adept

Reading The Intentions Of Others

Hello folks. Happy holidays to you all.

I feel a bit daft posting this but I've never spoke to anyone apart from my wife about this before.
As long as I can remember, probably going back to my childhood (40 + years), I've been able to know what people are thinking (not word for word but in general), what their intentions are, and the course of action they're likely to follow. All this is sometimes through eye contact only. Other times I don't even need eye contact, it's a feeling. It's usually a first encounter with someone which sets the tone. I immediately know, and feel the energy coming from them. It's either positive, or in most cases, negative. Never neutral. In nearly every case I'm spot on with my observations.
This has made me very skeptical as I find a lot of the human race extremely non-trustworthy. Whereas most people would give someone the benefit of doubt, I do not, and cannot because I can feel what the person is thinking or planning to do.
I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse to be honest because the bad seems to outweigh the good at a ratio of 10:1.
The thing is, I feel I should be doing something with this ability, if it can be called that, but I don't know what or who to speak to about this.
If there's anyone who can offer some advice I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

• Like 3

I think this is actually pretty common. Nothing to get up in arms about. Use it to your advantage in your everyday affairs. I tend to agree that not many people are trustworthy.....you can't trust someone who's ego has a tight grip on their personality.....when push comes to shove they will likely betray you over petty things.....but still don't make a big deal out of this. Endeavor to accept everyone at where they are and at the same time choose your company and close friends wisely.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

if i was thus gifted, i would use it on myself to reach buddhahood in the fastest way.

• Like 1

I feel a bit daft posting this but I've never spoke to anyone apart from my wife about this before.

As long as I can remember, probably going back to my childhood (40 + years), I've been able to know what people are thinking (not word for word but in general), what their intentions are, and the course of action they're likely to follow. All this is sometimes through eye contact only. Other times I don't even need eye contact, it's a feeling. It's usually a first encounter with someone which sets the tone. I immediately know, and feel the energy coming from them. It's either positive, or in most cases, negative. Never neutral. In nearly every case I'm spot on with my observations.

This has made me very skeptical as I find a lot of the human race extremely non-trustworthy. Whereas most people would give someone the benefit of doubt, I do not, and cannot because I can feel what the person is thinking or planning to do.

I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse to be honest because the bad seems to outweigh the good at a ratio of 10:1.

The thing is, I feel I should be doing something with this ability, if it can be called that, but I don't know what or who to speak to about this.

Thanks

It's really handy for avoiding being scammed by others ;).

Even better, it's a really handy thing in a healing practice.

Also you will likely find if you explore it a bit you have other things which you can perceive about others, as well as about yourself.

• Like 3

Can you know the source of what makes 90% of people feel negative? You cannot say 90% of people have harmful intention. What is it that you are reading?

if i was thus gifted, i would use it on myself to reach buddhahood in the fastest way.

I would but I lack compassion. It's one of my faults.

If there was such a way, I would definitely give it a try. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by adept

Can you know the source of what makes 90% of people feel negative? You cannot say 90% of people have harmful intention. What is it that you are reading?

I have witnessed it time and time again. The majority of people are out to get whatever they can get, whether that be wealth, possessions, power, sex, and don't care what they do, or who they harm to get it. The intent behind such people is sinister and cold. I see, hear, smell, feel and sense it everywhere. It seems to be more common now than it was 20-30 years ago.

Hi CT

I just found this :

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=6616

which ties in with my recent suggestion I had for a mantra practice, even though I wasn't looking for a Buddhist mantra.

More synchronicity ! :)

Thats really wonderful, Adept.

The Mani is truly all-encompassing. It contains the essence of the entire Buddhist path, according to Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. In his book 'The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones', which was recommended by one of the posters in the above DW link, Rinpoche goes to great lengths to delve into the intricacies of this particular mantra with very practical application guidelines. Its a classic commentary, and i would recommend it highly.

• Like 1

Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty good at reading people as well, in the sense that I get strong impressions from people. Well, I don't get strong impressions from all people.

Sometimes I feel very strongly that someone is a good person.

