adept

Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Thanks for the recommendation - at this point I'm not really studying or reading much, mainly practicing and reading things that are a direct support to the practice.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/33399-the-experience-of-sunyata-or-insubstantiality/?p=516754 - You'll like this post.

Is this the forum you are referring to?

http://forumdzogchen.forumactif.com

I speak a little French but I'm not fluent by a long shot.

Yup.

I will need more time to read it properly but I followed your link and came across this from HE Garchen Rinpoche which I like -

Q. Milarepa is said to have achieved liberation in one lifetime primarily through the
practices of Tummo and Mahamudra. Is it possible to engage in these practices
seriously and in depth if one cannot do extensive retreat, such as 3
year retreat? What would Rinpoche recommend for a lay practitioner with minimal job commitments but
with family obligations that make it difficult to do extensive retreat on these practices?
What commitment is required to follow Milarepa's path?
GR: Whether you have a family life, work, or are in retreat, you must practice the 37
Bodhisattva Practices. If you maintain awareness during all worldly activities, they
will become a practice of the six paramitas. Remain inseparable from compassion,
and in particular, practice patience. If you are able to do that, there is no need to put
your body through hardships. These days we cannot endure the hardships Milarepa
endured, but we can train our minds nevertheless. If you make an effort to practice,
it will lead to enlightenment, either in the first, second, or third bardo or within
several lifetimes. It is most important to cultivate a wish to help others.
If you cannot generate an altruistic mind, even extensive retreat will be of not much benefit.
Conversely, if you do cultivate an altruistic mind and patience, even
engaging in mundane activities will become dharma practice. Longchen Rabjam said:
"When mental arisings settle in their natural state, there is no need to abandon samsara.
"When emotions and thoughts are rendered powerless, there is no need to
abandon the mundane world. When the cause of enlightenment is practiced, it will
result in enlightenment, even if one does not isolate one's body from the mundane

world.

• Like 3

Indeed, that's why I watch out for mutsuk's posts on dharmawheel and vajracaka; her posts are always informative.

I think you should be more careful who you listen to.

In the dharma world what is of paramount importance is to judge people on individual basis and not based on their afiliations or friendships .

If their thinking is in line with that of reputable people or sources but their actions are the opposite this can only mean that they are parroting what someone else has said .Personally i do not want to listen,read or engage someone , no matter how informative if they are abusive, disrespectful, to vajra brothers and sisters and who at the smallest occasion they jump onto those who know less and abuse them like there is no tomorrow.

What is sad and somewhat difficult to comprehend is that Malcolm and others of his calibre are tolerating her abusive behaviour.Maybe because she is a scholar and she "knows stuff" ?

I couldn't give a flying fuck about what "she knows" as long as she is disrespectful , abusive to others and doesn't hesitate to publicly break samaya whenever she has the chance to arrogantly use her corrupt knowledge.

How she acts is not my problem. Her posts have been been informative nonetheless. Most of what you said can apply to most people who reply on internet forums, myself included. This detraction is subject to the same faults and is a breach of samaya.

• Like 1

Does anyone here have experience with his system/teachings ?

He has an abundance of free vids and articles online.

Thanks.

I'm currently reading his book on dream yoga and I can't praise it highly enough. I've read a huge amount of dharma books over the years, many of which were scholarly commentaries to sacred texts. Whilst interesting for what they are, such books lack any real "guidance" element, often failing to contextualise the material from a practitioner's perspective.

This book is entirely different to that. It's clear from the start that he knows what he's talking about and has experienced it for himself. There's no superfluous content and it's all applicable and accessible. The book goes way beyond the subject of dream yoga, as many (waking time) practices are discussed as an aid to it. He is conversant with westerners and knows how we think and what background we have.

He is very skilled in coming at the subject with that in mind. Very refreshing. I think I will be looking out for more from him in the future. My thanks to Silent Thunder for bringing it to my attention.

I'm currently reading his book on dream yoga and I can't praise it highly enough. I've read a huge amount of dharma books over the years, many of which were scholarly commentaries to sacred texts. Whilst interesting for what they are, such books lack any real "guidance" element, often failing to contextualise the material from a practitioner's perspective.

