Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A fascinatingly disturbing thought

He made good sense until he mentioned "runaway greenhouse effect" on Venus. Its hot there because its a pressure cooker, the temp where altitude=1 atm isnt all that different from Earth's (ya know, 31 miles up into the atmosphere.) 93 bar at the surface. Earth? 1.014 bar. You're smarter than that, Neil - to use such a line of reasoning is intellectually dishonest.

Why pay lip service to a meme so you can ostensibly dig in the sand to hopefully get a little gravy flowing your way? Just lost a bunch of respect for the guy.

The 1% smarter thing, well...arent we sorta "growing" that?

• Like 1

We're probably about as smart as anything needs to be, considering that only passing the threshold of a chimp just an evolutionary blink back, and we're already mastering much of the physical factors which would drive evolutionary development.. entering into an era of cultural development rather than physical.

So I find it equally plausible that we might find the aliens to be similar in mental development, or even degenerated into a technologically cradled Morlock.

But I like Neil, he wants to popularize science , and I dont feel his shortcut is a major transgression of the facts.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this