BaguaKicksAss

New Year resolutions anyone?

Yes, yes I know it's only one calendar, one which most here likely don't go by for spiritual stuff, but still... personally I take every excuse and opportunity possible to bring about some positive change ;).

Anyone have any for the upcoming year?

Also, here is a tradition which we follow on my particular magical path. On new years day (January 1st) what you do during that day sets the stage for the entire year to come. So for example we would relax a lot, eat well, especially lucky foods, spend time with family and friends, and so forth.

With this in mind, I have always found it extremely funny that most people spend it hungover ;). I don't think anyone has to try particularly hard to figure out what I will be doing on that day!

• Like 2

Haha, well, no. How many New Year's resolutions actually stick?

I make resolutions daily...keeps my practice in check ;)

• Like 2

I try not to make direct intellectual intentions as the conscious mind tends to rebound and fight what the conscious mind attempts (something I picked up from Bardon). If i have a goal i just relax into it and never intellectually admit i am pursuing it even though i possibly may be doing so. :)

Either that or I state it in the presence tense as if I have already accomplished so the conscious mind won't struggle and but up obstacles

I possibly..might be attempting to add more of a flowing nature to all areas of my life and esoteric practices this year..possibly. :P

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

To do the best i can with what I have...Hoping to find my point and purpose this year...

Let us be as new
I don't know who I was or will be
I don't know who you were or will be
I feel nice when I think of you who I never knew
Not knowing is fine
The person I was never was

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

Nope, NY resolutions always seem to end up being counterproductive. But I do have general hopes and plans for next year - exercise more, meditate more, study more, waste less time doing meaningless/unhealthy crap. If I can make as much improvement again next year as I have this year, I'll be pretty happy.

• Like 2

Increase Gratitude...

Wonderful idea! Just spent the last half hour meditating on 'gratefulness', having been led to it by this really inspiring clip by a Christian bodhisattva ( ;) ), David Steindl-Rast....

• Like 3

No resolution for the whole year, but I'm trying to increase my discipline through 30 day trials.

Today I finished restricting my internet use, and started daily sit-ups. I'll try to keep up a chain of trials like that, and at some point I may give retention another shot. :)

A useful app for stuff like this is 'habit streak'.

• Like 2

Also, here is a tradition which we follow on my particular magical path. On new years day (January 1st) what you do during that day sets the stage for the entire year to come. So for example we would relax a lot, eat well, especially lucky foods, spend time with family and friends, and so forth.

BaguaKicksAss,

Not sure if I believe this or not, but it surely can't hurt. Gonna kick up my practice for New Years Day, see what happens. Thanks!

Liminal

• Like 1

No resolution for the whole year, but I'm trying to increase my discipline through 30 day trials.

Today I finished restricting my internet use, and started daily sit-ups. I'll try to keep up a chain of trials like that, and at some point I may give retention another shot. :)

A useful app for stuff like this is 'habit streak'.

Awesome way to go about it :).

Hmmm, trade time online for situps!

BaguaKicksAss,

Not sure if I believe this or not, but it surely can't hurt. Gonna kick up my practice for New Years Day, see what happens. Thanks!

Liminal

I have found it to work, even when the day wasn't planned as well as it could have been... lol

Always a good reason to kick up the practice... that's one area where I like to find any excuse to do so heh.

I recall TaoMeow mentioning that either before or after she posts on TTB, she does taichi. Linking her time on TTB to increased taichi practice. (As I believe she already practices taichi regularly.)

I *like* that idea! :)

Hmmmmm.....

I've been thinking I should start limiting myself to a few beers on the weekends. I've been drinking 2-4 every night lately. Back when all you could get was Bud Light it wasn't an issue, but all these new craft beers are SO DELICIOUS!

• Like 1

Remain silent, or say something better than silence...

Compassion before Judgement...

Increase Gratitude...

With things of this nature, I get pretty pissy when they remain all diaphanous and abstract...

I really strive for something concrete that I can use daily, moment by moment to bring it into action in the now.

Here's a game I've come up with for the remain silent portion of my list.

Pythagorus' quote: Remain silent or say something better than silence, rang my bell pretty hard some time back and I've spent a fair amount of time sitting with this idea over the last two years. Recently this sitting brought forth a powerful realization about the impact of thoughts on my 'identity' and more importantly on the quality of my experience of life.

Sitting with this distilled into an understanding that allows me to consciously put into practice in a very simple way, something I take as the core meaning of this teaching.

Words are vibration.

Vibration affects all things.

Choose my words with greater care.

The game is simple:

Don't give in to the compulsion to endlessly discuss something I judge to be wrong, bad, fucked up, stupid, insipid, pedantic, childish, lame, harsh, evil... take note of it, but don't wallow in it, don't feed it.

I would rather create conscious use of my words as a form of power to affect my life directly, in the now to express joy about that which I most love, cherish, admire, wish to emulate, hope for and dream about.

Here's where the game part comes in... to help me remain mindful... I've taken to wearing a string of twelve small silver tonga bells around my neck like some European work horse; their soft tone at each small movement, reminding me to stay mindful of thoughts and words... that and I freaking jingle and it's kind of awesome to have a jingling, positive vibe viking walking around the world...
  • Like 6

On new years day (January 1st) what you do during that day sets the stage for the entire year to come.

Happy 2014 everyone

My dad believes that too. And last new year we played music but didn't have dinner and we ended up playing quite a bit of music in 2013 but didn't eat together much.

So today I'm cooking a roast and taking it to my parents :)

Plus it's the new moon so I can practice yoga by having a rest day :lol:

• Like 3

I would like to find ways to work phrases like "the bee's knees" and "the cat's pajamas" into more everyday conversations.

• Like 3