I have a friend whom has ADD and was considering recommending some meditation techniques to him in order to help with his current state. I have read several articles that say Meditation helps treat it but was wondering if anyone can share personal stories of its effectiveness?

My 2 cents, Peace

ADHD is just a label. The vast majority (but not all) of people who have been labeled as such have no disorder whatsoever. I have know many people with supposed ADHD and they are generally fun, energetic, and creative. Don't try to "cure" it just because some idiot psychologist thinks it needs treatment. To hell with them.

If your friend wants something to increase his focus try physical aerobic exercise. Some hard sessions on the treadmill should do the trick.

ADHD is just a label. The vast majority (but not all) of people who have been labeled as such have no disorder whatsoever. I have know many people with supposed ADHD and they are generally fun, energetic, and creative. Don't try to "cure" it just because some idiot psychologist thinks it needs treatment. To hell with them.

If your friend wants something to increase his focus try physical aerobic exercise. Some hard sessions on the treadmill should do the trick.

While I understand where your coming from mike in dislike for the medical establishment....I am not sure writing off long term difficulties and ailments as a label and saying they can be healed with a run on the treadmill is a balanced approach. No one is saying that people with ADHD are not fun and loving. My friend is quite an enthusiastic and fun person.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayo-Clinic-Guide-Stress-Free-Living/dp/0738217123/]The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living[/url] deals with attention (concentration) training. The old version of the book listed tons of studies dealing with the brain...I'm not sure about this one.

Thanks for the link turtle. Will look into it. I was think something like candle gazing might be useful for someone with a frenzied mind.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

I think any meditation would work, as long as they start with a very small amount of time. Sitting there for an hour with your mind wandering all over is both a bad habit to form, and asking too much at once. Even starting with 5 minutes a couple times a day would be good.

Moving stuff like qigong might even be a better start, since it would give them something more to focus on.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link turtle. Will look into it. I was think something like candle gazing might be useful for someone with a frenzied mind.

Yep, that definitely would be good.

http://www.amazon.com/Concentration-Mental-Mastery-Mouni-Sadhu/dp/0879800232/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386709239&sr=1-2&keywords=concentration

In this book the initial exercises involves a clock. Monitoring progress is therefore easy and exact.

It is my favorite manual when it comes to training the mind, and the early exercises only takes 5 minutes or so.

• Like 1

One response to a negative review of the book by someone claiming it will cause you to be possessed by demons: "WAIT. This book will increase your concentration skills AND summon demons?? SOLD!"

:)

• Like 1

Reverse MCO - water/magnetic flow

also deep grounding into the earth

Yeah, ideally having someone do some kind energy work is best. But it's also the difficulty of bumping up against people's conceptual reality barriers. Meditation is ideal since it is most tangible and has been studied scientifically rather than showing people these woo-woo-e body movements that have no tangible result except in the subtle sense or internal energetic practices that assume a certain microcosmic view.

I think any meditation would work, as long as they start with a very small amount of time. Sitting there for an hour with your mind wandering all over is both a bad habit to form, and asking too much at once. Even starting with 5 minutes a couple times a day would be good.

Moving stuff like qigong might even be a better start, since it would give them something more to focus on.

Yeah was going to suggest something short like 5 min in the morning and 5 at night. I am remember just 10 minutes was as difficult when I first started my practice. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi