[New Member]

Hello everyone here at TheTaoBums.com,

I've been very interested in QiGong, Tai Chi, and the Taoist arts for several years now, and as I enter my 20th year of life, I've decided to become more serious in my practice. Any help, tips, and/or guidance from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Last night I spent a couple of hours debating with my father about the existance of Qi. He's a very strong Catholic, so the idea of Qi sounds like mystic mumbo-jumbo to him, though anyone who can belive in something as mystical as GOD shouldn't be putting off the idea of Qi just because it sounds like a mysterious force. I'm hoping to one day be able to prove to him that Qi is real and can be expirienced, but that's not why I'm studying. I study Taoism as a way to better myself, and increase my health which has over the years been very erratic, and so I hope to find a way to stablize and strengthen it and prehaps teach my friends a little about it also that they may benefit from it as well.

I look forward to learning a lot from this site and everyone on it and if I can be of any help to anyone(which at my present level, I don't see happening) I will humbly offer what I can.

I look forward to learning a lot from this site and everyone on it and if I can be of any help to anyone(which at my present level, I don't see happening) I will humbly offer what I can.

Welcome, you six digit number, you!

Don't worry about levels - get stuck in! I'm twice your age and haven't worked out how to get the lift doors open yet! :rolleyes:

Peace,

ZenB

There's some suggestive biblical references to Qi:

Ruach - The Spirit of God

The Catholic Creed recited at every Mass states that God created things 'seen and unseen', so qigong is merely working with the unseen. :)

Edited by rex

Many in my family are fundamental Christian, I was raised fundamental Christian - so I understand your position.

When faced with something like you mention with your father, try being 100% accepting. Don't try to explain qi or taoism.

Do your own practice, do it rightly with compassion, do it well.

Eventually they will see the goodness you are manifesting, and coming to you from your "strange" way. They will ask in time. When they ask they will be ready to hear more than when you tell.

Actions speak louder than words.

Welcome.

Edited by beancurdturtle

Welcome, you six digit number, you!

Don't worry about levels - get stuck in! I'm twice your age and haven't worked out how to get the lift doors open yet! :rolleyes:

Peace,

ZenB

Hehe, the number is actually l33t-speak for "TAOIST"

7 = T

4 = A

0 = O

1 = I

5 = S

7 = T

But yeah, I look forward to learning so much from this site. :)

There's some suggestive biblical references to Qi:

Ruach - The Spirit of God

The Catholic Creed recited at every Mass states that God created things 'seen and unseen', so qigong is merely working with the unseen. :)

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I'm also a Catholic at heart. I personally don't see anyreason to disbelieve Qi ... and if the Church itself actually stated that Catholics CAN'T believe in it, I would write the Pope myself explaining that Qi is no "supernatural power", but a part of life as much so as the elements on the periodic table of elements are.

Thanks for the response. :D

Many in my family are fundamental Christian, I was raised fundamental Christian - so I understand your position.

When faced with something like you mention with your father, try being 100% accepting. Don't try to explain qi or taoism.

Do your own practice, do it rightly with compassion, do it well.

Eventually they will see the goodness you are manifesting, and coming to you from your "strange" way. They will ask in time. When they ask they will be ready to hear more than when you tell.

Actions speak louder than words.

Welcome.

Thank-you kindly for your wisdom. :)