Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Sin

Goatguy, who amazes me with his abilities, really wants sin to be understood for what is it. He absolutely refuses to soften it up the slightest bit at all by calling it ignorance.

But what he has unveiled in his brilliant disposition on the gospel of Thomas might as well be the eastern teaching that it, in fact, is.

Sin, in terms of Thomas' gospel, isn't the sin of action, it is the sin of existence.

Sin, is ignorance of one's inconceivable nature. Taoism and Buddhism both consider having a self the main issue confounding realization of selfless nonorigination, which is the effective equivalent of the Father.

goatguy said in response to me on his thread:

If I understand you, I would say it is 'developmental' in the life of the Christian in the sense that one is not truly Christian without a true confessional of being wretched. So it is the first TRUE realization of their state.

So goatguy has made it clear that it is necessary to realize, firstly, and then subsequently admit of one's own very wretchedness in order to enter into the path of the light.

goatguy?

ed note: add "be" in 1st sentence

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 3

Yes the concept of sin is fascinating, and the Fall and so on.

There are parallels across the faiths.

I accepted of my own wretchedness, yes.

I certainly did that.

I was a humble man.

Otherwise the Angel of the Lord would not have come down unto me.

I'm enjoying being on this forum far too much.

But as long as people keep giving me likes.. I likes me them likes..

Damn. I'm gonna have to really go meditate on this now. Sin. Hmm. Yeah.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

I feel sorry for any one who feels they are in sin and suffer guilt for no valid reason - existential angst isn't one.

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks they need a true confessional of being wretched.

I have absolute joy and happiness, aside from anything else , in just being alive and existing . But people don't believe me ... I must be lying :rolleyes:

To think that the sin of existence is something real ... oh dear . What a mess.

This is 'black school' Gnosticism . Keep it away from innocent children.

"The word of Sin is Restriction. O man! refuse not thy wife, if she will! O lover, if thou wilt, depart! There is no bond that can unite the divided but love "

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

I have no doubt you are correct Nungali.

But there is more to be said, I think.

The fact is, I was wretched.

I would have looked pretty stupid denying it.

Then again, the Catholic Church has a lot to answer for...

• Like 1

There is such a thing as Cosmic Law.

Karma is part of the Cosmic Law.

To live and teach the law is the living Dharma.

This is my kamma damma.

Cosmic Law is neither absolute nor impersonal.

Following the Cosmic Law and seeking wisdom to understand and conform to its order is the way of power.

There is so much more to say.

Everything has its contradictory aspect.

A parrot box a parrot box a most ingenious parrot box

its a game really

the most ancient of days told me all about it

actually i figured it out for myself cos i one smart cookie

then i won the game

me

i won it already.

i was redeemed although there was certainly an element of redeeming myself and yet it was also by grace from beyond.

Who will tell me there is no sin in the world?

You have gotta be kiddin' me.

Maybe that means there's sin in me.

I understand that all too well.

But the worst I do is meagre.

And the world at large can seem so full of sin, can it not?

From the temporal powers come stories of dissolution.

Difficult to see the Dark Side is.

Therefore is not brushing aside "sin" a trifle too easy, under the circumstances?

Hmm?

*** Steward's Commentary ***

What you are doing here, Captain Mar-Vell, is frowned upon on this forum. Please refrain from "spamming" threads, OK?

*** End Steward's Commentary ***

• Like 1

Goatguy, who amazes me with his abilities, really wants sin to be understood for what is it. He absolutely refuses to soften it up the slightest bit at all by calling it ignorance.

But what he has unveiled in his brilliant disposition on the gospel of Thomas might as well be the eastern teaching that it, in fact, is.

Sin, in terms of Thomas' gospel, isn't the sin of action, it is the sin of existence.

Sin, is ignorance of one's inconceivable nature. Taoism and Buddhism both consider having a self the main issue confounding realization of selfless nonorigination, which is the effective equivalent of the Father.

So goatguy has made it clear that it is necessary to realize, firstly, and then subsequently admit of one's own very wretchedness in order to enter into the path of the light.

goatguy?

Hi Deci & goatguy,

Sorry to intrude on your discussion, but rather than "wretchedness" and repenting, the message of Jesus is one of returning to God. English versions of the gospels often describe Jesus as saying... "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand." But, if one looks at the underlying greek, the phase translates more as... "Return, for the kingdom of God is at hand."

Concepts like one's wretchedness and the associated desires/suffering are an illusion of the mind. As written in John, we are children of God and "sin" is found in the perceived separation of the will or flow of God/Tao.

John 1:12-13

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

In my opinion, scriptural analysis of the gospels based on aspects of the old testament is challenging as rather than a continuation of a story, they are describing two different levels of realization/understanding...

John 1:17

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Also, I would agree that Deci's concept of ignorance is closer to the mark, but it begs the further question of... Ignorance of what? It is that deeper understanding that the Gospel of Thomas points us to... :)

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this