zerostao

sobering facts

after i thought about the title of this thread, i googled it,,and ok there is a campaign of sorts i reckon that highlights the troubles of alcohol. makes sense, and thats very useful i am sure,,,

but this thread is not about that topic(unless you want it to be?!)

this thread is to provide off topic space for bums to place/share some thoughts , that if we look thru the lense of reality, we may think , really? really?! or sth like that . i realize(pun) that i may be a bit unclear on this

so here is an example of what i am calling a sobering fact;

in the next 40 years humanity will have to produce the same amount of food

that is equal to the amount of all food produced in the all the history of humanity up to this point.

so any bum can add to the conversation by stating another 'sobering fact' or commenting on already posted 'sobering facts'

i heard my 'sobering fact' from a farmer(who was sober((incidently))

i asked him if he thought we could do that (produce an amount of food in the next 40 years equal to the sum total of all food produced by all humanity from the beginning of humanity (on earth) until now

he said yes we could. so, i asked why he thought that we could

and he said becoz we have to

• Like 2

my second sobering thought to share

99.9% of all species that have ever lived on this planet are now extinct

and, this is a 2 part sobering fact

currently each day, each and every day,

200 more plant and animal species go extinct

I think most of you have probably seen it but this GIF displaying the relative sizes of planets & known stars is amazing.

1232024489_The_size_of_planets.gif

Edited by Ish
  • Like 14

Here's a sobering fact:

they add GMO corn syrup to beer.

Propylene glycol too.

And they don't write it on the label.

In the 17th century, German legislators adopted a Beer Purity Act which demanded that beer contain only three ingredients: water, barely, and hops.

This would make Ralph Nader, the pioneer of the truth-in-labeling laws, a hero... but later it was replaced by the Racial Purity Act... under this one Ralph Nader would have been screwed.

• Like 4

Here's a sobering fact:

they add GMO corn syrup to beer.

Propylene glycol too.

And they don't write it on the label.

Well, time to start homebrewing.

Brian, what beer do you drink?

Almost entirely local microbrews. As I type, I'm drinking an IPA brewed 3 miles from my house with hops grown in this same valley, poured from a growler... ;)

• Like 8

I'm very new to regular beer consumption, which is why I never discovered its amazing properties as a remedy for insomnia. I never had beer in my house, I would only have one when eating out, usually with seafood. But lately I've been hanging out with an aficionado of seafood and wound up drinking beer regularly enough to finally notice that it does what wine, sake, cognac, vodka, whisky, tequila, champagne or mezcal could never accomplish -- it puts me to sleep. It's the win-win combo of hops and alcohol that does it! I tried alcohol and I tried hops (in decoctions, even in herbal pillows -- this is an herbalist's traditional prescription for insomnia) but neither one worked for the purpose by itself. So now I have to live with beer and drink it at night at that, which is actually a bummer because I want a cup of tea at night, not beer, but for the greater good, beer it is.

However, I'm going back to a gluten-free diet sometime before the New Year, maybe tomorrow (I let myself cheat a bit for a while but as usual it starts sneaking in more and more, the only way with this particular devil is cold turkey...) So now I've got to find an efficient brand of gluten-free beer. So far no luck -- everything gluten-free I've encountered on the market has super low alcohol content (like, 3%), and I have pretty high tolerance for alcohol, so to get something this low to synergize with hops I would need, like, four bottles, which is not realistic and would defy the very purpose it is consumed for, for obvious reasons.

So if anyone knows of a source, fountain, wellspring, barrel... of palatable gluten free garbage free beer with higher alcohol content, please share! I have been able to put in two hours of meditation almost every day ever since the beer discovery, it's a miracle of discipline for me, all because it gives me precious extra sleep!

• Like 1

The amount of gluten in beers is usually very low and even some people with coeliacs can drink many of them. Found this out reading a paper for people with coeliacs who had a column for beer tests. Atleast all local Finnish beers were ok so the beer you have in stores might be different.

Found this thread that seemed interesting but don't have time to read...