This book is entirely different to that. It's clear from the start that he knows what he's talking about and has experienced it for himself. There's no superfluous content and it's all applicable and accessible. The book goes way beyond the subject of dream yoga, as many (waking time) practices are discussed as an aid to it. He is conversant with westerners and knows how we think and what background we have.

He is very skilled in coming at the subject with that in mind. Very refreshing. I think I will be looking out for more from him in the future. My thanks to Silent Thunder for bringing it to my attention.

Thank you for your input yabyum24.

Judging from the brief video clips and articles I've skimmed through, he has a good handle on western culture and the mindset. That's a great leg-up for any teacher of eastern spirituality and cultivation.

18 hours ago, Rakiel said:

has anybody used either of these hemi-sync guided meditations from Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche?

https://hemi-sync.com/product/sacred-space-the-practice-of-inner-stillness-album/

https://hemi-sync.com/product/healing-through-awareness-album/

I have not,  but I encourage you to look on TWR's Facebook page and website before purchasing anything by him from a third party. There are guided meditations and teachings he has offered for free. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2014 at 12:39 PM, steve said:

I do have a few books that are credible but I find the practice so valuable, I don't devote too much time to reading

Same here.  While my background is soto zen, later modified because I wanted to see why I was having lucid dreams and found Tibetan dream and sleep yoga,  (which, if I am not wrong is from the Bon shamanic tradition) , I don't know of do much other than the above mentioned as far as Tibetan Buddhism goes. 

But from what I have seen, so far,  there comes a time when we have to stop reading and talking, (like I am doing right now)LOL and just sit, or practice.  that seems to be where the rubber meets the road. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zen Pig said:

Same here.  While my background is soto zen, later modified because I wanted to see why I was having lucid dreams and found Tibetan dream and sleep yoga,  (which, if I am not wrong is from the Bon shamanic tradition) , I don't know of do much other than the above mentioned as far as Tibetan Buddhism goes. 

But from what I have seen, so far,  there comes a time when we have to stop reading and talking, (like I am doing right now)LOL and just sit, or practice.  that seems to be where the rubber meets the road. 

Timely that this thread was recently bumped.

Next week I leave for a retreat with Rinpoche marking the 5th in a 5 year cycle of teachings on the Zhangzhung Nyengyud, one of the 3 Bön Dzogchen lineages. The retreat I referred to in 2013 at the beginning of this thread was my first with Rinpoche and was a precursor to the 5 year cycle that culminates next week.

I'm not sure if the dream and sleep practices originated in the shamanic tradition or not but it would certainly make sense. I do know they are drawn from three primary sources - Ma Gyud (Mother Tantra), Zhangzhung Nyengyud (Oral Transmission of Zhangzhung), and Shardza Rinpoche (a very famous teacher from the early 20th century). 

I think you would find a lot of similarity between your Zen practice and the core practice Rinpoche teaches - Dzogchen. There are differences but the fundamental guidance is to 'leave everything just as it is.' Dzogchen literally means 'great perfection' referring to the idea that everything is fine just as it is, nothing is needed, nothing is out of place, nothing to be done but to be. While it sounds simple, the truth of it is quite elusive as you know doubt know as a Soto Zen practitioner.

Nice to have you here Zen Pig.

Warm regards

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rakiel said:

has anybody used either of these hemi-sync guided meditations from Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche?

https://hemi-sync.com/product/sacred-space-the-practice-of-inner-stillness-album/

https://hemi-sync.com/product/healing-through-awareness-album/

I know several people who use these practice aids and really like them.

I haven't used them myself more than having a quick listen.

Recently Rinpoche has been encouraging students to listen to or sing a mantra you can find on his Facebook page.

It's called the Sa Le Ă– mantra - A Om Hung Ah A Kar Sa Le Ă– A Yang Om Du

This is the mantra in the Bön tradition that represents and supports connection to the nature of mind.

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t heard or read much by Tenzin Rinpoche, but Steve’s posts here have much clarity and truth. I’ve heard it said that you can “judge” a teacher by their pupils. If that’s the case, I’d say Tenzin Rinpoche is a fine teacher indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1