Aeran

Clearing nostrils for meditation?

Any advice? They aren't fully blocked, but enough so that I can't breath without an annoying loud whistling sound, which makes it impossible to concentrate.

Help! :o

You know how you see those nice photos in cookbooks, then you make the item and it tastes good and all but looks more like a heap of random stuff than the pretty photo? Yeah well that image on the front of that neti pot video...

• Like 2

Ha ha it does look a bit too nice and friendly. All smiling and whatnot. She's obviously not doing it right. :huh:

• Like 1

Any advice? They aren't fully blocked, but enough so that I can't breath without an annoying loud whistling sound, which makes it impossible to concentrate.

It is obviously you have a breathing problem. Do not try to concentrate at this movement but concentrate to clear your nostrils. Another word meditation is not your primary concern for now but clearing the nostril is.

To clear your nostrils, you need to breathe lightly and slowly to let the air into your nostrils. You breathe to a point that your nostrils which allow the air to get in. As soon you have reach to a point which the blockage starts, you should exhale immediately. It takes time and patience to do this but continue with this process. Eventually, your nostrils will be cleared.

One must breathe correctly for the body to function properly. Letting air into the body is to allow the body to correct itself for internal self-healing. Tai Ji Quan is the best slow exercise for someone to correct a breathing problem.

• Like 2

^ Ugh, brain eating amoeba, that doesn't sound fun :| Cheers for the heads up!

Neti pot is a possibility, but it's only the last few days that I've had this issue, so I was going for something a bit more short term. If the issue keeps up then I'll definitely nab one.

It is obviously you have a breathing problem. Do not try to concentrate at this movement but concentrate to clear your nostrils. Another word meditation is not your primary concern for now but clearing the nostril is.

To clear your nostrils, you need to breathe lightly and slowly to let the air into your nostrils. You breathe to a point that your nostrils which allow the air to get in. As soon you have reach to a point which the blockage starts, you should exhale immediately. It takes time and patience to do this but continue with this process. Eventually, your nostrils will be cleared.

One must breathe correctly for the body to function properly. Letting air into the body is to allow the body to correct itself for internal self-healing. Tai Ji Quan is the best slow exercise for someone to correct a breathing problem.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

• Like 1

They will open up when the area relaxes enough such that energy can flow through your sinuses properly. Relax behind your eyes and along the lines that come down from there. It actually makes me sneeze sometimes if above is open but below is not. It seems like the energy wells up in my sinuses and explodes into a sneeze.

It works for me sometimes. I'm not particularly good at it. Perhaps have a play with it and see if it does you any good.

I tend to just steam with boiling water and eucalyptus. Seems to do the trick...but don't stress over formal meditation like ChiDragon says...just on getting yourself back to feeling 100%!

It helps to stop using the sinuses and air passageways to facilitate the movement of air. It takes some practice to do well, but it is also a secret key to deep meditation - shut off that excitement of the olfactory nerve ;) Downstream enough once things are well established, when the light of the ldt reflects back up to the niwan, it'll start cleaning your sinuses for you. Have that happen every day and you tend to not get stuffed up at all :)

• Like 3

Wasabi.

Also, I found that the relaxation/dissolving practice of B.K. Frantzis' "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" can help as well. Sometimes I'll have a "stuffy" feeling and then suddenly a blockage will move (probably sinus gunk) and my nostrils will be more clear and I can breathe more air more deeply.

But also, wasabi.

• Like 1

Snot necessary.

• Like 1

You have to see if you are sucking the sides of the nostrils when you breath in.

Actually they expand with inhale and get neutral with exhale and if you work on that you

will find that the body is tensed when you can let go of this habit.

It helps to stop using the sinuses and air passageways to facilitate the movement of air. It takes some practice to do well, but it is also a secret key to deep meditation - shut off that excitement of the olfactory nerve ;) Downstream enough once things are well established, when the light of the ldt reflects back up to the niwan, it'll start cleaning your sinuses for you. Have that happen every day and you tend to not get stuffed up at all :)

Nice explanation! I especially like what you say about not using sinuses to facilitate the movement of air.

For years since moving to the Southwest, I suffered from harsh sinus conditions whenever the Santa Ana winds would blow.

Three years into regular qigong practice and now, my sinus passages stay wide open, even in the face of my recent bout with the flu.

• Like 1

There's a sun/moon movement in Michael Winn's gi gung Fundamental II DVD. I don't know if I can describe it too well, but it activates single nostril breathing. Feet are shoulder width apart, hands low and infront of the body, facing each other a few inches apart.

The hands stay the same relative to each other but slowly swing up naturally to one shoulder. As it moves up you feel energy coming up the leg and that side of the body. Hands (still facing each other a few inches apart) stop shoulder high, turn head to look at it. Then hands move down along the side, as its done you feel energy moving down. At bottom of motions hands swing up to the other side. As they swing up, you feel energy moving up that leg. Again stopping shoulder high. Head turns and looks to hands on that side.

