thelerner

Filling up the lower Dan Tien- How and Why

In considering Biochemical Signaling (jing hint), the concept also applies to Neural Circuits, the ongoing streamlining of potentials and signal to noise ratios modulate the 'awareness potential' and 'depth of stillness.'

Signal-to-noise ratio is defined as the power ratio between a signal (meaningful information) and the background noise (unwanted signal):

f0e032777062c3f945554f1c63d9c864.png

where P is average power

Consider the amplitude potential of the meditator/session/awareness/stillness also as P

We all know Ohm's Law,

7f071f258dbaa6f9a41fbcb70572c316.png

where I is the current (amplitude potential)

V is the potential difference measured across the conductor

and R is the resistance of the conductor

Simple enough - relax.

Now where anapana comes in, let's consider an expanded idea of resistance, Electrical Impedance. The key difference here being both magnitude and phase.

Consider an example of some harmonic oscillators:

QuantumHarmonicOscillatorAnimation.gif

or perhaps better,

Constructive-Interference-300x463.jpg

and it is easy to see that when things are in phase, the amplitudes constructively amplify. Relaxed and in phase? Even better! Slightly more complex case with the body and the lower dantien, breathing, etc...but it is the rote anapana where you really work this stuff out and feel where the culmination of energy potential is for a given component, then it is up to you to combine, time them all together so as to produce the greatest amplitude. Timing, timing. Refine it.

The amplitude potential one is able to muster is a function of the depth of stillness one is able to attain.

When you've put in enough gongfu, the habit-energy of the work you've done re-programs the medulla with this enhanced timing and carries forth. This calms the nerves (stills the heartmind) and reduces the amount of neural firing that takes place. Its like taking a load off the system: the function, when dropped beneath a threshold of neural stimulation, no longer derives that stream of energy from which to resonate.

All of those refinements affect the signal to noise ratio - just like dropping the flow of air beneath the threshold of turbulence in the air passageways eliminates the little vortices of air that form and rob energy from the flow of air - this also happens on the neural scale. Below the threshold, the active firing stops and the raw energy potential of the action remains unmanifest. The challenge is how to....ah, sit with unmanifest? Like the inertia of any habit-energy, the more diligent you are, the more coherent the probability potentials become, to manifest un-manifest.

Unmanifest is where its at, because then a nifty little quantum mechanical ruling applies, which came from trying to determine particle spin and various detectors:

(I'll say a=3 and b=4, only two amplitudes just to keep the example simple)

-if the events happen in sequence, multiply the amplitudes: a*b = 3x4=12

(When practicing, events not in coherence will have the lesser outcome;)

-if the events are in coherence but can be distinguished, square the multiples then add: a2+b2

=9+16=25

(In refining, one finds coherence yet events are at least partly still of the mind and thus distinguishable;)

-if the events cannot be distinguished, add before absolute squaring: |a+b|2 = |3+4|2, ^2=49

(Practice until the foreground fades away, background becomes the foreground - and certain events will start to become indistinguishable.)

From this indistinguishable, the light of ongoing focused awareness shines forth - and with that higher P first introduced above, this also correlates to the likelihood of such a state manifesting....manifesting the unmanifest, hahaha :lol:

Its nothing short of establishing the habit-energy of the ongoing enlightenment experience, if you want to extrapolate a bit.

this-is-much-more-entertaining-than-it-s

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 4

You know what's really sad? 25% of my job is proofreading unintelligible marketing jargon like this. (No, I'm not even kidding.) Thanks, Rockwell Automations!

• Like 4

You know what's really sad? 25% of my job is proofreading unintelligible marketing jargon like this. (No, I'm not even kidding.) Thanks, Rockwell Automations!

You have my sympathies. Part of my job is translating it from German to English. It affects the Weltanschauung after a while.

• Like 2

Sooooooooo I know it's not all super glamorous but gtummo and tenaga dalam are great at fillin the Dan Can. It'll do more than fill the ole can though :)

• Like 3

Does that mean just one deep breath with no exhalation....???

You tell me, Sifu!

Most people can just take one deep breath but not continuously. Those who can are considered to be performing abdominal breathing which is the ultimate method of breathing, know as Chi Kung. In your own terms, that is how one fills the Dan Tain. The "why" is to breathe in the maximum source of energy from the universe.

In Ki Aikido one of the breathing exercises was a one minute breath cycle. We'd time it to the instructors clap. He'd start relatively normally and get a little longer with each breath. Very slow and even belly breathing. We were told to sip the air as if we were gourmets.

It took me years to get it down. Not having done it lately it'd take some time before I could achieve such a long cycle nowadays. Still I'm good for 35 or 40 seconds I think. Its a very calming practice. And once you're there you can let it go and your 'natural' breathing will be much longer and deeper.

I like every audio CD I've ever gotten from SilentGrounds.com. Most are guided meditations based on Healing Tao style meditations. One that I purchased was very disappointing at first. It was just tones. 50 different tones. Half were a tones getting louder then softer for an equal amount of time. Starting at 8 - 8 cycles moving up to 45 - 45, a 90 second breath cycle. The other were 3 part breathing, starting w/ 8-8-8 and going up to 14-56-28 a nearly 2 minute breath cycle. Needless to say I can't close to those last tones, but those who can are amazing.

