Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

What Qigong style is it?

Dear Ones,

before I want to go deeper in Qigong traditions I want to do a little research on this field. Since I have come across a few styles that are popular in the West, I am most interested in the most ancient and genuine form, that has not been altered through generations. Many styles are today simplified to bring the general surface knowledge to a wide audience.

Personally I am not interested in any forms that involve fighting mechanics. From the start I consciously want to develop holistic movements that serve my own health and spiritual growth but ultimatelly to reflect them for healing and enlightenment on to others around me. No motions that create conflict or have the intention to cause harm.

I came up with this topic, because my first lessons in Qigong were from Dr.Yang who teaches mostly Yang styles and encourages individuals to have a natural sense of enemy. Which is not what I want.

What styles come into question?

I am most interested in the most ancient and genuine form, that has not been altered through generations.

It would be like searching for the gold at the end of a rainbow.

Throughout history, all forms have been altered to suit the needs of the practitioner.

Also there will be variations based on locality, family, tribe etc.

Just find a style which is health orientated and has a long history.

Baduanjin, or 8 Brocades as it is also known, would be a good style to immerse yourself in.

Best wishes

• Like 2

I highly recommend 'Soaring Crane' which I am practicing. The practice emphasizes major points as well as how to circulate the MCO with movement. The well known practice of 'Chi-Lel' is an offshoot of 'Soaring Crane' and was never well taught, in my opinion.

Buy the manual as well as the DVD's.

http://qi.org/index.php?option=com_ezcatalog&task=viewcategory&id=1&Itemid=41

• Like 3

I highly recommend 'Soaring Crane' which I am practicing. The practice emphasizes major points as well as how to circulate the MCO with movement. The well known practice of 'Chi-Lel' is an offshoot of 'Soaring Crane' and was never well taught, in my opinion.

http://qi.org/index.php?option=com_ezcatalog&task=viewcategory&id=1&Itemid=41

I have seen the Soaring Crane before in a book as one of the first Qigong Books I read

and it is different than the "Lifting Qi and Pouring Qi down" in the Zhineng Qigong,

which I first hand use to to open up the body below and above which is stronger focus

on this opening than in the Soaring Crane which do different things and there are

also part for specific health issues in this Crane Qigong,

but well it is nearly 20 years now - cant remember well the Soaring Crane.

qigong, like language, adapts to its user.

all things change.

find what resonates with you and dive in!

On it! :)

Anyone interested in other forms, see here.

Purely from my half-egoic perspective Hua Shan 36 Spherical Qigong sounds very interesting. Also Pan Gu Qigong

I seek the one that encourages the most intuitive, but like mentioned .. it sooner or later will evolve into intuitive movements. But we gotta start somewhere!

Edited by 4bsolute

For the interest of the OP, regardless of what style of Qigong, learn how to breathe properly first.

Some styles neglect the breath.

• Like 1

On it! :)

Anyone interested in other forms, see here.

Purely from my half-egoic perspective Hua Shan 36 Spherical Qigong sounds very interesting. Also Pan Gu Qigong

I seek the one that encourages the most intuitive, but like mentioned .. it sooner or later will evolve into intuitive movements. But we gotta start somewhere!

Learning how to move the energy is the primary reason behind qigong. That is why I recommended 'Soaring Crane'. To start off with certain assumptions as you have, usually leads nowhere.

I would also include that relaxing the body/mind is of vital importance.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Since I have come across a few styles that are popular in the West, I am most interested in the most ancient and genuine form, that has not been altered through generations. Many styles are today simplified to bring the general surface knowledge to a wide audience.

I was taught a system that is about 3800 years old, and was until recently secret and is still essentially unknown outside of a small handful of people. Tien Shan Chi kung. A completely unsimplified system, in fact it's the opposite, containing what's called the ten thousand techniques and takes over a decade to learn, meaning it's absolutely unsuited to the modern mind. It is a martial type nei kung; internal alchemy, and includes, spiritual path of the warrior, exercise system for martial artists, path of the wizard, path of the healer.

