Sign in to follow this  
Ya Mu

Little Treasures

Those of you who studied authentic Chinese Medicine may have heard of these "Little Treasures". Basically they are formulas, "cures", "folk" medicine, closely guarded secrets only shared with a few. They are usually handed down in a lineage but can be passed from a teacher to anyone and are many times family secrets.

This topic came to mind as I am searching for my packed up notebook (somewhere) of "Little Treasures". A lot of these are really interesting but would not suit the western...mind... er, no, stomach, er... Anyway, some of them would seem quite bizarre to a western trained person yet sometimes make (western) pharmaceutical sense.

It is highly unlikely that anyone who has some of these are able to share due to confidentiality but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone can. I have never shared these in my workshops. If anyone can, it will be understood that they are not for treating any disease but shared from a historical viewpoint.

If I can find my book I will try to share a sample. In the meantime???

• Like 7

Not sure if this is the sort of thing intended but I'll share one which was taught to me about 40 years ago by an ancient mountain woman (she was about 100 at the time) who said her mother had learned it from "an injun..."

When a case of poison ivy is severe enough to break the skin, rubbing the juice from the touch-me-not or jewel-weed plant can be applied topically to dry and accelerate healing of the rash. Pick the stalk live and crush it by rolling between palms and then rub directly on the afflicted area(s).

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I think my notebook of "Little Treasures" is still packed up in a box somewhere from the last time I moved my pain clinic (or the time before that). Most of the treasures I could not have used in my clinic; these type of things, as I mentioned in the first post, would not be well received by the western audience.

Brian, interesting historic remedy. I would say this qualifies as a "Little Treasure". Although I personally would probably not go to the trouble of getting the plant as I keep "Technu" on my shelf. Of course, if that wasn't available, I need to look up the jewel-weed plant and make sure I can recognize it although I think I would. A case of poison ivy sux.

It's a common weed in my neck of the woods -- grows in wet spots like creek beds and ditches so finding it in abundance is rarely an issue here.

Plaintain (the herb, not the bananas) is used by Native Americans for poison ivy and snake bites to draw out the poison, and clean and coagulate the wound. It's also a blood cleanser to it could be taken internally for poisoning as well.

Cloves are good not just for tooth aches but also to clean bacteria out of cavities (it's anti-bacterial), and they can be left along the gum line to treat gingivitis as they are antiseptics. Chewing them is also the best thing for sore throats as it numbs the sore throat while destroying any bacteria, virus, fungus, etc.

(I add the clove treatments to the "little treasures" because those were my own discoveries on using cloves and are not found in write-ups about them.)

Ukrainians use very warm cabbage leaves as compresses for bruises and pains. Just heard it couple days ago and haven't tried it.

Not sure if this is the sort of thing intended but I'll share one which was taught to me about 40 years ago by an ancient mountain woman (she was about 100 at the time) who said her mother had learned it from "an injun..."

When a case of poison ivy is severe enough to break the skin, rubbing the juice from the touch-me-not or jewel-weed plant can be applied topically to dry and accelerate healing of the rash. Pick the stalk live and crush it by rolling between palms and then rub directly on the afflicted area(s).

I've heard this one too. Also that if you apply the crushed juice right after you were exposed to poison ivy it can prevent getting a rash at all. That I have done and either it worked or I wasn't really exposed. Not going to intentionally test it.

I've heard this one too. Also that if you apply the crushed juice right after you were exposed to poison ivy it can prevent getting a rash at all. That I have done and either it worked or I wasn't really exposed. Not going to intentionally test it.

Yes, I've done that, too -- with what seems to be good results but, as you say, it is hard to tell since you don't always get a rash from incidental contact.

Sign in to follow this