent enlightening being operates its subtlety.

I don't know that anything is ever bound truly - just the appearance of being bound, due to participating in karmic games and attachment processes...

Edited by Songtsan

I found another of my "so what" responses, BD…❤

From http://thetaobums.co..."golden flower"

Then people may ask, But why?

I say neither good or bad, reality is the basis of enlightened qualities inherent in oneself. There is no thing inside or outside. Why not find out for oneself what this no thing is? Ultimately, it is a solitary vision of impersonal unity, selfless desire unknowing, boundless and free, subsuming within sameness. It's the party raging within your own skull before your parents were born.

Turning your focus around is itself enacting inherent enlightening qualities outside of self and other unbeknownst to anyone. The situation itself determines, is complicit within and without, the focus never having been focused before this instant.

This is spontaneity. How free is that?

Freedom, spontaneity…eh~ hahaahha!!❤❤

• Like 1

Our human mentality has become the center of it's own attention. Do you believe it? It's true. Don't believe its contents though. It exists by virtue of this doing of its reflective activity— its self perpetuating habit-energy.

The only way to discover sanity in the midst of insanity right now is to practice observing the mentality that thinks itself into existence. You simply cannot stop it by stopping it— that has proven to create insanity where there was none in the first place.

Surrounding the source of its own habit-energy with a 360˚ mirror will eventually result in a wonderful little *poof* of oblivion for that pesky thinker. It's no use anticipating that, though.

Don't give up. Exactly when it seems as though you are gnawing on an iron spike, just then is the most important time to persevere, and the bottom of the bucket will drop off.

Gnawing on an iron spike.

Nice image. Also a rather inspiring message. Is the "bottom of the bucket" dropping off the same idea as the "*poof* of oblivion?"

Prior illuminates have left behind a teaching for those with the predilection for seeing their nature. There have always been those who are born knowing.

I once met someone who was born a 'seer', meaning she could see things most people cannot. Energy bodies and things like that. For a while, when she was young, she said she always assumed everyone else could see it too. She was surprised to find that most people were blind to it.

I stole both the images, Green Tiger. They are somewhat characteristic expressions in certain Chan schools— aren't they superb images!!

"The bottom of the bucket" as well as "the skin-bag" dropping off are both ancient euphemisms for seeing your nature, or the moment when the conditioned identity of the temporal personality ceases to exist and sudden realization of one's own selfless nonoriginated awareness as the true identity of reality occurs.

"Gnawing on an iron spike" may have originated in China, or Japan— or it may have come with Bodhidharma… I don't know. But certainly the advice to "pour on the fire of concentration" when exactly the time one feels like it's just like this is the most important thing to remember.

People asking why this is so seems natural enough~ I guess it is essentially the same as the famous question made of Sir Edmund Hillary upon returning from his and Tensing Norgay's successful ascent of Chomolungma (Mt. Everest) in 1953, "why do you climb mountains?" (I have been on a few alpine epics myself and have been guiding professionally for many years)… When perhaps it seems there is no reason to be persevering, it is the best time to persevere. Why? There is absolutely no reason to think of.

Which is the point, after all— the absolute's pervasion of the created is causeless. There is no reason for this utter mystery.

It is so, and no one knows why.

It is so utterly glorious. I suppose also in terms of harmonizing with the source of the totality of one's being, which has never fallen into the reasonable, the audacity of penetrating the tastelessness of the singularity of persevering for the sheer hell of it, is what it takes to get to the point of shedding the impostor of self and resonating with and producing the response of the unattributable in oneself.

So yes, "poofage" haha!! is oblivion of the conditional façade and arrival of the absolute within the absolute.

Yes, that is so funny about her being surprised that her special gifts were not the norm!!

I myself do not have any gifts of that nature, I have the simple gift of a type of wonder which penetrates by virtue of wordlessness. There is nothing to know~ and it is so wonderful.

There is another ancient expression, "the limit of the limitless". I like that one too. It speaks of arriving at the extremity of perseverance which finally breaks through to our own point of incipient natural centeredness, which has no location or beginning.

With this purpose at hand, those with the predilection to penetrate wonderous mysteries, the sextant of pointlessness becomes a guiding light in terms of choosing the path with heart for no reason at all besides reaching for the wonder of it all.❤

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this