adept

Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Does anyone here have experience with his system/teachings ?

He has an abundance of free vids and articles online.

Thanks.

Yeah, I attended his six lokas training 10-12 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I was a bit skeptical as he doesn't have a lineage with one of the main sects but rather the less verifiable and generic Bon. He also seems to share some higher level stuff with just about anyone and a few other questionable things.

The teaching was solid though. His presence and energy were great, and the practice that he taught was also phenomenal. Folks from the more solid established sects often don't like him but I was happy with what I learned from him. I never received any of the higher yogas from him so I can't compare those. I would wager that they are similar enough but infused with the Bon flavor. I haven't checked out any of his free vids/books online and haven't even thought of him in last decade or so. I would say if they resonate with you and make sense than follow through and pursue more of his teachings.

Thanks guys so far.

Then I guess it's not the lineage that counts, but whether the practices are of benefit.

Does anyone here have experience with his system/teachings ?

He has an abundance of free vids and articles online.

Thanks.

I just returned from a 6 day silent Dzogchen retreat with Tenzin Rinpoche.

Simply put, the practices are authentic and effective provided the student is ready.

HH the Dalai Lama respects the Bön lineage so that's a good enough reference for me.

Tenzin Rinpoche is warm, approachable, direct, genuine, and powerful.

I highly recommend his teachings to anyone looking to make an important change in their life.

He offers very high level practices and opportunities as you say and there are no strings attached other than those you bring with you.

• Like 7

I just returned from a 6 day silent Dzogchen retreat with Tenzin Rinpoche.

Simply put, the practices are authentic and effective provided the student is ready.

HH the Dalai Lama respects the Bön lineage so that's a good enough reference for me.

Tenzin Rinpoche is warm, approachable, direct, genuine, and powerful.

I highly recommend his teachings to anyone looking to make an important change in their life.

He offers very high level practices and opportunities as you say and there are no strings attached other than those you bring with you.

Thanks steve, that's the kind of response I was hoping for. Someone who has first hand experience and is willing to talk openly about it.

I am looking to make important changes in my life, and the Tibetan teachings seem to offer that, much better than any other paths that I've been investigating.

???

I've heard that LTN is not very agreeable to the way TWR presents dzogchen, the idea being that he is distilling down dzogchen by conveying the meaning of central concepts in a not so accurate way or in a more watered down style...

LTN is TWR's beloved root guru since he was a child.

What are you talking about?

Ask people like JLA or others who are close to LTN and you will understand a bit more about the style of dzogchen TWR teaches...

Ask people like JLA or others who are close to LTN and you will understand a bit more about the style of dzogchen TWR teaches...

So he should write a complete stranger asking about some tidbit of gossip someone hinted at on an internet forum? Come on man, if you have an opinion about TWR's teaching you want to share just come out and say it. If it does not seem prudent to you to say it directly, is it really better to be indirect about it?

So he should write a complete stranger asking about some tidbit of gossip someone hinted at on an internet forum? Come on man, if you have an opinion about TWR's teaching you want to share just come out and say it. If it does not seem prudent to you to say it directly, is it really better to be indirect about it?

JLA is not a complete stranger.Aside from having the authorization to teach He is a very well known scholar in buddhist and bon circles and he receives lots of letters from all kinds of people.And yes people should write to him if they want to find out more about these issues.

The fact that soemthing is not known to you it doesn't mean that these issues are not known in other circles.

LTN is TWR's guru since he was a child.

Moreover, TWR's books are some of the most hardcore Dzogchen books out there.

I don't think you should spread rumors unless you can back them up.

• Like 1

My first Buddhist book many years ago was the following.

wonders-of-the-natural-mind.jpg

Although I didn't understand much, it was a fascinating read that spurred my interest onward's to other books about meditation.

Wow, a lot of bickering on Dharma wheel…

Yawn

Bön is pretty deep. We are blessed to have access to such a rich and powerful tradition.

This might interest you - http://yungdrung-rignga-ling.forums-free.com/shentong-t316.html

And this -

"3. The Bon of the Extensive Prajnaparamita from the country of Phanyul ('phan yul rgyas pa 'bum gyi bon): This collection consists of the moral precepts, vows, rules, and ethical teachings for both monks and ordained lay people. In particular, the focus is on the philosophical and ethical system of the Prajnaparamita Sutras which are preserved in the Bonpo version in sixteen volumes known as the Khams chen. This collection basically represents the Sutra system, whereas the Chab dkar represents the Tantra system.

[According to Karmay, the name 'Phan-yul designates the district of 'Phan-yul to the north of Lhasa. This may have been the location where the Bonpo translation of the Prajnaparamita was made in the early period, then later concealed in a different region and rediscovered at a later time by gShen chen klu dga' in the 11th century. However, the Lopon disputes this theory and holds that 'phan-yul was probably a Zhang-zhung word whose meaning has been forgotten. The Tibetan term 'bum, literally meaning "one hundred thousand," is the usual designation in the Buddhist tradition for the entire collection of the Prajnaparamita Sutras, the largest of which consists of one hundred-thousand verses.]"

Which is an excerpt from - http://bon-encyclopedia.wikispaces.com/Yungdrung+Bon

I haven't studied much of the tradition yet but I can attest to the fact that the methods are extremely powerful!

@ Steve

Don't bother with bon-encyclopedia, stick to more legitimate sources of information, like that Bon forum you linked to.

The bon forum is pretty dead..

Indeed, that's why I watch out for mutsuk's posts on dharmawheel and vajracaka; her posts are always informative. If you can read French, than do a search for JLA's Dzogchen forum.

Thanks for the recommendation - at this point I'm not really studying or reading much, mainly practicing and reading things that are a direct support to the practice.

I do have a few books that are credible but I find the practice so valuable, I don't devote too much time to reading.

Thanks for your comments on the links I posted, I'm not knowledgable enough to assess the credibility of internet resources so I take them all with a teaspoon of salt.

Indeed, that's why I watch out for mutsuk's posts on dharmawheel and vajracaka; her posts are always informative. If you can read French, than do a search for JLA's Dzogchen forum.

Is this the forum you are referring to?

http://forumdzogchen.forumactif.com

I speak a little French but I'm not fluent by a long shot.