I've ended up really valuing the CD. Once put onto an mp3 player set to loop, you can get comfortable with a breath cycle then click it one higher.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

In Japanese, Ki Aikido is 合氣道 which is the same as 氣功(Chi Kung) in Chinese. It takes time to practice to get to one minute per breathing cycle. If you can get to 2 cycles per minute, that would be pretty good. IMO.

• Like 2

In neither Daoist neigong nor Buddhist practice, is belly breathing or even dantian breathing considered a method for storing qi in the dantian. It has another role. "Charging".

The use of hara in Old school Budo is very similar to good gongfu, and they don't "belly" breathe either, in the sense of continual expansion contraction of the belly/abdomen. It leaves one open as your power and structure is not constant.

But this is a secret, so shhhh! ; P

• Like 7

It takes time to practice to get to one minute per breathing cycle. If you can get to 2 cycles per minute, that would be pretty good. IMO.

If you never attempt beyond that which you have already mastered, you will never grow. imho 30 seconds is an absolute minimum. 1 minute and you're opening the door to look in, instead of merely peering through the keyhole.
  • Like 4

It is a fallacy if one thinks that Qi would be stored in the Dan Tien or anywhere in the body. It comes and goes. One either breaths in or out.

• Like 1

It is a fallacy if one thinks that Qi would be stored in the Dan Tien or anywhere in the body. It comes and goes. One either breaths in or out.

You should immedeately get a plane to Java and explain there to a certain Nei Kung master that he was doing it wrong all the time!!!

• Like 5

You can't store what you don't have in something you can't feel. You don't breath, you die, but what is breath, and what is dying?

• Like 2

What about the sexual rules concerning dantien cultivation?

What about them? There is no consenus on "the rules" for one. Be sensible, loss of jing doesn't only come about from ejaculation, and sex doesn't have to excesively deplete you. It isn't a black or white situation. Further to that, being a miser and holding onto the semen (semen is a type of jing, but jing is not semen), does not automatically lead to more energy in the Daodan sense. People feel more yang and they think this is good.

Having a really stressful life will deplete your jing, having sex with someone you love in a sensible fashion that shifts you out of a contracted stressful place is better for you, than the alternative, even if you ejeculate.

Best,

• Like 11

You can't store what you don't have in something you can't feel. You don't breath, you die, but what is breath, and what is dying?

That is right, it is only something that you feel is there and it was only one's imaginary description.

I am sorry. I don't understand the last part of the questions.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

What about them? There is no consenus on "the rules" for one. Be sensible, loss of jing doesn't only come about from ejaculation, and sex doesn't have to excesively deplete you. It isn't a black or white situation. Further to that, being a miser and holding onto the semen (semen is a type of jing, but jing is not semen), does not automatically lead to more energy in the Daodan sense. People feel more yang and they think this is good. Having a really stressful life will deplete your jing, having sex with someone you love in a sensible fashion that shifts you out of a contracted stressful place is better for you, than the alternative, even if you ejeculate. Best,

It is also to remember that if one believe for loosing Jing with Semen

the greater the impacts gets as it is self fullyfying affirmation.

With greater abillity to meditate the more the brain is active

and the thoughts manifestation increase beside of the energy

to do so. Negative thoughts will weight more.

One has to be more careful with what one thing and says.

• Like 3

You should immedeately get a plane to Java and explain there to a certain Nei Kung master that he was doing it wrong all the time!!!

I will not tell him that he is wrong. Perhaps, I will hand him a science book about physiology. :)

Edited by ChiDragon

Cmon CD, you're just a bit engineering minded, are you telling us there is no way to affect the flux densities of the body's energy fields?

• Like 5

Cmon CD, you're just a bit engineering minded, are you telling us there is no way to affect the flux densities of the body's energy fields?

No, I don't see it the way you want to describe it with respect to Chi. Unless otherwise, you can give me a universal definition of Chi...!!!

I will not tell him that he is wrong. Perhaps, I will hand him a science book about physiology. :)

And he give you and "electric shock".

• Like 1

And he give you and "electric shock".

That I do believe an electric shock is from an electrical charge. However, it still doesn't tell me which is from the so-call the "Chi stored in the Dan Tien".

Edited by ChiDragon

That I do believe an electric shock is from an electrical charge. However, it still doesn't tell me which is from the so-call the "Chi stored in the Dan Tien".

So he will tell you procduce the electric shock by Chi stored in the Dantien.

So he will tell you procduce the electric shock by Chi stored in the Dantien.

Dude, cummon...you know its just static. Have you not seen the carpets in his house! The real secret is in the walk ; p

• Like 4

Don't mean to derail, but maybe some of you very knowledgeable people can take a quick peek at this thread, and maybe give me some quick advice?

Thank you :)

So I had huge energy sickness all night

I read it, not sure what you want to hear. I know you feel you had a kundalini awakening 30 years ago. These days lots of people appear to feel they have, or had. I'd honestly re-read your own older thread...

http://thetaobums.com/topic/30811-pranotthana-or-kundalini/

One of my great-grand teachers had healed himself and experienced remarkable things. Later in life under the guidance of another teacher he opened his central channel muvh to his surprise, since he had opened it many decades ago, yet this was even deeper an experience. As my teacher reminds us, there are always higher/deeper levels.

Best,

• Like 7