Sign in to follow this  
TimBlack

Lost my way......

After being ill and out of work for several years, (86-91) I was introduced to the Microcosmic orbit and the Inner Smile meditations; which I practiced diligently. This opened my eyes to the world of "Chi" and I sought out accupuncture treatment as well. All of this helped improve to my health and I soon turned to mindfulness meditation and looked into becoming a Buddhist.

Well, long story short....I now have no practice at all. Knee pain and job fatigue make early rising all too painful...and the lack of a meditation practice has drained my being of any sense of homeostasis....and the thought of setting up an evening practice seems too immense an undertaking.

If there was one (or two) Taoist healing exercises or practices that you would most recommend as a way to getting back to where I belong, what would they be?

The key is to start with something small and quick and do it every day.

For this purpose I couldn't praise Donna Eden's energy routine highly enough. It's a really excellent drill to do - it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and has many benefits - in fact I would recomend this routine to anyone who doesn't practice qi gong... it's seriously powerfull and can be taken quite deeply.

here is a link to a youtube video of the routine.

The key is to start with something small and quick and do it every day.

For this purpose I couldn't praise Donna Eden's energy routine highly enough. It's a really excellent drill to do - it only takes 5 to 10 minutes and has many benefits - in fact I would recomend this routine to anyone who doesn't practice qi gong... it's seriously powerfull and can be taken quite deeply.

here is a link to a youtube video of the routine.

This sounds like a good place to start. I remember "embracing the tree" and other such standing meditations and how I would feel not only increased energy but a sense of well being that I have not felt in some time.

Thanks....

Finding your way back requires consciously retracing your steps and understanding how you went from nearly

becoming a Buddhist convert to becoming a complete spiritual shipwreck. Otherwise, you remain at the edge

of the great abyss and are in danger of falling into it at any time again. Think hard, my friend. Where did you

first derail, or deviate from the path of light and life and into the heart of darkness and death?

Ah, Yen Hui,

It appears to be as myraid as the sufferings of man. I think that after I learned much after having tasted pain and poverty, like many, when health and prosperity began to return so did the strength of the five mental hindrances

http://www.buddhistinformation.com/five_me...s_and_their.htm]Five Mental Hindrances[/url]

Since my injury, I remain partially disabled and my range of motion and flexabilty is very poor. Tai Chi helped but I did nor pursue it due to financial constraints. My best weight is 180-185 and my esculation to 210 -215 has helped mold me into a insulin dependent diabetic. Hence the difficulty with Sloth....

But the rest also remain as nipping dogs at my heel. When I was able (and willing) to maintain a daily meditation practice my world was quite different.

I guess that I'm hoping for a cosmic slap in the ass....or perhaps I'm just more content whith whining. I just know that I'm spiraling into the sucking vortex of desparation....and frankly, it pissess me off!

post-82-1182628395_thumb.jpg

Since my injury, I remain partially disabled and my range of motion and flexabilty is very poor. Tai Chi helped but I did nor pursue it due to financial constraints. My best weight is 180-185 and my esculation to 210 -215 has helped mold me into a insulin dependent diabetic.

Do you mind saying what your injury is?

we have a big knowledge base here, and I'm sure people will have some helpful ideas on how to rehabilitate your injury. I may have some ideas myself - (and it probably wouldn't have to cost a lot)

Also our fellow Bum Karen might have some idea on what you can try to improve your diabetes - she's a tresure trove of health-related knowledge.

Leidee, let us know how the excersises go - I must say that although this is fantastic for busy people that aren't interested in spending hours doing qi gong, the qi gong is far more powerfull. An analogy would be - Donna's routine is like a foreign language phrasebook, where-as learning qi gong is learning the full language and creating poetry with it. - saying that, I still use some of Donna's 'phrases' in my qi gong poetry.

I will let you know how I go, Freeform :)

I will start doing them shortly when I am on holidays (in a couple of weeks' time). Right now, work and life has me feeling a bit run down but, hopefully, with a bit of a break and some consideration of the direction of my life, I will feel inspired again...

Condsider yourself lucky that you atleast have a physical disadvantage to point to for not practicing.