• Like 2

What is it then?

Chi will follow the breath. When I first learned qigong, the teachers never taught that but I knew that the breath was necessary for the proper flow of chi. I just felt it.

• Like 1

Chi will follow the breath. When I first learned qigong, the teachers never taught that but I knew that the breath was necessary for the proper flow of chi. I just felt it

Oh sorry Ralis to involve you to answer,

I asked "Chidragon",

Ralis :"Some styles neglect the breath."

ChiDragon: "Then, that is not Qigong at all."

Friend:"What is it then?" or "How to call that Style then?"

Oh sorry Ralis to involve you to answer,

I asked "Chidragon",

Ralis :"Some styles neglect the breath."

ChiDragon: "Then, that is not Qigong at all."

Friend:"What is it then?" or "How to call that Style then?"

I had many posts here in the forum about Chi Kung. I don't think there is a need for me to answer that again. However, I will say it again. Chi Kung is the ultimate method of breathing which is known as Tuna (吐吶). So far, no one has a full understand of what it is. If one does, then one will know what is Chi Kung exactly.

Edited by ChiDragon

I had many posts here in the forum about Chi Kung. I don't think there is a need for me to answer that again. However, I will say it again. Chi Kung is the ultimate method of breathing which is known as Tuna (吐吶). So far, no one has a full understand of what it is. If one does, then one will know what is Chi Kung exactly.

Ok then change the rest to 能量 - Energy Work - Neng Liang Gong.

Today we called Neng Liang Gong instead of Qi gong

and change "氣功" to "空气功". Air Work.

There's an excellent DVD available in German from the Deutsche Qigong Gesellschaft, and it's, ahem, a form I'm somewhat familiar with :-)

It's very common in Germany (the op is German), one of the most widely-known form. But it's a new form. He was asking for old daoist practices.

Anyway, How's your experience so far? Maybe we should start a thread specifically for Soaring Crane :-D

• Like 1

Ok then change the rest to 能量 - Energy Work - Neng Liang Gong.

Today we called Neng Liang Gong instead of Qi gong

and change "氣功" to "空气功". Air Work.

能量 is produced from the result of breathing. Without breathing, there is no 能量.

"空气功". Air Work. Call it that is you want. However, air is coming breathing. Thus no breathing then there is no air.

"氣功" is "breathing" gong.

Everything leads to "breathing" in the human body.

Edited by ChiDragon

The thing that many overlook is the availability of teachers for the forms.

Fan Huan Gong is probably unknown outside of Germany (and China) yet it's a comprehensive system that truly covers all aspects of the most advanced qigongs out there. It's readily available to the OP. There's a 'pretty good' DVD available (I recorded the background music for it with my singing bowls and gongs, but on the whole I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars), and there are 'friends of fanhuangong' meetings a few times a year. Some of the teachers in the circle are really top notch.

For the op, it remains my top recommendation...

The thing that many overlook is the availability of teachers for the forms.

Fan Huan Gong is probably unknown outside of Germany (and China) yet it's a comprehensive system that truly covers all aspects of the most advanced qigongs out there. It's readily available to the OP. There's a 'pretty good' DVD available (I recorded the background music for it with my singing bowls and gongs, but on the whole I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars), and there are 'friends of fanhuangong' meetings a few times a year. Some of the teachers in the circle are really top notch.

For the op, it remains my top recommendation...

Can you tell us Soaring Crane

(I am the only one who feels odd that you

carry the Name of the Qigong Ralis mentioned :huh: ?)

"What are the aspects of the most advanced Qigongs?"

For the other readers:

A short what Fan Huan Gong - 返還功 - Return (to) Source Work.

It is a DaoYin with 8 Movements and is

said to be a Set of Movements practised by Quanzhen.

Also it is Heart to Heart transmission method.

So a visit for a teacher is needed to receive a transmission.

You may add information you think are important Soaring Crane.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this