Tibetan_Ice

Remains of vajrayana buddhism in Tibet

Just watched it. Absolutely brilliant documentary. If only the Chinese government hadn't invaded in the 50's. Imagine all the places and people we would have had. A great shame indeed.

As it said in the film, there is still a large 'power field' in parts of Tibet.

Tibetan Buddhist's always seem very happy, content, joyful and are very healthy, vigorous, strong and full of life. They have a warm glow, keen eyes and radiant complexion.

Compare that with the Theravadin's that I first learned meditation from. Weak, thin, pale, and unhealthy looking. I decided that path wasn't for me.

If I was to follow a Tibetan path, how far could it take me, as a man with many commitments and attachments ?

I've already started with a mantra meditation practice but I'd love to immerse myself more. Obviously I'd need a teacher.

Locally I've found 2 Kadampa centres and a Diamond Way centre. Not sure if any of these are suitable. Maybe someone with a bit of experience could advise me.

Best wishes.

Compare that with the Theravadin's that I first learned meditation from. Weak, thin, pale, and unhealthy looking. I decided that path wasn't for me.

Did you learn from westerner theravadins?

Locally I've found 2 Kadampa centres and a Diamond Way centre. Not sure if any of these are suitable. Maybe someone with a bit of experience could advise me.

I would stay away from the new kadampa because they fight against H. H. the Dalai Lama.

Edited by DAO rain TAO

Yes, but trained classically in Thailand.

Then, the comparison is a bit unfair imho.

If you look at the theravadin monks of thailand who dwell in the forest, I'm sure you'll find the same happiness, contentment and joy as in the Lachi retreat on the Himalayas. :)

• Like 1

Then, the comparison is a bit unfair imho.

If you look at the theravadin monks of thailand who dwell in the forest, I'm sure you'll find the same happiness, contentment and joy as in the Lachi retreat on the Himalayas. :)

Maybe so, but they don't look as healthy. The theravadins place less emphasis on the body and exercise than the Tibetans, and as a consequence, look frail and weakly.

The theravadins place less emphasis on the body and exercise than the Tibetans, and as a consequence, look frail and weakly.

I'm not sure...doesn't Theravada have walking meditation? Whereas I'm not sure Tibetan Buddhism has any exercise at all aside from prostrations (which are not necessarily continued after a certain number, but should be).

Edited by turtle shell

Tibetan Buddhism (and Bon) does include several forms of physical (and breathing) exercises, including Trul Khor (aka Yantra Yoga), Kum Nye, and Lujong (there may be others as well). I get the impression that these are more commonly practiced in the Nyingma and Kagyu schools and less in the Gelug school.

Also, I believe that the Theravadins are strictly vegan, while the Tibetans (including HH) may eat meat and other animal products.

You're most welcome.

You can learn a lot from comic books.

This comic book is just an illustrated story though.

The website is very good nonetheless.

Look, I'm here to learn and to share and I don't want to get into arguments as to whether a practice is right or wrong.

I've done plenty of that previously and I think it's time for me to try and orchestrate a change within me.

I'd like to stand back and view all sides of any discussion.

Best wishes.

I've looked into this and have found that there seems to be a bit of religious suppression going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorje_Shugden_controversy

There is no religious suppression.

Dorje Shugden is a nonenlightened gyalpo protector of the Gelugpa (with no Indian precedent) that was elevated to the status of a Buddha, during the 1900's by one deviant lama. This change is also reflected in the artwork.

The current Dalai Lama said that elevation was wrong. He is free to do that, since he is the head monk of the very same school, the Gelugpa. To accuse Dalai Lama of religious suppression is nonsensical, since Dorje Shugen is his own school's peculiar entity.

The Chinese now fuel Dorje Shugen activity out of spite.

Lastly, the other schools are in complete agreement that Shugden is negative, including Dudjom Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse, Sakya Trizin, the Karmapas etc. The other schools always viewed Shugden as negative even before the promotion of Shugden as a Buddha.

Edited by RongzomFan
  • Like 2

Best wishes.

Diamond Way is fine.

Avoid Kadampa.

• Like 1

Thanks RongzomFan for your clarification of those points.

Like I've said previously, it's better to have advice from folks experienced in such things.