SonOfTheGods

Satanic Temple *UP-DATED*

OKLAHOMA CITY – A New York-based Satanist organization has offered to erect a public ‘homage to Satan’ near a Ten Commandments monument on the premises of the Oklahoma capitol building.

The Satanic Temple issued a news release about the matter this week, outlining that they believe that it may resolve the dispute over the monument, which is currently the subject of a federal lawsuit.

As previously reported, the monument at issue was proposed and paid for in 2009 by Republican Representative Mike Ritze, and was soon after approved by the largely Republican-run state legislature.

“[T]he Ten Commandments are an important component of the foundation of the laws and legal system of the United States of America and of the State of Oklahoma,” the bill authorizing the monument acknowledged. “[T]he courts of the United States of America and of various states frequently cite the Ten Commandments in published decisions, and acknowledgements of the role played by the Ten Commandments in our nation’s heritage are common throughout America.”

The six-foot display was erected last year, but the ACLU said that the monument was unconstitutional.

“The monument’s placement at the Capitol has created a more divisive and hostile state for many Oklahomans,” stated Ryan Kiesel, the executive director of ACLU of Oklahoma, in a news release. “When the government literally puts one faith on a pedestal, it sends a strong message to Oklahomans of other faiths that they are less than equal.”

This past August, the organization filed suit against the monument, with the lead plaintiff being minister Bruce Prescott, the director of Mainstream Oklahoma Baptists. Prescott said that mixing the sacred with the secular in such a manner cheapens the display, and asserted that it violated the Constitution’s Establishment Clause, which says that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion…”

“I am not opposed to monuments of the Ten Commandments that are placed on private property and/or on the grounds of religious institutions,” he wrote to the ACLU. “I am opposed to erecting Ten Commandments monuments on public property and particularly on the grounds of the state Capitol where people of different faiths and of no faith go to exercise their rights as citizens.”

Now, the New-York based Satanic Temple says that it has offered to to donate a public monument to be placed near the Ten Commandments display in order to “appease the ACLU’s concerns.” It says that if Oklahoma’s Capitol Preservation Commission grants the request, they will then seek public input for the text and design on the proposed “homage to Satan.”

“By accepting our offer, the good people of Oklahoma City will have the opportunity to show that they espouse the basic freedoms spelled out in the Constitution. We imagine that the ACLU would also embrace such a response,” stated spokesperson Lucien Greaves. “Allowing us to donate a monument would show that the Oklahoma City Council does not discriminate, and both the religious and non-religious should be happy with such an outcome. Our mission is to bring people together by finding common sentiments that create solutions that everyone can appreciate and enjoy.”

However, as previously reported, the Liberty Institute, a Christian legal organization in Plano, Texas, is working alongside Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to defend the Ten Commandments display as being lawful—all by itself.

“The ACLU and others have made it their mission to eliminate any trace of religion from public view,” the organization remarked. “Legislative prayer, city-sponsored senior wellness centers, … sacred veterans memorials–nothing and no one is safe from their attacks. However, Liberty Institute is fighting back.”

http://christiannews.net/2013/12/06/satanic-temple-seeks-to-place-homage-to-satan-near-ten-commandments-monument/

Edited by SonOfTheGods
  • Like 1

Location, location, location. They picked a bad one. What part of LaVey probably chose San Francisco for a reason did they not get? Might be a media ploy though to get some more members and such.

Personally, I think each religion believes they are the only true religion, and only they can trademark and copyright "god".

What this displays is the freedom of religion is for everyone, whether the majority (right wing) likes it or not.

Oklahoma is tornado alley.

Oklahoma gets destroyed every year by tornados.

The 10 commandments monument has done nothing to prevent it, even though Oklahoma thinks they have their god in their back pocket.

The satanic monument, brings the scapegoat clause. Next season when tornados destroy Oklahoma they can blame the resurrection of this satanic monument.

$atan was the best advertisement for the church.

With this monument brings publicity, and that brings revenue.

So it is a win-win, for all.

Edited by SonOfTheGods

Could make for an interesting challenge of the incorporation doctrine.

I kinda like this...

_45563361_it-clown.jpg

:)

• Like 1

They could send me the Satanic monument if Oklahoma rejects it. I would put it on my front lawn. I live across the street from a huge ostentatious baptist church. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Oh surely if a bit of 'Goat on goat action' is suitable for the British Museum its suitable for posting here ?

http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair/files/2013/03/pan-goat-statue-british-museum.jpg

ROFL. I didn't know that one was sitting (er laying down?) in the British Museum :).

I still want to head over to see some of the various old magical items/grimoires/manuscripts..

• Like 1

Oklahoma state lawmakers claim Oklahoma is a 'faith based state' and the Satanic monument is not allowed. I wonder if this will go eventually to SCOTUS.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/10/oklahoma-lawmakers-no-satanist-monument-because-this-is-faith-based-state/

I know how these type work ... they make a declaration against the Law and then declare it is okay ... and it is unless they are challenged - legally, they don't have a hope, pull down the old one or allow another one up ... and if the do that, it should be one that opposes the other ... for balance of course ;):P

Okay .... that's even toooo horrible for me ! :blink:

Brian's suggestion I meant the <shudder> 'clown'.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Has anyone see the giant crosses? I have seen several while driving across Texas and Oklahoma. Such structures can be seen from 20 miles away. I imagine very few complain in those states.

Groom-Texas.jpg

Edited by ralis

.I worked in Queensland for a while stayed in an employer rented house in this .... specific ... area.

From a distance I noticed large advertising billboards. WTF the highway doesn't go over there ... who can they be advertising to?

So I went for a drive to check it out.

"Jesus Loves YOOOOUUU! " , "Repent NOW! " etc etc ... in small rural 'hobby farm' streets, some across the whole front lawn obscuring the house, gardens, sunlight and view and no one in the distance to read them :blink:

Oh mannnnnnnn I would so put that on my lawn!

It would be rather expensive ... how about this ... for a fraction of the price you could hire me and a goat ( I have two front hair curly bits on top of my head like that Pan fella ) ... you know like one those 'human statues'

( I want to explain with a pic but I found this instead ... is this the answer ???

http://kinooze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Human-Statue3.jpg

PS. You may need to drug the goat so it keeps still ... actually, you can drug me too while you are it ^_^

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Holdonasec... rent Nungali and a goat, and get them stoned? Oh yeah ;).

Only if I can bring my tripod and vid camera....

(I'd sooo make a killing on redtube!!!!)

• Like 2

Has anyone see the giant crosses? I have seen several while driving across Texas and Oklahoma. Such structures can be seen from 20 miles away. I imagine very few complain in those states.

Wow that's enormous! Oh wait...I didn't see the benches, and only thought I saw windmills.

Edited by turtle shell

Or ol' Asmodai outside the Louvre...

Brilliant! Its not statue of the satan that hey have to fight to put up, they just install a copy of some art from the Louvre to celebrate art

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1