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/523125

I think most of you have probably seen it but this GIF displaying the relative sizes of planets & known stars is amazing.

1232024489_The_size_of_planets.gif

That went way beyond what I have seen before about the big star sizes, and such pretty colors too.

That image traumatized my wife. She still get chills sometimes when she thinks about it, or when I mention it ... But I tell her, size doesn't matter Hun! :)

• Like 3

but later it was replaced by the Racial Purity Act...

Which of course ended pretty quickly afterwards in historical terms, and is now relegated to history, leaving Germany one of the most non-fascist states in the modern era. Sobering fact: There are more nazis in the US than in Germany.

But the Reinheitsgebot of 1516 is still in effect (even if it's more commonly used as a marketing tool today) because the good things in life persevere :)

For the sleep-aid, look for Valerian root and hops combined in an alcohol base (tincture). Something like this maybe:

http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/valerian-hops-dormeasan/

Or, for long-term effects that take a little while to kick-in, St John's Wort tincture.

dont they put gmo corn syrup into everything?

and corn will need to be modified further so it can become a legume like soybeans

or corn will be problematic to continue to produce, it wears the soil out

and it cannot absorb nitrogen from the soil on its own and that is why all the nitrogen fertilizer gets added

but if was a legume it could continue as a viable crop

becoz nitrogen fertilizer will soon go the way of the dinosaur

it requires too much energy to produce

i would mention how much of our resources we have exhausted in just the past 30 years

as another sobering fact, but i'll save that one for a future post

oh the webs us humans weave, if we could only have let nature be nature,,anyways

this is a reminder to me that if i cook me up some corn whisky its just bastardized and not traditionally authentic.

so gonna go with rye

been 4 years since i made any absinthe,,,,,,,,,,,,but i digress with a smile

probably time to go green again

beer discovery is always a good thing

it helps with emittin qi also

mezcal? nononono heheh mezcal and hillbilly do not mix

• Like 2

As xor points out, most beers are pretty low in gluten -- well, not wheat beers, that is...

It is fairly common to use two-row barley, which has even less gluten than is found in the barley grown for food. Two-row barley hardly has enough gluten to make a decent loaf of bread.

My thought, unless you are extremely sensitive to gluten or the resolution is more of a philosophical thing, would be to find a good local brewery you trust for quality ingredients. The smaller and closer the brewery, the fresher and less adulterated the beer is likely to be, and therefore the greater the benefits. My normal recommendation is to prefer unfiltered beers because they are so much richer in "the good stuff" but I'm not sure whether that also increases to gluten content...

A good local barley wine might be worth looking for, too! Local place here makes an awesome one called Hellbender http://www.pisgahbrewing.com/beer/seasonal They also make a nice cherry-raspberry Belgian ale at 9% named Red Devil but referred to by one of the girls who works at the taproom as "the pantydropper." Point is, a good local brewery can offer lots of options. Check out what's in your area and see who has a taproom you can visit to sample & ask questions!

A real hellbender:

• Like 2

When a man’s busy, why, leisure
Strikes him as wonderful pleasure:
‘Faith, and at leisure once is he?
Straightway he wants to be busy.

– Robert Browning

Which of course ended pretty quickly afterwards in historical terms, and is now relegated to history, leaving Germany one of the most non-fascist states in the modern era. Sobering fact: There are more nazis in the US than in Germany.

But the Reinheitsgebot of 1516 is still in effect (even if it's more commonly used as a marketing tool today) because the good things in life persevere :)

For the sleep-aid, look for Valerian root and hops combined in an alcohol base (tincture). Something like this maybe:

http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/valerian-hops-dormeasan/

Or, for long-term effects that take a little while to kick-in, St John's Wort tincture.

Thank you for the thought. I practice herbology, and have used everything from many traditions. Both St John's wort and valerian as sleeping aids are only effective when sleep is disrupted by anxiety. Not my insomnia. Mine is an outcome of night vigils with a sick family member for a few years which messed up my signaling mechanisms -- "I'm sleepy" became a biofeedback command, "don't fall asleep!!" Hard to mend, working on it...