As everyone else here, resisting practice is THE biggest hurdle in practice.

There is no need to formally meditate if you have physical disabilities, injury or illness.

If you only can sit in a chair, or lie down, you can still practice very efficiently.

One thing you can do is breathe. Breath practice and vizualization is a great way to start your healing process.

Here's on thing you can do as a morning or evening practice:

Lie down on the bed, and focus on your breathing. Watch the breath as it changes, its texture and rate, and see how the body responds. After some time, raise your arms straight up and stretch them behind you so that your body is totally extended, your fingers erect, palm facing upwards. Now you are like a big column of light, and vizualise that you are this conductor of light that passes from your fingers, arms, through your body, and out your feet. Try not to rest your arms and hands on the bed but let them stay above the bed. Lie there and rest the breath as you feel how the light passes through you. It is beneficial to have the arms wider than the space btw your head, and let the palms turn slightly outwards (not totally level). Remember to keep the attention on melting where tension arises. Do this for as long as you possibly can, and always a little longer than you think you can. Finish with relaxing, shaking, and letting the energy rest in your bones.

This is a great practice, and should start alot of changes, both in your knees and in general.

Try it out, and give feedback if you like

h

Killer massage routine, Freeform!

qi.org in the forms section has the two most popular forms of qigong: essential soaring crane and fragrant qigong. Both very simple. I've just discovered them from Isvatn. Fragrant can be done while sitting and photos are at http://www16.brinkster.com/xianggong/en/actions.html

If you want a taichi type form, I've heard very good things about Winn's medical taichi form. One thing I've noticed about Winn's primodial taichi form is that you can do it in your imagination and still get the same results from it. Kinda weird, but there you have it. I haven't checked to see if that's true with other moving forms, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I really feel ya, Tao.

I've been walking the Path for a long time, but it often seems that I spend more time wandering off course than making progress (if there is such a thing).

There's a lot of good advice already laid down here, and I would suggest giving Freeforms and Yodas advice in particular very serious attention.

If you do not choose to use the following method, at least do something, and do it every day, even if only for a few minutes, as Freeform said.

Practicing in your mind is very effective to build new habits, and to increase your energy flow, both mental and physical. This is sometimes called practicing in the theatre of your imagination, or reflective rescripting.

In fact, were I you (and I am :P ), I would make it a point to get up as early as possible every morning, go outside, preferably somewhere isolated and close to nature (preferable, but not absolutely neccessary). Right before bed is also a good time, but personally I think morning is better. You should choose a good time and a good place, and then try to stick to both every time. Get comfortable in whatever posture you can that will allow you to remain (more or less) without moving for ten to fifteen minutes, and then practice your routines (it matters less what they are than that you are consistent in your practice) entirely in your mind, as detailed as possible. Try to really feel what you would feel if you were physically performing. Be there in your mind. See yourself practicing, as vividly and in as much detail as you can. Breathe.

There is much scientific evidence which suggests that the low mind, or subconscious, cannot distiguish between a real experience and one which is vividly imagined. (reference esp. the work of Maxwell Maltz and Psycho Cybernetics, Bobby Summer and Reflective Rescripting).

By using this method, you are leading the mind and the body into a new habitual pattern. A good one. Away from desperation towards action. Your body will respond, as will your mind. It will probably take somewhere around three weeks or so to begin to see results. Don't give up.

If you are even moderately steady in this practice, I would wager that you find both your body and mind moving to where you want them to be. You will find that the actual doing of the physical work becomes a follow through, and gets easier and easier.

Also, strangely enough - don't try to do too much all at once, of anything. At this point, believe it or not, less is more for you. Whatever practice you use, I would not do more than twenty or thirty minutes a day, at the most. But do do it. Every day.

Finally, as we both know, if you are on a downward spiral, you probably won't be very consistent. Whatever method you choose, make a committment to yourself that this is important, and that you will follow through and be consistent. When you aren't, don't blow it off!!! Do it whenever you get up, even if its the middle of the afternoon. Consistent is very important, but its more important to just do it, whenever it happens. Don't let the day pass.

May you find your Way...

Edited by buddabubba

Sign in to follow this