Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

Different cathegories in Qi-Gong, please clarify what 'Religious Qi-Gong' is

Through Dr. Yang I came across the information that there are different schools of Qi-Gong, focusing on different aspects. Four different cathegories developed through out the history of China:

1. Medical Qi-Gong, mainly for healing
  2. Scholar Qi-Gong, for a peaceful mind
  3. Religious Qi-Gong, Third-eye and above for spiritual enlightenments &
  4. Martial Arts Qi-Gong, mostly a mix of the above to strenghten the physical body

I am aware that many teachers now-a-days teach a mix of everything. Such as I have experienced it from Mantak Chia.

Personally I would like to know how the more indepth term for the Religious Qi-Gong is.

Does anyone have information on it? And secondly, why is there a breakdown in different catherogies?

Thank you.

Edited by 4bsolute

To the best of my knowledge, Qi Gong or Chi Kung has the same effect on the body. Qi Gong will enhance the health of the body or heal when the body needs repair. The reason that Qi Gong was categorized is because there were different category of people who practice for a particular purpose. Whatever their purpose is, they just add the adjective in front of "Qi Gong" to distinguish their goals.

To the best of my knowledge, Qi Gong or Chi Kung has the same effect on the body. Qi Gong will enhance the health of the body or heal when the body needs repair. The reason that Qi Gong was categorized is because there were different category of people who practice for a particular purpose. Whatever their purpose is, they just add the adjective in front of "Qi Gong" to distinguish their goals.

At what does this mean in modern terms? That all is now (washed down) and combined into one form?

I do not believe that everything is offered yet to the west.. talking of purifying the ego

Is there any knowledge available about specifically Religious Qi-Gong is?

To me this all seems VERY similar to the yogic system. There are different yoga paths and not only one as many people think in the west.

The only video presentation I came across:

it's from Master Gary Lim and it is stated that everything in this form is highly intuitive and 'can not be taught'

...can you imagine why this is so interesting? Because everyone is at a different level of 'karma' or process of enlightenment. That means having the option to work with intuition is SUCH a valuable tool, simply because the whole densitive shift on the planet is from Navel to Heart. From Solar Plexus Chakra to Heart Chakra. And our intuition 'is' located in the heart (combined with crown).

So if anyone has more information on this, I would highly appreciate it :)

Edited by 4bsolute

I don't believe in "religious" qigong because:

- in a Chinese context, religion is hard to define.

- spirituality is different from religion.

- religious groups may practice the exact same qigong as other people.

So, I prefer to talk about "spiritual qigong" (神功)

• Like 1

Through Dr. Yang I came across the information that there are different schools of Qi-Gong, focusing on different aspects. Four different cathegories developed through out the history of China:

1. Medical Qi-Gong, mainly for healing
  2. Scholar Qi-Gong, for a peaceful mind
  3. Religious Qi-Gong, Third-eye and above for spiritual enlightenments &
  4. Martial Arts Qi-Gong, mostly a mix of the above to strenghten the physical body

I am aware that many teachers now-a-days teach a mix of everything. Such as I have experienced it from Mantak Chia.

Personally I would like to know how the more indepth term for the Religious Qi-Gong is.

Does anyone have information on it? And secondly, why is there a breakdown in different catherogies?

I have seen the breakdown as: Medical, Confucian, Daoist, Buddhist, and Martial.

In any case, religious Qigong has more emphasis on longevity and enlightenment, or in a word, Spirit (Shen), so Spiritual Qigong may be better. This contrasts with the other categories which are more focused on the physical aspects.

Their difference may also be seen loosely as the difference between the focus on inner and outer practices and their goals/results. The inner uses the basic idea of Jing-Qi-Shen (as they all do) but their focus is on the unifying transmutation to achieve spiritual results.

• Like 1

I don't believe in "religious" qigong because:

- in a Chinese context, religion is hard to define.

- spirituality is different from religion.

- religious groups may practice the exact same qigong as other people.

So, I prefer to talk about "spiritual qigong" (神功)

The term "religious qigong" are often used some superstitious group. Actually, they were performing qigong but added a religious flavor into it to deceive other mundane individuals.

神功 is not "spiritual qigong". Btw "divine power" is rather a better translation. It is only a description which simply means a special power was acquired from practicing a special method or given by god. It was assumed that this special power has been vested in one's body like superman.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

The term "religious qigong" are often used some superstitious group. Actually, they were performing qigong but added a religious flavor into it to deceive other mundane individuals.

神功 is not "spiritual qigong". Btw "divine power" is rather a better translation. It is only a description which simply means a special power was acquired from practicing a special method or given by god. It was assumed that this special power has been vested in one's body like superman.

Your overlooking the obvious point of the classification by people like Yang, who was referenced as the source for the classifications:

Religious was a classification because it was Religious folks engaged in the practice... whether Taoist or Buddhist...

They gave the focus to the inner and alchemy methods.

Your overlooking the obvious point of the classification by people like Yang, who was referenced as the source for the classifications:

"like Yang" what is that mean....???

"like Yang" what is that mean....???

Are you reading the OP?

Through Dr. Yang...

The topic is in relation to Yang's classifications. Thus, it would behoove one to read what he has said and others have said concerning similar classifications.

The topic is in relation to Yang's classifications. Thus, it would behoove one to read what he has said and others have said concerning similar classifications.

Yes, Dr. Yang has not stated it more differenciated as I have written it above. Like I mentioned I adore to find more practices that involve intuition. That is my only bigger goal at this time, to fully re-connect. I have hard times working through a certain set practise without introducing myself.

In my opinion, no one ever should do so. But who these days is really in touch or willing to get back in tough with his intuition? The overall focus, the demand from people, is clearly not on this side. Maybe they do not know what to do (which is nothing bad or wrong) and want spoon-fed practices, I do not know.

In any case, thank you very much for providing further information!

I would classify it as:

1) Qigong Self-healing which could be broken down into

1) Simple Health 2) Spiritual goal of high level (see below)

2) Medical Qigong (wai qi liao fa) (with the 3 levels below)

3) other - including Martial

Further, there is low level - body , mid-level - body & mental, and high level - Spiritual with one goal of achieving Destiny. This is the level that allows one to choose whether to come back to Earth to help others or not.

Mostly the Buddhist & Taoist practices are extremely intertwined and can fall into all of the above categories.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 1

I would classify it as:

1) Qigong Self-healing which could be broken down into

1) Simple Health 2) Spiritual goal of high level (see below)

2) Medical Qigong (wai qi liao fa) (with the 3 levels below)

3) other - including Martial

Further, there is low level - body , mid-level - body & mental, and high level - Spiritual with one goal of achieving Destiny. This is the level that allows one to choose whether to come back to Earth to help others or not.

Mostly the Buddhist & Taoist practices are extremely intertwined and can fall into all of the above categories.

Very true and good idea... particularly if one introduces the three categories by showing the Taoist and Buddhist (and Confucian or other) historical influences.

Sign in to follow this