Edited by Taomeow

Low content of gluten or high content of gluten don't matter for purposes of immune conflicts which it causes in pretty much everyone, not just people with explicit sensitivities, and in any amounts. I've studied the subject in some depth. Unlike an "allergy," an immune conflict is not dose dependent. Any exposure to an amount large enough to be noticed by a B-lymphocyte triggers a cascade of immune reactions that in the case of gluten persists for 8 months after a single dose. When I say it's the devil I don't mean to speak metaphorically.

I don't have any explicit adverse reactions to gluten, but I'm the only one in the family who doesn't have them, so, based on what I know about it, and based on indirect personal evidence (for me it's highly addictive -- whereas as a child I hated all grain products -- a clear indicator of damage and a flood of internal opiates released in response to persistent consumption, hence addictive properties), I figured that I should avoid it. I decided it's not a good policy to shut down my understanding just because it makes things a bit more complicated. (I'm a taoist after all, we complicate in order to simplify. :) )

• Like 1

beer discovery is always a good thing

it helps with emittin qi also

mezcal? nononono heheh mezcal and hillbilly do not mix

Hillbilly's loss then. :D I had some from a woman who lives in Oaxaca, Mexico, it was home brewed, and at first I was afraid to try it, Oaxaca is full of brujos and they are the ones who make it, typically. One cautious sip and it was like liquid fire, it was way stronger than anything bottled commercially, but it was such a wow, a wake-up call to all senses -- such complex and rich flavor. The woman said that agave which made tequila a commercial success was a marketing accident, could have been some other cactus, quite a few are used, and there's brews out there more obscure than mezcal, which are however as good or better, and better than tequila. Hard to believe but then, all the best things in life come in small obscure batches from hidden-away places, don't they? :)

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5

Low content of gluten or high content of gluten don't matter for purposes of immune conflicts which it causes in pretty much everyone, not just people with explicit sensitivities, and in any amounts.

In that case most gluten-free beers(and many other products labeled as such) are out as well since they can contain small amounts of gluten. The amount of gluten in many normal beers is somewhere in the lower tens of parts per million. Below 20 ppm is considered gluten-free in the US.

Edited by xor

Germany is very strict about food quality.

GMO is mostly forbidden especially GMO Rice.

I do know this because the company I work in

is importing this but had to burn it in the past.

While in France and Netherlands they are just

wondering and still keep selling.

So a good Beer in Germany is clean

as well Coke is using sugar not fructose syrup

(which can be from GMO Corn)

In US one find it under Kosher products with a yellow cap.

Mine is an outcome of night vigils with a sick family member for a few years which messed up my signaling mechanisms -- "I'm sleepy" became a biofeedback command, "don't fall asleep!!" Hard to mend, working on it...

Beer work as following as a psychic said to me.

It turns mental energy into raw energy which is

similar to the earthing of the energy but only temporary.

• Like 1

In that case most gluten-free beers(and many other products labeled as such) are out as well since they can contain small amounts of gluten. The amount of gluten in many normal beers is somewhere in the lower tens of parts per million. Below 20 ppm is considered gluten-free in the US.

In my family there's one case of extreme sensitivity. A canary in the mine -- dermatitis in response to small amounts of gluten, immediate (within an hour, and then impossible to get rid of for months.) So, his reactions are not only to actual gluten but to something that can only be explained from some homeopathic perspective -- to its energetic signature (there's better taoist explanations but I don't want to digress). He can safely drink all kinds of alcohol not derived from grains and also the ones derived from rice, but reacts to even vodka or whisky and can't have these. Beer -- out of the question. Gluten free beer -- possibly a problem too, is currently under scrutiny.

Germany is very strict about food quality.

GMO is mostly forbidden especially GMO Rice.

Naja... It's still a highly industrialised land and the govt agencies are constantly being lobbied. GMO is verboten, that's true, but there are plenty of other less than kosher things available in the supermarkets here.

And not every beer has the Reinheitsgebot on the label...

• Like 2