Sign in to follow this  
hamida

Chinese Thought and Taoism

Hello, I am a student in East Asian Studies. My current focus is on Chinese philosophy both pre-modern and contemporary. I look forward to discussing your views on any aspects of Chinese thought and its impact on your outlook in life.

I am a Malaysian on a short tour to the College de France (Paris) and the University of Chicago. Thank you in advance for your participation in our conversations.

Regards,

hamida

I have posted an introduction but it has yet to be published here.

Chinese thought is generally perceived as Confucian philosophy. Confucianism itself is regarded by academics, both East and West, as a cultural tradition that predated Confucius himself and encompassed all facets of socialization in China. Taoism is one aspect of Chinese thought. I wonder if the compartmentalization of Chinese thought into the different schools of Confucianism and Taoism (not to mention Chinese Buddhism) has any justification. Implicit in this question is my belief that there is none.

Your opinions on this would be helpful in the examination of my position on the matter. Thank you all in advance for your interest, if any.

Hi Hamida, and welcome to the Tao Bums.

There should be lots to interest you here.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned to the top of the Lobby,

Prior to posting elsewhere on the forums.

Basher

Sign in to follow this