ShifuC

Hello and a question

Hello all,

I am a licensed acupuncturist, herbalsit, tuina guy and teacher of all sorts of Chinese philosophy and martial arts. My website is www.bluelotushealth.com

I also run www.theshaolinacademy.org and I make it my mission to spread Taoist teachings.

I also suck at Go, if that interests anyone. I collect Taoist texts into a goodly-sized library, still building it but I'm pretty happy with it. Have all the major military and confucian classics in there and whatnot as well.

I also run the Facebook group Complete Reality Taoist (Quanzhen): https://www.facebook.com/groups/627187733987952/

The goal in there is to establish some foundations for people using source texts (translated though they are)
-----------------
OK, enough about me, I have a query. I am busy reading the Cleary text, Opening the Dragon-Gate. I then wiki'd Master Wang Liping, found out he has an academy, and people go out there.
I checked some of the websites, but many things do not appear updated and also the sites are rather amateurish.
So my question is has anyone here been or know someone who has been to the Laozi Academy? Anyone get accredited seriously?
How does it compare with Master Jerry Alan Johnson's program? Being from KY, I have a hard time finding a master to complete my training. As a martial artist I believe in application, and use I Ching and Qi gogn and Neidan, but as many of you know there is a limit to self-guidance. However, there jsut ain't a lot of Taoist Masters laying hidden around here. There is a hidden Zen Temple, but it's been pretty hard to get the Furnace MTN people to open up, and I am not sure they are doing the correct sitting or just sitting, know what I mean?

So a little help, and some wisdom from those who have seen, been, known, even some honest hearsay would be helpful.

I appreciate it, and though I won't be a huge contributor to this board ( I run 2 clinics, teach, and have kids! plus the studying), I look forward to getting to know the people on here, and helpign to illuminate TCM theory where I can.
Sincerely,
Shifu Careaga, C.Ac., MSTOM, 3rd Black

Hello and welcome ShifuC.

You will find no shortage of advice on this forum regarding both Jerry Alan Johnson and Wang Liping. However the Lobby is not the best place to post your question as it is really for introductions only. You will find that you are now free to post in the main forum sections and if you post your questions in the Taoist Discussion section then you will find no shortage of response.

Before you get started on that please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of the Lobby and take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.com/topic/19575-forum-terms-rules/ This is a pretty easy going forum and this will cover all that you need be aware of to get started.

Good luck, best wishes and Merry Christmas,

Chang

Well I found the Wang Liping stuff but not really the exact answer. I will do a search of JaJ soon.

No need to cite the rulebook I have been on forums for about 25 years. I don't conform anywhere I go. If you need to remove something just do it, I don't mind either way.

Chang is the Lobby concierge, he writes something similar to most members.

Welcome to the tao bums. People were just discussing a Jerry Johnson seminar and we've had discussions in the past about Master Liping. Hopefullly you can find someone with experience with both.

Hmnn, there's probably a good joke to be made about Mr. Johnson and Master Wang going into a massage parlor.

• Like 3

Chang is the Lobby concierge, he writes something similar to most members.

Welcome to the tao bums. People were just discussing a Jerry Johnson seminar and we've had discussions in the past about Master Liping. Hopefullly you can find someone with experience with both.

Hmnn, there's probably a good joke to be made about Mr. Johnson and Master Wang going into a massage parlor.

Well, TBH, my goal is to become accredited. Any help in that direction is help at all. My intention is to start a Taoist/TCM academy here in the Bluegrass, but I figure I need something to "prove" my training, which is annoying but after all, that is how Americans think. I would also like to have a real master, though I am not dying to find someone to give a lot of money to to do it. I don't mind paying, though, if the training is real and helpful.

As far as I can tell JaJ's program is real. However, since I have a positive view on him, I am wary to not lose such a view in some kind of shocking/disappointing manner. If that was bound to happen I think I would just rather enjoy the digital Master's videos and the books.

I've found a surprising amount of gurus to have not performed the work required to tame the Human Mentality. When that happens sometimes you lose mentors. Which sucks.

I read the thread on here, and it doesn't endear me to go out and meet him, and yet I really do think highly of him. So I am a bit stuck in that vein.

That's why the Wang Liping option interested me. But now I see many people think it was overpriced. It would be fine to just do the real training in his system using the book. Then all you do is get the certification or w/e but really you do the training. If Master Liping's courses are awesome though, then that is different.

I am sure the right way to "thread the needle" will arise. Until then, I'll still be studying and training. But I really do want to become accredited though.

It may be as the recent Tibetan/aboriginal shaman said to me though when I asked about becoming a wizard... that I would need to study other systems first before returning to the Mao-shan Thunder Magic traditions and Pole Star rituals.

Well at any rate, just thinking aloud here, pay me no never mind.

everybody is a $ifu these days :ph34r:

It also means doctor in Chinese. ;) And barber too, but we'll pay no attention to that :glare:

Sometimes discusssions get a little heated here, particularly with high level, controversial teachers, but don't let that stop you. Don't hesitate to create new threads asking for the information you want. Likewise feel free to P(rivate) M(essage) people here who might have insights and real world experience.

• Like 1

It also means doctor in Chinese. ;) And barber too, but we'll pay no attention to that :glare:

It also means "con artist" and that is something people need to pay attention to.

Obviously not labeling anyone- but there seem to be sifus everywhere these days.

<sarcasm> Kundalini awakening happening to everyone too! </sarcasm>

Hopefully you are the real deal.

Time reveals all.

Looking forward to seeing your posts :)

• Like 1

'Like most things, I am nothing.'

I cannot convince anyone i am not a con artist. In the Zhuangzi it is made clear we are all thieves - and hypocrites. We use ego-substance to breed, economize, and especially to propagate reputation.

Sf. In my case is for doctor, but do i practice the real TCM? Do i practice the real herbalism? What is real meaning? Am i a real Taoist?

Perhaps saying i am a con artist makes me real... and perhaps it is a conscious ploy to make you agree i am not and am in fact humble. I cannot convince you of either of these either.

Don't put judgment upon me, i am 'baka'. Judge for yourself if i am real. I mean your subconscious projected me into your forum after all :-) You cannot say anyone else here is real.... let alone this one foolish former icchantika!

Btw i am having fun already. What heated debates? No egoes are hot enough to count as hot! Let us, if we spend Jing on debate, enjoy the peaceful wars we wage to assuange the anguishes of our lack of pathos in an imbalanced society, and not take anything personally. Imo.

• Like 3

A wise man may play a fool well, but a fool has a hard time playing wise.

So, no worries are warranted among the wise or foolish

for the wise recognize their own , give the benefit of a doubt to the fool, and a fool cant tell the difference anyway. :)

• Like 3

What are the five gentlemanly subjects? ..Ive never heard of it..them.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Well with all the talk of fools I couldn't help but recall the greatest quote on foolery from the king of 'em :)

5 Gentlemanly subjects or arts, or studies I am sure you have:
1) Martial Arts (sometimes not this but just art)

2) Music

3) Medicine

4) Calligraphy (I take this to mean writing in general)

5) Poetry (I again take this to mean reading)

Really, whatever refines the person into a gentleman is "superior". I don't think watching football counts, but I've been wrong before :)

• Like 1