thelerner

Devious call for adding Christianity as a subforum

I don't like adding new forums because it lessens the space for general discussion. I don't like threads on Christianity much either, its just not my cup of tea. Still there's been a lot of them lately. Perhaps we can combine two things I don't like into one.

• Like 1

I don't like adding new forums because it lessens the space for general discussion. I don't like threads on Christianity much either, its just not my cup of tea. Still there's been a lot of them lately. Perhaps we can combine two things I don't like into one.

Funny. Hehehe.

But then, I would agree that having a specific place for discussion Christian concepts without too much interference isn't a bad idea.

Admin can make a decision based on the number of requests for such have been submitted.

imo sub forums have cluttered up too much of the see-able space of general discussion already. if we add christian there will soon be a call to add muslim and so on and so forth. a pantheist subforum almost makes sense to me, but i wont call for it.

maybe the solution is to create a separate section just for the subforums? of if we have gone to general discussion and then go to the second page, why do we still have to see all the clutter of the listed subforums i didnt want to see in the first place? can it be put on the first page only?

idk i am not tech oriented. for me,seeing all of the subforums listed is not very aesthetically pleasing and it is blocking what i am trying to see.

if we add about 5 or 6 more subforums listed on general discussion page all we will see is the listed subforums and we wont see the active general discussion threads and clicking to the next page will still be the same thing. i am not against the subforums but i think that they need reorganized.

• Like 3

Personally, I would like to see a new top-level sub-forum named something like "Non-Taoist Philosophy or Religion" into which these various and sundry distractions from the Tao can be located. This could include things like the "___ Discussion" sub-forums currently within the General Discussions sub-forum as well as any well-supported additional sub-forums (Christianity, Islam, Kabbalah, American Indian knowledge, Wicca, Voodoo, whatever...)

• Like 3

Oops! I had intended to include "Pagan" in the list but somehow it didn't get in there.

• Like 1

imo sub forums have cluttered up too much of the see-able space of general discussion already. if we add christian there will soon be a call to add muslim and so on and so forth. a pantheist subforum almost makes sense to me, but i wont call for it.

maybe the solution is to create a separate section just for the subforums? of if we have gone to general discussion and then go to the second page, why do we still have to see all the clutter of the listed subforums i didnt want to see in the first place? can it be put on the first page only?

idk i am not tech oriented. for me,seeing all of the subforums listed is not very aesthetically pleasing and it is blocking what i am trying to see.

if we add about 5 or 6 more subforums listed on general discussion page all we will see is the listed subforums and we wont see the active general discussion threads and clicking to the next page will still be the same thing. i am not against the subforums but i think that they need reorganized.

If you reorganise, could we also have "medical" Chi Kung moved to the protected Healing Forum please?

I think that it would be much happier there.

Edited by gatito

Good ideas.

imo sub forums have cluttered up too much of the see-able space of general discussion already.

maybe the solution is to create a separate section just for the subforums? of if we have gone to general discussion and then go to the second page, why do we still have to see all the clutter of the listed subforums i didnt want to see in the first place? can it be put on the first page only?. i am not against the subforums but i think that they need reorganized.

Personally, I would like to see a new top-level sub-forum named something like "Non-Taoist Philosophy or Religion" into which these various and sundry distractions from the Tao can be located. This could include things like the "___ Discussion" sub-forums currently within the General Discussions sub-forum as well as any well-supported additional sub-forums (Christianity, Islam, Kabbalah, American Indian knowledge, Wicca, Voodoo, whatever...)

Good idea, but to many sub-forums might have a diluting effect. Imo better a few that active then ones so specific they stay little used and unread.

It is already one finger scroll to get past the subs to the threads... So what if the finger is asked to exercise itself one more time while we sit and uh... type on a keyboard... there is nothing else our body is doing at the time.

But as you say, it really depends on good organization.

If you reorganise, could we also have "medical" Chi Kung moved to the protected Healing Forum please?

I think that it would be much happier there.

And why is it protected?

An Anarchist Forum would be nice too. It would likely remain empty though.

we can say we used to have an Anarchist forum, but it got hacked by anarchists :ph34r:

• Like 2

It is already one finger scroll to get past the subs to the threads... So what if the finger is asked to exercise itself one more time while we sit and uh... type on a keyboard... there is nothing else our body is doing at the time.

But as you say, it really depends on good organization.

Still to much work, my finger's exhausted by the end of the day. ;).

More importantly the all important first page of discussion is reduced and once a good thread falls to the 2nd page its more likely to 'die off' despite being a good topic.

• Like 1

yeah then I want a Pagan one! ;)

There are only so many christian posts in hermetic cause no one moves them to general...

Ahem! Excuse me one bitty bit ... those threads such as Gospel of Thomas and so on are there in Hermetic because they are Christian esoteric or Christian Mysticism. I see a distinction between this subject and general Xstianity. We kept them there so as not to disturb you Taoist strange people with your semen retaining ways. :) Seriously there is a branch of Kabbalah and so on which is Christian (eg. Pico dela Mirondela) which I think is legit on here. So boo no to a separate Christian sub forum.

• Like 5

Ahem! Excuse me one bitty bit ... those threads such as Gospel of Thomas and so on are there in Hermetic because they are Christian esoteric or Christian Mysticism. I see a distinction between this subject and general Xstianity. We kept them there so as not to disturb you Taoist strange people with your semen retaining ways. :) Seriously there is a branch of Kabbalah and so on which is Christian (eg. Pico dela Mirondela) which I think is legit on here. So boo no to a separate Christian sub forum.

I wasn't thinking of those ones... ;).

I agree with Apech. Aside from the fact that historically, Hermetic materials survived because they were viewed as important to the early Christian Church, Lactantius in particular praised them, there are Christian works of magic, Marisilio Ficino Christian Platonism is one of the most interesting intellectual edifices to ever edify the world, worthy of study even if one does not care about Christianity per se, but is interested in its formal structure, as I am, and many other interesting aspects that could be explored.

There is a constant interweaving between the Abrahamic religions and Hermetic and Occult topics throughout the Hellenistic, Medieval and Renaissance periods into modern times. Creating a special Christian sub-forum would create protected soap boxes for fundamentalist rants, keeping Christianity in the Hermetic and Occult section at least can be used to keep it on track for esoteric, historical and intellectual purposes.

For the reasons I have listed above and because it continues an already bad trend of sub-forum proliferation, I propose we cross a Christian sub-forum off the agenda.

• Like 2