BaguaKicksAss

So how do you guys do stuff? Idiot's guide in plain english?

So a bunch of buddhist folks have been posting interesting stuff in a couple of threads I've started.

Interesting, but really really confusing.

Soooooo can anyone explain how you guys do the practical stuff, but in plain basic english with no words in other languages? ;)

It's really difficult to keep track when I have to read an entire page about 20 different words in one post....

I know there are english concepts/equivalences to a lot of this stuff...

I've at least meditated lots, so likely can understand concepts/experiences, just not all these confusing words.

(not I feel like one of those folks who asks me to use less big words ROFL).

• Like 1

An hour or 2 per day, or more like all day everyday? :)

The one I do is permissible to do in a car without any visualization.

So I do when driving.

• Like 1

I closely studied the Dhammapada for many years.

For several years I considered myself Theravadan Buddhist.

Of course, I studied many other schools of Buddhism later.

I could go to wiki to refresh my memory on the specifics.

I think I have a fair feeling for the language and terminology.

But I don't suppose I could teach it formally.

Perhaps I could.

But right now I prefer to go back to basics.

Meditation is meditation.

Virtue is virtue.

Clarity is clarity.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

I have been having trouble with thoughts, desires, intentions leaking out lately so think I'm going to take some of the advice above to help with that.

Not that I haven't had an entire lifetime of such things happening, it's just lately that I am more aware of them rippling out and creating stuff :(. Before it was only on an intellectual level.

I would also like to be more neutral about all things.

You guys cheated, I see some long words not in english ;).

Hehehe. They do that just to impress themselves. If you keep questioning them they will eventually speak English.

• Like 3

Hehehe. They do that just to impress themselves. If you keep questioning them they will eventually speak English.

lololol

Now if someone asked me to explain my practice in plain english... that would be *quite* a challenge. I mean in a way someone could make use of it and so forth.

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts, I hope they are helpful.

Love or Loving-kindness (metta) - Helps quieten the mind, brings about sensitivity and receptivity.

Compassion (karuna) - The means of expanding awareness into the universal spheres.

Sympathetic Joy (mudita) - The life of the organism.

Equanimity (upekkha) - The key to everything! Balance!

• Like 2

Brilliant.

Exactly.

I am always good.

I am always where I am.

I always return mind to breath.

Hey!, you are doing better than I am. I'm not always good. Sometimes I get pissed off then I be naughty.

Soooooo can anyone explain how you guys do the practical stuff, but in plain basic english with no words in other languages? ;)

We crossed the high Himalayan pass just as the weather turned. The Sherpas had all but given up and had declared our mission little more than madness.

But suddenly it was there - the fabled kingdom of Shangri-La. We staggered down into the lush valley watched by incredulous natives who had scarce seen an outsider in over a century.

There was no mistaking the temple, it's legendary golden doors, which swung open as a monk emerged. We prostrated and begged him to confer the most highest empowerment. He smiled and explained that there were five levels and we would first need to gain the four in order to gain the most highest.

"Yes mighty Lama!" We replied.

"I'm not the Lama". He said, removing a mysterious metallic object from his robes. We could scarce believe our eyes has his fingers passed over it.

"An iPad Air!" My companion gasped.

"The Lama is nowadays based in California". The monk said absent-mindedly, as he checked his mail.

"You can catch the first empowerment in Zurich, in March. Then he's off to Madrid to do the second in April. Australia is scheduled for June for empowerment number three... I think it's Moscow for the forth empowerment in August, then back to our centre in California for the big one in September, if you can make them all".

We were stunned. "B,b,but this place?" I stammered.

"Oh yeah he keeps it for storage."

"Sod that" I thought, I'll just do breathing meditation instead.

• Like 6

We crossed the high Himalayan pass just as the weather turned. The Sherpas had all but given up and had declared our mission little more than madness.

But suddenly it was there - the fabled kingdom of Shangri-La. We staggered down into the lush valley watched by incredulous natives who had scarce seen an outsider in over a century.

There was no mistaking the temple, it's legendary golden doors, which swung open as a monk emerged. We prostrated and begged him to confer the most highest empowerment. He smiled and explained that there were five levels and we would first need to gain the four in order to gain the most highest.

"Yes mighty Lama!" We replied.

"I'm not the Lama". He said, removing a mysterious metallic object from his robes. We could scarce believe our eyes has his fingers passed over it.

"An iPad Air!" My companion gasped.

"The Lama is nowadays based in California". The monk said absent-mindedly, as he checked his mail.

"You can catch the first empowerment in Zurich, in March. Then he's off to Madrid to do the second in April. Australia is scheduled for June for empowerment number three... I think it's Moscow for the forth empowerment in August, then back to our centre in California for the big one in September, if you can make them all".

We were stunned. "B,b,but this place?" I stammered.

"Oh yeah he keeps it for storage."

"Sod that" I thought, I'll just do breathing meditation instead.

RAOFL :D

Excellent advice!!!

I'd add secular Mindfulness as well - it's less contentious and it still packs all of the punch :)

I do all manner of ritual prostrations all day long when I am hidden, hermit-like in my Indomitable Redoubt.

Helps enormously.

I spend half the day on my knees.

I ain't kiddin'.

I would be better off spending my time doing press ups or sit ups.

I want muscles like these body builder dudes!

I would be better off spending my time doing press ups or sit ups.

I want muscles like these body builder dudes!

As with anything else - you gotta' do the wrok.