I found a link to I-Kuan Tao on another Taoist website. It is described as a mixture of Ch'an Buddhism and Taoism. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

I found a link to I-Kuan Tao on another Taoist website. It is described as a mixture of Ch'an Buddhism and Taoism. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

Chan Buddhism is cultivated to be in all situations without the discriminating mind. While sitting, do not worry about the pain in the legs, and how much time you have spent sitting, as well as worrying about the thoughts in the mind. Be it sitting, walking, working, talking, etc... be still in mind by not ataching to emotions, desires, thoughts. This means no daydreaming; thinking of a loved one in various situations, family, current situations, sad and happy ones as well.

That doesn't mean one stops thinking, it just means that one is not pulled from one thought to the next irresponsibly and ignorantly. You do not want thoughts to stop. For if they did you wouold just be a log sittign and wasting yourself. It is the attachments to thoughts which is transformed.

This is the same with Daoism. While sitting, walking, etc... one should not be pulled in all directions by their emotions, desires, thoughts, etc. One should be still in mind. This means to not attach to the experience as it being something you own. This is what is meant by non doing. It is to do enough in all situations, and not be moved irresponsibly, ignorantly by one's mind.

Though both schools of cultivation are totally different, the original nature of all beings is the same. Therefore there may be conditions of living beings that call for similar methods to be used by Daoists that are similar with those in Chan Buddhism. The Buddha Dharma isn't fixed, but the foundation is never changed.

I have a good friend who is a Daoist Nun. That means she is a left home person. I see her often to talk and do certain things. We often discuss the Shurangama Sutra, Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva and Buddhism in detail, as well as discuss the 8 Immortals, and their teachings and many other indepth things. She reads the Shurangama Sutra as well, and respects Buddhism for it is of cultivation.

There is acknowledgment that Buddhism and Daoism are totally different realities altogether, but the methods of cultivation, though some point to the same direction but different paths, are somewhat similar for certain outcomes, and it is dependant on the mind cultivating.

Peace,

Aiwei

Edited by 林愛偉

Chan Buddhism is cultivated to be in all situations without the discriminating mind. While sitting, do not worry about the pain in the legs, and how much time you have spent sitting, as well as worrying about the thoughts in the mind. Be it sitting, walking, working, talking, etc... be still in mind by not ataching to emotions, desires, thoughts. This means no daydreaming; thinking of a loved one in various situations, family, current situations, sad and happy ones as well.

That doesn't mean one stops thinking, it just means that one is not pulled from one thought to the next irresponsibly and ignorantly. You do not want thoughts to stop. For if they did you wouold just be a log sittign and wasting yourself. It is the attachments to thoughts which is transformed.

This is the same with Daoism. While sitting, walking, etc... one should not be pulled in all directions by their emotions, desires, thoughts, etc. One should be still in mind. This means to not attach to the experience as it being something you own. This is what is meant by non doing. It is to do enough in all situations, and not be moved irresponsibly, ignorantly by one's mind.

Though both schools of cultivation are totally different, the original nature of all beings is the same. Therefore there may be conditions of living beings that call for similar methods to be used by Daoists that are similar with those in Chan Buddhism. The Buddha Dharma isn't fixed, but the foundation is never changed.

I have a good friend who is a Daoist Nun. That means she is a left home person. I see her often to talk and do certain things. We often discuss the Shurangama Sutra, Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva and Buddhism in detail, as well as discuss the 8 Immortals, and their teachings and many other indepth things. She reads the Shurangama Sutra as well, and respects Buddhism for it is of cultivation.

There is acknowledgment that Buddhism and Daoism are totally different realities altogether, but the methods of cultivation, though some point to the same direction but different paths, are somewhat similar for certain outcomes, and it is dependant on the mind cultivating.

Peace,

Aiwei

agreed

the tao is a path

but not a fixed path