Sometimes I feel very strongly that someone is a person to stay away from.

And then sometimes I don't feel very strongly one way or the other.

I think the suggestion to apply it to yourself is a good one. Feel out when various life paths are "good" for you or "paths to avoid." For me, a big part of this was also learning how to not care about social judgment. Do what you feel is best for you. Sometimes people laugh at you, or ask you why you do or not do something. And you don't really have any way to tell them other than "a feeling." Then they just laugh at you more. But I kind of had to get over it.

Then there are the purely internal blocks. Where you laugh at/doubt yourself. But then when you doubt your doubt, do you return to the original thought? Everyone says "trust your gut" but as soon as you start to mentally analyze your feeling, you've already lost the feeling! It's very hard to act genuinely in the moment or along with the feeling every time. But that's part of the practice.

And yeah, use it for self betterment, the betterment of others.

Also the suggestion about figuring out where the negativity was coming from. In my case, there are a few types of people that I just *can't* stand no matter what. At certain points in my life, I have met people at various stages of becoming the types of people I can't stand. Since I understand how those people got to be that way, I started to have sympathy for those types of people.

Not for all, there are a few types of people I just can't stand absolutely no way no how. I don't try to force myself to like those people or feel compassion. But I'm sure that at some point in my development I will come to understand and have compassion for them. Just not right now :)

Maybe you should go to Vegas and become a high stakes professional gambler

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 2

I have witnessed it time and time again. The majority of people are out to get whatever they can get, whether that be wealth, possessions, power, sex, and don't care what they do, or who they harm to get it. The intent behind such people is sinister and cold. I see, hear, smell, feel and sense it everywhere. It seems to be more common now than it was 20-30 years ago.

You had not previously realised that ? ... or are you just stating that here? Also I imagine it depends, partially, on the 'through whom you travel' * ( try walking through the Supreme Court ... bleeerck ! - Rushes home for 'auric shower' )

Humans, like most animals, are creatures of opportunity. If anything 'rules' or indeed 'orders' 'evolution' - it is 'necessity'.

I go to the nearby town and yes, the people there exude that , but it has a good feeling to me; out to get what they can get , it seems expressed in a fair sort of way ... it seems 'natural'. But if I go to the next larger town the main theme (within this aura of self-preservation) is this really false persona being extended. It had (still has ??) the rep of being a 'cool, alternative or even 'spiritual' place. So of course, being their and parading around and playing dress-ups is just going to make one spiritual isn't it ?

For some reason this urks me more than 'honest self-preservation'.

Some are out to get what they can get ( praise, followers, fellow followers to affirm their beliefs? ).... by extolling some 'spiritual' virtue and practice; some are 'seeking' ... genuine, or seeking some type of affirmation of their mindsets. And sprinkled through that are some real jems .... to them I am instantly attracted ... they have a certain vibe, body language and yes, smell, and then you see it in their eyes ... yet many are attracted to the external glamour ... more and more people are considering glamour (in the modern and ancient usage) important.

So Adept, I am sympathetic ... but not as surprised or despondent < shrugs ... mmmhe > but perhaps more cynical. I think it IS increasing and I blame the rise in and focus upon that modern day very socially unhealthy and ever growing concept of 'economic rationalism'.

* ' Through whom you travel' - the energy field of those around you ... sometimes I feel need to do it with intent ... thank goodness for all that type of jiyu-waza training I did - move from one corner of the mats to the opposite corner with a bunch of guys in the middle trying to stop you and project, grab, hold etc. ... the aim is, well executed technique, smooth and flowing, minimal effort, least possible 'distraction' to get to the other end, and minimal ' injury' and disruption to the others.

[ 4th Dan examination ! ? :blink: ] They seem to be seeking some other dynamic here ??? Aside from some obvious 'examination dynamic' going on here (???) - like the guy becoming instantly cornered in the first few seconds ... there are a few moments where he 'glides through' quiet good. It is also good practice for sword work (if one can shift ma'ai ) ... but one cant really walk through town carrying bokkan and bonk people ....( although I wouldn't be surprised if some started dressing up as samurai or ninja :D )

I never was bothered by bad dreams

They never made me afraid

But then I never did dream I'd wake up

And find me in the freak parade.