Big smooth U shaped pendulum motion is repeated. Feeling the energy moving up and down the right and left side. Breath moves with the pendulum and after a while the nostril of the side moving up and down clears and is the only one doing the breathing. Alternating nicely as you do each side. A nice chi gung version of yogic single nostril breathing.

• Like 1

I've been noticing a circadian rhythm to my nostrils. One will constrict (with no seeming external condition) while the other is wide open. This will shift through the day every couple of hours, but frequently I'll notice that one nostril is active and the other passive. I assume this has to do with the subtle energy channels, but that is pure intuitive response on my part.

• Like 1

I broke my nose quite a few times during my MMA years.

Before I do meditation, rituals etc, I blow it for like 15 minutes.

It sounds like a flute than got ran over by a truck.

Sometimes, I blow it so loud, the dogs in the neighborhood will start barking.

I snore LOUD too. Surprised the priest down at the church on the corner doesn't climb through my window at night and dump holy water on me lol

• Like 2

I broke my nose quite a few times during my MMA years.

Before I do meditation, rituals etc, I blow it for like 15 minutes.

It sounds like a flute than got ran over by a truck.

Sometimes, I blow it so loud, the dogs in the neighborhood will start barking.

I snore LOUD too. Surprised the priest down at the church on the corner doesn't climb through my window at night and dump holy water on me lol

It's OK, they have already surrounded your house several times over with holy water and crucifixes ;).

• Like 3

I've been noticing a circadian rhythm to my nostrils. One will constrict (with no seeming external condition) while the other is wide open. This will shift through the day every couple of hours, but frequently I'll notice that one nostril is active and the other passive. I assume this has to do with the subtle energy channels, but that is pure intuitive response on my part.

would be cool if it were due to a subtle energetic response, but it's a normal function of the human immune system. It's more UNusual to have a body that shuts down both nostrils at the same time. There's a method to tricking the stuffed nostril into opening, but I forget it at the moment, oops!

Anyway, I wanted to post this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gelomyrtol-Forte-20-Kapseln-Capsules/dp/B004281W0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388347724&sr=8-1&keywords=gelomyrtol

Gelomyrtol, good stuff! It's the go-to preparation for bronchial and nasal problems here. Completely natural, and very effective (when taken correctly).

Also, JoeBlast touched on something that I think he could have gone into more detail on. Basically, if you're breathing from the diaphragm/stomach, as you should be, then all the rest of the respiratory apparatus should be held in relaxation. Move the belly slowly, rhythmically, to draw fresh air in deeply, and expel old air thoroughly. Do not use the chest at all. Try to keep the airways open and unhindered, that's all. The point it, you don't need a wide-open nose to breath effectively, deeply, and comfortably, but you need practice.

Now the whistling ... that'd drive me crazy, too, lol. Breathe more slowly (and just blow your nose beforehand?).

Edited to add an important UN to the word unusual up there... Oops.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

would be cool if it were due to a subtle energetic response, but it's a normal function of the human immune system. It's more usual to have a body that shuts down both nostrils at the same time. There's a method to tricking the stuffed nostril into opening, but I forget it at the moment, oops!

Anyway, I wanted to post this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gelomyrtol-Forte-20-Kapseln-Capsules/dp/B004281W0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388347724&sr=8-1&keywords=gelomyrtol

Gelomyrtol, good stuff! It's the go-to preparation for bronchial and nasal problems here. Completely natural, and very effective (when taken correctly).

Also, JoeBlast touched on something that I think he could have gone into more detail on. Basically, if you're breathing from the diaphragm/stomach, as you should be, then all the rest of the respiratory apparatus should be held in relaxation. Move the belly slowly, rhythmically, to draw fresh air in deeply, and expel old air thoroughly. Do not use the chest at all. Try to keep the airways open and unhindered, that's all. The point it, you don't need a wide-open nose to breath effectively, deeply, and comfortably, but you need practice.

Now the whistling ... that'd drive me crazy, too, lol. Breathe more slowly (and just blow your nose beforehand?).

Good info thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. It cleared up again and hasn't come back so far, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

• Like 1

I don't know about the pots, but when necessary I have snorted just a few drops of water through a nostril.

Until the days leading up to my event, I suffered a lifelong problem of blocked nasal passages.

I couldn't breathe through my nose at all.

They are much clearer now.

It's funny how so much emphasis is leant to the breath.

Such a simple thing, in itself.

Little finger on your left nostril, thumb on your right. Close the right nostril, let open the left. Breathe in. Then close the left with the little finger and open the right, Breathe out. Breathe in. Then close the right with the thumb. Breathe out to the left nostril. Breathe in. And repeat.

You can do this slow or fast. You will get everything out of your nose what you do not want to have inside, so be prepared for a little mess if your nose is stuffed.

This also balances the spirit. You will feel refreshed afterwards.

Happy New Year.