I guess I had to find out the hard way

I shouldn't have been so proud

'Cause here I'm the main attraction

Of every giggle in the crowd.

So I gotta

Take my place in the freak parade

See my face in the freak parade.

In a world full of freaks

You can creep, you can crawl

But the world's biggest freak

Is the one with no balls.

You know you shouldn't poke fun at strangers

Or pity their case at all

'Cause there are lots of friends and lovers

That take it kind of personal.

You might appreciate our position

Don't laugh at our freaky ways

You might find yourself tomorrow

Marching in the freak parade.

You better

Take your place in the freak parade

See your face in the freak parade

Get off the sidewalk! "

Freak Parade by Todd Rundgren.

"

Edited by Nungali

You could research Yuen Method which relies on insight based on not thinking. Not necessary to have eye contact.

In Yuen speak what you feel are people's energetic weaknesses or blockages in another word.

You can use it on yourself and others to make corrections by using your intent to do so.

Basically you can just think of an issue and then make the correction.

A version of this is to think of the issue, connect to "your Higher Self" and hold the intent until you feel it is enough.

This way you can access deeply seated karma, anger greed etc. Basically everything, although brain training I would also recommend for changing the wiring and patterns in it.

You could research Yuen Method which relies on insight based on not thinking. Not necessary to have eye contact.

In Yuen speak what you feel are people's energetic weaknesses or blockages in another word.

You can use it on yourself and others to make corrections by using your intent to do so.

Basically you can just think of an issue and then make the correction.

A version of this is to think of the issue, connect to "your Higher Self" and hold the intent until you feel it is enough.

This way you can access deeply seated karma, anger greed etc. Basically everything, although brain training I would also recommend for changing the wiring and patterns in it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What about Kunlun ? Just letting myself go and let the energy do it's work.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/17505-kunlun-book/?p=509705

Kunlun is a strong practice.

Why not ask an oracle, I-Ching or Tarot, to see if it is the right practice for you at this point?

Kunlun is a strong practice.

Why not ask an oracle, I-Ching or Tarot, to see if it is the right practice for you at this point?

Well, I suppose I could. I know a couple of psychic/mediums who could probably do a reading for me.

However, I do like to follow my own whims and see where they take me. If a practice isn't right for me, I'll know within a short time. Kunlun does seem to work though. To what extent, only time will tell.

I do have another new practice with mantra which I'm pursuing.

I'm ready to cleanse myself, in body, mind and spirit. A full purge. :)

Mantra meditation can easily take you into profound states of consiousness.

Just let the mantra do the work.

Good luck! :)

• Like 2

Thanks

Why complicate the clarity of this insight with judgement or fears?

To give witness without attachment to the manipulations of others is to be without sway inside of yourself.

To be in this simplicity is to have peace.

• Like 4

Thanks

Hi Adept. Your post is very interesting. I'm sure the experience you described is something that only YOU can fully understand. When it comes to knowing what to do and how to cope with a thing, whether good or bad, it's something that only the individual who's experiencing it can really know. In other words, don't look to others for answers. Rather, get still and quiet, and listen to your own heart and soul. That's my opinion.

I do have one huge thing to say about this though. And let me stress the word "huge," because this is something that could change your entire way of looking at everything, and also your interpretation of the experience you've described.

It's that, ultimately, love is all there really is, and good-will is the only will there is. In other words, everyone has ONLY "good intentions".....the rest is only ILLUSION.

If you look deeply, you can see the love, the good intention, the PERFECTION, of people's behavior.

This can be done by first having FAITH in the perfection of everything, and in the fact that ALL behavior and thought is born of love, and then making an effort to see the GOOD that comes from the behavior or thoughts, (or feelings, beliefs, etc.).

In other words, try to see some good in everything, and know that the good you see was, on a deeper level of their being, part of the person's intention (will).

I hope this helps.

• Like 1